Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Equi
    • By Equi 11th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Equi
    Pcp loss of confidence
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    Pcp loss of confidence 11th Mar 18 at 11:26 AM
    I got a pcp car one year ago. It was a one year old car at purchase so has two more years warrenty which runs out October 2018. This year it was due for its manditory service so off it went and at the time I mentioned it started funny. They said I was ďstarting it wrongĒ after the service they mentioned it was quite loud and to book it in again when I was free for a look at.

Fast forward about a week and a half and it wouldnít start several times and had loads of flashing lights and a warning about brake force something - aa had to come and take it away and they said it was the starting battery. It was replaced and they said it was ready in about 4 days but when I mentioned the engine noise they said yes itís loud weíll have a look.

Four weeks later they still have it, theyíve replaced timeing chain and other parts and stripped the engine totally but it still makes an abnormal noise.

Iíve not had any further word on it but frankly I am not sure I want this car back. I use it for work and I donít want to drive a car that may cut out when Iím driving vulnerable clients about! Also I donít want to get to October and then be stuck paying for a lot of work on a car I plan to give back when the pcp ends anyway. I got a ďnewĒ car cause I was sick of having to fix issues on older cheaper cars!

I know I need to talk to them and the finance team but I wanted to know if anyone else had been through this and what the outcome was?
Page 1
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 11th Mar 18, 4:41 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:41 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:41 PM
    It is virtually impossible to start a modern car wrongly - they cross check that clutch is down, in neutral or park (for autos) and some cars even take charge of how long to turn the starter motor for.

If the car is under warranty then the manufacturer is involved. If the dealer are making a bodge of it, then contact the manufacturer to complain.

I'm afraid on a two year old car you are going to struggle to return it, but if the repair is not satisfactory, you need to start complaining to your finance company as they are jointly liable for the car.

Keeping the car 4 weeks - have they given you a courtesy car? If not I would be complaining very strongly. Unfortunately, I think they have identified you as clueless owner who is sitting back rather than someone they need to deal with to get you off their back. If the service area is in the car sales area, an effective technique is to complain loudly but politely in earshot of other customers who were going to buy a similar car.
    • Equi
    • By Equi 11th Mar 18, 4:52 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Equi
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:52 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:52 PM
    Thatís what I said how ca one start a car wrong?!

Yes I have a courtesy car but it took two weeks to get it as I didnít have anyone to take me to the dealership to pick it up. Itís a lovely car (about three times what mines worth!) so frankly they can keep mine as long as they want

Itís a smart car itís being dealt with by Mercedes themself. Weíre long time loyal customers of theirs with two from them now - do you think they would maybe even extend the warrenty a year cause of the hassle ?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Mar 18, 4:56 PM
    • 17,368 Posts
    • 15,703 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:56 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:56 PM
    After 30 days from purchase, you do not have an automatic right to a refund. The supplier has a right to repair.
    Between 30 days and six months from purchase, the presumption is that problems were present at purchase, unless the supplier can show they weren't.
    After six months, the presumption is that problems were not present at purchase, unless you can show they were.

Where in this time line are you? If you bought the car at 1yo, and it reaches 3yo in seven months time, then you've had it a lot longer than 6mo.

Outside six months, you're really looking at the warranty for problems you incur - and it sounds as if the warranty is stepping firmly up to the plate. If you really believe you have lost confidence in the car once repaired, then you should probably look to sell it and buy something else.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 11th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    • 11th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    Thatís what I said how ca one start a car wrong?!

Yes I have a courtesy car but it took two weeks to get it as I didnít have anyone to take me to the dealership to pick it up. Itís a lovely car (about three times what mines worth!) so frankly they can keep mine as long as they want

Itís a smart car itís being dealt with by Mercedes themself. Weíre long time loyal customers of theirs with two from them now - do you think they would maybe even extend the warrenty a year cause of the hassle ?
    Originally posted by Equi
    Mercs do all the starting for you. As long as you leave the accelerator alone, it is totally in control.

If the courtesy car is OK then you haven't really got much of a complaint. I'd expect Mercedes to be pretty good at complaints - dealers hate being on the wrong end of a Mercedes complaint - they are paranoid enough about getting less than 10 out of 10 for a customer service rating - I've had several phone calls after which it has become clear that their main motivation is to get you to rate them 10 out of 10.
    • Equi
    • By Equi 11th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Equi
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I know the car has always been "loud" and funny sounding, but when i did my test drive it was the first thing i said and i was told they tend to sound louder cause of the engine in the back...who knows

yes i know merc are always very good at dealing with complaints and i love the courtesy car but i cant use it for my clients only for driving to and from the base at work...so lots of taxis and busses and walking has been done which is not great for my clients

im also worried that at the end of the 3 year contract they will turn around and say its depreciated more than necessary and i wont be able to get out of it. I dont do over the miles, which is 7k pa.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 11th Mar 18, 9:47 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:47 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:47 PM
    im also worried that at the end of the 3 year contract they will turn around and say its depreciated more than necessary and i wont be able to get out of it. I dont do over the miles, which is 7k pa.
    Originally posted by Equi
    The whole point of PCP is that the depreciation is irrelevant - it is their risk. The only problem you have is unreasonable damage.

The finance company can't complain if you have had it fully serviced under warranty.
    • Equi
    • By Equi 12th Mar 18, 12:36 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Equi
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:36 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:36 AM
    Oh thats great to know, thank you.

Probably a silly qu but would i be at all entitled to any of my monthly payment back as i have not actually had the car due to faults?
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 12th Mar 18, 4:04 AM
    • 4,717 Posts
    • 1,753 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:04 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:04 AM
    Which model is it, and does it have the stop/start system?
    There have been serious design faults with MHD Smart engines with this feature and several recalls.
    We had one and the previous owner had the engine completely rebuilt, new bearing liners, belt tensioner modified and much more. It worked fine for us but we changed it for one with power steering after a short while as DW has back problems.
    The problem with the car seems to be that the designers use a single starter/alternator which is belt driven. The belt needs to be very tight which leads to the bearings failing and the belt going out of alignment. Cure is to replace the bearings and fit modified belt tensioner.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 12th Mar 18, 11:00 AM
    • 655 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Raxiel
    Is it loud outside the car or just inside the cabin? I had a car that had a single grommet missing from the bulkhead, and it was surprising the amount of extra noise it allowed through.
    • Equi
    • By Equi 12th Mar 18, 3:19 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Equi
    It!!!8217;s loud both inside and out.

It!!!8217;s a smart forfour passion.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,561Posts Today

9,306Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin