Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fly-catchers
    • By fly-catchers 11th Mar 18, 1:10 PM
    • 174Posts
    • 319Thanks
    fly-catchers
    How can you ensure you don't pay twice switching
    • 11th Mar 18, 1:10 PM
    How can you ensure you don't pay twice switching 11th Mar 18 at 1:10 PM
    I moved from coop energy to Tonik in late January. Just before I started the process I gave the coop my current readings. I got a DD setup confirmation from Tonik a few days later and them it went all quiet. A few weeks into February I chased them up and it appears my switching welcome email had not been sent to me. And therefore I had not provided a final reading to them or the coop as I should have! I was asked to provide a current reading roughly two weeks after I had presumably been switched to Tonik. When I went online the electricity figures were already filled in with higher than my current actual readings. In addition the economy 7 readings were the wrong way round. After contacting Tonik they put in my actual reading the correct way round. And said that they got these figures from the Data Collector. And asked for me to give updated figures in a weeks time so they could see how much energy I was using on average and out in a dispute. I did this and now was told to wait for a response. Since them my first DD has gone to Tonik and on the coop web site it shows a debit balance of about £650. But no breakdown of the bill. So have no idea what my actual energy figure was on the actual day I switched. But do have an accurate figure roughly two weeks before and two weeks after. So how can you be certain you won't end up paying more than you should?
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 11th Mar 18, 1:53 PM
    • 10,435 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 11th Mar 18, 1:53 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 1:53 PM
    I take weekly meter reading during swap.
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 11th Mar 18, 1:58 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    • 11th Mar 18, 1:58 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 1:58 PM
    You should as a matter of course take a reading around the time you initiate a switch. You should only give this to the new supplier and they should request it. Usually they send a reminder via email.

If you did not take one, but have readings two weeks before and after, you can look at the difference between those two readings. Work out the average daily use. Then using that, work out roughly what your readings would have been.

This is what Tonik should be doing, from what they have said to you. They will then supply that opening reading to your old supplier and agree a finish/start date.

So, when it is all resloved, the closing reading from one supplier should be very close to the opening reading of your new supplier.

This shows you are not "paying twice" or anything like that.

Without an actual meter reading on the day the switch too place, there will always be a margin or error. But if your readings are pretty accurate, which yours will be, as you have readings taken near the time of the switch, any error will only equate to a small amount of change in difference.

So do not worry about it.

As long as the opening reading of your new supplier follows on closely from the closing reading of your old one, all is good.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 11th Mar 18, 1:59 PM
    • 5,723 Posts
    • 3,508 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 11th Mar 18, 1:59 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 1:59 PM
    I moved from coop energy to Tonik in late January. Just before I started the process I gave the coop my current readings. I got a DD setup confirmation from Tonik a few days later and them it went all quiet. A few weeks into February I chased them up and it appears my switching welcome email had not been sent to me. And therefore I had not provided a final reading to them or the coop as I should have! I was asked to provide a current reading roughly two weeks after I had presumably been switched to Tonik. When I went online the electricity figures were already filled in with higher than my current actual readings. In addition the economy 7 readings were the wrong way round. After contacting Tonik they put in my actual reading the correct way round. And said that they got these figures from the Data Collector. And asked for me to give updated figures in a weeks time so they could see how much energy I was using on average and out in a dispute. I did this and now was told to wait for a response. Since them my first DD has gone to Tonik and on the coop web site it shows a debit balance of about £650. But no breakdown of the bill. So have no idea what my actual energy figure was on the actual day I switched. But do have an accurate figure roughly two weeks before and two weeks after. So how can you be certain you won't end up paying more than you should?
    Originally posted by fly-catchers
    You need to understand what each supplier is required to do in the switching process. Firstly, the gaining supplier manages all aspects of a supply transfer including asking you for meter readings 5 days before the actual date of transfer. These readings are then verified by the Data Collectors and passed to the two suppliers to close and open your accounts. The losing supplier should ignore any readings that you provide in the 5 days up to transfer. It!!!8217;s sole Licence obligation is to use its reasonable efforts to raise a Final Bill using the verified meter readings within 6 weeks of the date of transfer.

In the unusual event that your opening and closing readings do not agree, then contact the gaining supplier and ask them to deal with the problem. Note: the meter readings used to open and close your accounts may not be the same as the ones that you provided.

https://octopus.energy/blog/secret-life-opening-meter-reading/
    • fly-catchers
    • By fly-catchers 12th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    fly-catchers
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    I got my final bill today from the coop. On the day units it shows I used 33157 days units up to the 6th February. The starting figure that Tonik are using is 29821 which was my actual usage on the 18th February. The night units are 17282 used by the coop and 15216 by Tonik. So I do end paying for a lot of units twice! Not happy!
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 12th Mar 18, 9:47 AM
    • 5,723 Posts
    • 3,508 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:47 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:47 AM
    I got my final bill today from the coop. On the day units it shows I used 33157 days units up to the 6th February. The starting figure that Tonik are using is 29821 which was my actual usage on the 18th February. The night units are 17282 used by the coop and 15216 by Tonik. So I do end paying for a lot of units twice! Not happy!
    No you donít - this is a billing error. Talk to your new supplier and ask them for the opening readings that have been verified by the Data Collectors. Ask them to contact your new supplier to confirm that these readings will be used to close your account. Suppliers are required to use the same readings. If the Coop refuses to do so, then raise a written formal complaint.

From Standard Licence Conditions
    Provision of final bill

27.17 Where the responsibility for the supply of electricity to a Domestic Customer transfers from the licensee to another Electricity Supplier or otherwise terminates, the licensee must take all reasonable steps to send a final Bill or statement of account of the Domestic Customerís account within 6 weeks of the supplier transfer or termination of the Domestic Supply Contract.

27.18 Where subsequent information becomes available to correct an error in the final Bill or statement of account issued pursuant to paragraph 27.17, the licensee shall send a corrected Bill or statement of account as soon as reasonably practicable after the subsequent information becomes available.
    Last edited by Hengus; 12-03-2018 at 10:08 AM.
    • fly-catchers
    • By fly-catchers 12th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    fly-catchers
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    Should I cancel the DD with the coop in the meantime? The figure that the Coop have used was one supplied by the Data collector. But when I queried it with Tonik they took my own reading and inputed that into their system. And ask for another reading a week later. Which I gave them. They them said they would put in a dispute and I should wait for the result which might take up to 8 weeks.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 12th Mar 18, 10:30 AM
    • 5,723 Posts
    • 3,508 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:30 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:30 AM
    Should I cancel the DD with the coop in the meantime? The figure that the Coop have used was one supplied by the Data collector. But when I queried it with Tonik they took my own reading and inputed that into their system. And ask for another reading a week later. Which I gave them. They them said they would put in a dispute and I should wait for the result which might take up to 8 weeks.
    Why did they accept your readings when there is an industry procedure in place? This doesn!!!8217;t stack up. If it has gone to an Agreed Readings Dispute this can take up to 12 weeks to resolve. Sorry.
    Last edited by Hengus; 12-03-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,083Posts Today

5,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin