Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thomascarnihan
    • By thomascarnihan 11th Mar 18, 11:22 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 5Thanks
    thomascarnihan
    car park or garage
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:22 AM
    car park or garage 11th Mar 18 at 11:22 AM
    I was with a friend recently going abroad on Dover ferry.We called into BP Garage at Stanstead we filled up with diesel, and parked in front pf BP shop,went inside and paid for diesel and bought a coffee , we were making good time so we decided we would take a nap...never saw anything to say this was a car park and that there was a time limit. My friend has just got a met parking ticket through post for staying just over 1 hour? 100 ordered to pay..2 questions when BP built this place was it registered as a garage for fueling cars ? and the definition of a car park in the dictionary is somewhere to leave cars.We never (left) the car only to pay for fuel we bought from garage after that we remained in the car all the time till we left to continue down to Dover...My thinking is if it's registered as a garage it can't be registered as a car park as well? i'm no legal expert so hopefully somebody might enlighten me.
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Mar 18, 11:25 AM
    • 60,303 Posts
    • 42,961 Thanks
    soolin
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:25 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:25 AM
    I was with a friend recently going abroad on Dover ferry.We called into BP Garage at Stanstead we filled up with diesel, and parked in front pf BP shop,went inside and paid for diesel and bought a coffee , we were making good time so we decided we would take a nap...never saw anything to say this was a car park and that there was a time limit. My friend has just got a met parking ticket through post for staying just over 1 hour? 100 ordered to pay..2 questions when BP built this place was it registered as a garage for fueling cars ? and the definition of a car park in the dictionary is somewhere to leave cars.We never (left) the car only to pay for fuel we bought from garage after that we remained in the car all the time till we left to continue down to Dover...My thinking is if it's registered as a garage it can't be registered as a car park as well? i'm no legal expert so hopefully somebody might enlighten me.
    Originally posted by thomascarnihan

You need to read this thread first and then ask if you have any additional questions:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 11th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    • 7,137 Posts
    • 6,583 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    You are thinking too hard.

Ni idea what a registered garage is, but it is perfectly possible to park a car without getting out of it.

Your friend, as the car's registered keeper, should appeal using the template in post #1 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread.

That's all that needs to happen at this time.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 11th Mar 18, 12:13 PM
    • 9,203 Posts
    • 8,967 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 11th Mar 18, 12:13 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 12:13 PM
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences.

Parking Eye, Smart and a smaller company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They nearly always lose) and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 11th Mar 18, 7:30 PM
    • 57,309 Posts
    • 70,913 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:30 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:30 PM
    You need to read this thread first and then ask if you have any additional questions:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822
    Originally posted by soolin
    Please tell the registered keeper to appeal AFTER reading the above.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• thomascarnihan
    • By thomascarnihan 11th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    thomascarnihan
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    car park or garage
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    Thank you will do...Your right probably thinking to hard ,but my point was when I go into car parks I always look for signs warnings etc as to where to pay and how long to stay etc. In this case we took BP to be a garage for fueling cars and did'nt even think to look for car parking signs, maybe thats a bit misleading on BP's part ...There could be some mileage into when BP had garage built planning aplication would be for petrol station...and unless that was changed they dont have planning permision to use it as a car park, and on those grounds an apeal might be worth looking into... my friend has filed an apeal on the grounds you sighted and have been copied and pasted and sent off online thanks again...
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 11th Mar 18, 8:00 PM
    • 7,137 Posts
    • 6,583 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:00 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:00 PM
    ...There could be some mileage into when BP had garage built planning aplication would be for petrol station...and unless that was changed they dont have planning permision to use it as a car park, and on those grounds an apeal might be worth looking into...
    There couldn't... honestly.

Some (most?) judges seem to take the view 'if the local council aren't bothered, then why should I?'

Equally ridiculous would be anyone suggesting that you sleeping in your car turns the place into a campsite.

Again, you are thinking too hard.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 11th Mar 18, 8:02 PM
    • 57,309 Posts
    • 70,913 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:02 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:02 PM
    There could be some mileage into when BP had garage built planning aplication would be for petrol station...and unless that was changed they dont have planning permision to use it as a car park, and on those grounds an appeal might be worth looking into.
    Well no, that's completely the wrong tactic. Please read the NEWBIES thread.

... my friend has filed an appeal on the grounds you sighted and have been copied and pasted and sent off online thanks again..
    Do you mean he appealed using the template from the NEWBIES thread that we cited? And didn't say who was driving.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• thomascarnihan
    • By thomascarnihan 12th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    thomascarnihan
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    car park or garage
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    Yes apeal was copied and pasted usuing newbies template with no admitance as to who was driving..THANKS
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Mar 18, 8:48 AM
    • 35,548 Posts
    • 19,746 Thanks
    Quentin
    Get your friend to check out the PPC's (current) attitude to progressing to legal action at the BMPA website!
    • thomascarnihan
    • By thomascarnihan 27th Mar 18, 10:02 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    thomascarnihan
    apeal rejected
    Hi Re: Parking Charge Notice Number
    Site: (782) BP Stansted
    Issue date: 05/03/2018
    POPLA Verification Code
    Thank you for your correspondence received in regards to Parking Charge Notice After careful
    consideration we have decided to reject your appeal for the following reasons:
    The terms and conditions of parking are clearly stated on the signs prominently displayed around this site. These
    include that there is a maximum permitted stay in this area of 30 minutes. Whilst it is hard to understand your appeal as
    it appears to have been cut and pasted from the inetrnet with links that have not been attached your vehicle remained
    on site for longer than the maximum permitted stay therefore we believe the charge notice was issued correctly and we
    are upholding it.
    We are confident that our signs are prominently displayed, clearly state the terms and conditions of parking, and meet
    the requirements set out by the code of practice and are similar to those that were the subject of the Supreme Court
    case you refer to.
    We do not believe we have to provide a copy of our contract at this point in time as it is commercially sensitive, if
    however, it proves necessary to seek payment through the courts and the court requires proof of landowner authority at
    that time it will be provided then, although the fact that landowner permits our signs to be displayed is evidence of the
    authority.
    This decision, which has been based on the facts of the case and takes into account our consideration of any mitigating
    circumstances, is our final decision.
    You have now reached the end of our internal appeals procedure and you now have a number of options:where do i go from here...please..
    Last edited by thomascarnihan; 03-04-2018 at 6:44 PM.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 27th Mar 18, 10:05 PM
    • 57,309 Posts
    • 70,913 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Quick!

Remove your VRN and POPLA code and PCN number this minute!

• thomascarnihan
    • By thomascarnihan 3rd Apr 18, 6:40 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    thomascarnihan
    car park or garage
    how do i remove the details you told me to?
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 3rd Apr 18, 6:42 PM
    • 2,457 Posts
    • 3,694 Thanks
    gardner1
    Edit your post 11
    • thomascarnihan
    • By thomascarnihan 3rd Apr 18, 6:46 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    thomascarnihan
    coupon mad
    Thanks just seen edit so have done what you said thanks....Where should I go now? apeal through popla?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 3rd Apr 18, 6:46 PM
    • 57,309 Posts
    • 70,913 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Obviously hitting 'edit' - the button under that post.

Please don't tell us you are trying to use this forum on a phone, if so, DON'T.

• KeithP
    • By KeithP 3rd Apr 18, 7:30 PM
    • 7,137 Posts
    • 6,583 Thanks
    KeithP
    Thanks just seen edit so have done what you said thanks...
    A whole week to edit your post??

Let's hope the PPCs are slower than you are.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 3rd Apr 18, 7:40 PM
    • 57,309 Posts
    • 70,913 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    You know it's POPLA time, the NEWBIES thread post #3 tells you how to (likely) win that.

• thomascarnihan
    • By thomascarnihan 1st May 18, 9:16 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    thomascarnihan
    apeal successfull
    Bp stanstead 30th Apr 18 at 2:30 PM

I got a ticket for overstaying my welcome at BP Stanstead back in february. I did what I was advised on here by copying and pasting the required letter that was on here, not admitting I was driver...MET parking services decline my apeal to them, saying it was a copied and pasted letter from internet, and they were adamant I was guilty. I apealed to poplar on the grounds that I did'nt believe BP Stanstead did'nt have planning permision to the change of use from a garage to a car park and requested proof from MET PARKING SERVICES of this, also stating that the photo's of me arriving and departing were dodgy to say the least....Today I got this email from poplar, somebody on here said I was thinking to hard by saying when is a garage a car park...well I 'm glad I put it in the apeal...lolhank you for submitting your parking charge Appeal to POPLA.

An Appeal has been opened with the reference 3860868139.

MET Parking Services have told us they do not wish to contest the Appeal. This means that your Appeal is successful and you do not need to pay the parking charge.

Yours sincerely

POPLA Team

ET6116/001......Woop woop

• Thanks
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 1st May 18, 2:46 PM
    • 57,309 Posts
    • 70,913 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Great to see, MET gave up again!

somebody on here said I was thinking to hard by saying when is a garage a car park...well I 'm glad I put it in
    That will not have won at POPLA, nor was it the reason MET gave up, but well done!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,083Posts Today

5,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin