Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gozaimasu
    • By gozaimasu 11th Mar 18, 2:48 PM
    • 427Posts
    • 1,885Thanks
    gozaimasu
    Estate Agent dormant company
    • 11th Mar 18, 2:48 PM
    Estate Agent dormant company 11th Mar 18 at 2:48 PM
    Please delete this thread - GDPR we should be allowed to Right To Erasure.
    Last edited by gozaimasu; 12-05-2018 at 4:00 AM.
    Forum etiquette - Be nice to all moneysavers.
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 11th Mar 18, 2:52 PM
    • 25,017 Posts
    • 68,500 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 11th Mar 18, 2:52 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 2:52 PM
    One's registered company name does not need to be the same as a trading name. Mine are totally different.

One doesn't have to have a trading company. You can be a sole trader or have an Limited Liability Partnership.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 11th Mar 18, 2:53 PM
    • 58,476 Posts
    • 51,849 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 11th Mar 18, 2:53 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 2:53 PM
    Does their official letterhead give this Company number?
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Mar 18, 4:31 PM
    • 17,383 Posts
    • 15,729 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:31 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:31 PM
    I don't have their official letterhead.
    Originally posted by gozaimasu
    So you have absolutely no idea whether THAT limited company is the trading entity that you're looking at dealing with.

I don't want to give my details to them if they're dodgy.
    Quite some leap.

The address of the company on Companies House is listed at number 12, the address with the property ombudsman is number 20, and their website says number 12. They are registered as a Data Controller with the ICO with property number 20. Interesting discrepancy. One of those addresses must be out of date?
    Not necessarily. They do not have to trade from their registered office. Many limited companies use their accountant as their registered office.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 11th Mar 18, 6:26 PM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 2,416 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:26 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:26 PM
    Is the company actually registered as dormant?

There is also a small companies exemption which exempts smaller companies from having to publish accounts. This exemption does not mean the company is dormant.

It is difficult to comment unless you give us a link to the actual Companies House page.

Is it also possible that there is another company with a similar name? You would need to have the company number to be sure which company we are talking about.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Mar 18, 6:55 PM
    • 44,091 Posts
    • 52,230 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:55 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:55 PM
    A local estate agent is registered as a Dormant Company on Companies House as per this https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/46/section/480

This means that the estate agent has ceased trading, yet.....

Does this mean that any buyer or seller should avoid this estate agent?
    Don't see how it could affect a buyer. If the EA finds them a property, the buyer will be buying from, and paying, the seller, not the EA.

The seller will have a contract with them, probably requiring payment either
    * if they introduce a buyer or
    * if a buyer they introduce Completes

Not sure how it wouldd matter to the seller provided a sale resulted.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 11th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    • 9,532 Posts
    • 12,789 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    As above, but a fairly good indication that something ain't right about the accounting at the agent:
    • Linton
    • By Linton 11th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 9,386 Posts
    • 9,519 Thanks
    Linton
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    It doesnt indicate anything good or bad. Perhaps the dormant company was a previous owner who sold off the estate agency to someone else who continued to use the same name for the business.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 11th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    • 58,476 Posts
    • 51,849 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    I don't have their official letterhead. I don't want to give my details to them if they're dodgy.
    Then you have no idea who you are dealing with. Trading names are often retained while ownership behind the scenes is with a totally different person or organisation. Brand names have a commercial value when a business is bought and sold.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 11th Mar 18, 10:20 PM
    • 8,056 Posts
    • 8,904 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Perhaps the dormant company was a previous owner who sold off the estate agency to someone else who continued to use the same name for the business.
    Originally posted by Linton
    Many formerly independent small chains of estate agents are now owned by Countrywide PLC.

Leaving the original company listed as dormant prevents anyone else registering a new company with the same name, so it's a cheap way of partially protecting the brand name.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,526Posts Today

8,137Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin