Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Yirara
    • By Yirara 11th Mar 18, 11:11 AM
    • 31Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Yirara
    Sky broadband price hike: caveats?
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:11 AM
    Sky broadband price hike: caveats? 11th Mar 18 at 11:11 AM
    Sky have increased the broadband price. This is not what I signed up for.

However, I see a few problems here:

Line rental? That's not broadband. Will I be able to cancel the whole package?

I received a cashback via Quidco. What about that?

I also received a signup bonus from Sky in the form of a prepaid credit card.

What about all those things? I'm seriously miffed that they can increase prices even though I signed a contract for a total package with a 1 year minimum term.
Page 1
    • phillw
    • By phillw 11th Mar 18, 11:20 AM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    phillw
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:20 AM
    Line rental? That's not broadband. Will I be able to cancel the whole package?
    Originally posted by Yirara
    Yes, any changes to line rental, call charges or broad band should let you leave without penalty. I don't believe you can cancel your sky tv because of it though.

I received a cashback via Quidco. What about that?
    If you've already received it then you should have no problems, if you haven't then I don't know as you aren't guaranteed the cash back anyway & they may not pay out if you are no longer a customer. You have 30 days from when you receive the email or letter from sky, if the cash back is not payable yet then check with quidco when it will be. You then need to consider whether to move now, move after quidco is saying it will pay out or stay. You should base your decision on the cost, the cashback and when you think the company you switch to will increase their prices.

I also received a signup bonus from Sky in the form of a prepaid credit card.
    They can't cancel that as that would be a penalty.

I'm seriously miffed that they can increase prices even though I signed a contract for a total package with a 1 year minimum term.
    They all do it. If you complain about it then they might stop doing it & then you'll have a lot of MSE forum users angry at you.
    Last edited by phillw; 11-03-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 11th Mar 18, 11:20 AM
    • 10,437 Posts
    • 4,391 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    <<I'm seriously miffed that they can increase prices even though I signed a contract for a total package with a 1 year minimum term.>>

But that's what you signed up to with this contract . T&C state they may raise the prices at any time in contract etc etc .

Yes you can cancel the lot but as multiple posts on here suggest the threat of leaving should get you a better deal .
    • phillw
    • By phillw 11th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    phillw
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    the threat of leaving should get you a better deal .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Unless sky are going to give you line rental and broadband for free then switching somewhere else will probably be your best deal.
    • Yirara
    • By Yirara 11th Mar 18, 1:13 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Yirara
    • 11th Mar 18, 1:13 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 1:13 PM
    Thanks a lot for your answers. I only have line rental and broadband from Sky. Don't even have a tv or watch tv (or netflix or anything else).

With regards to line rental: I read some comments on reddit and here that sky still continued to charge for line rental even after cancelling the contract due to a price hike as the price increase was only for broadband.

Ok, the prepaid card and cashback are a fact. That's good at least. I'm a bit uncertain about switching. It would be cheaper in the end, but the only options would be talktalk and plusnet, both of which don't seem to have the best reputation *sigh* Was with Origin before and never had a useful connection. With sky it's at least working without problems. Thus switching again is a risk.
    • Yirara
    • By Yirara 11th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Yirara
    • 11th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    Oh, and...

They all do it. If you complain about it then they might stop doing it & then you'll have a lot of MSE forum users angry at you.
    Originally posted by phillw
    That probably is very true I've lived in quite a few countries though, and nowhere have I experienced that price hikes are allowed during the minimum term. Thus it feels a bit odd to me.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 13th Mar 18, 10:03 PM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    phillw
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:03 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:03 PM
    That probably is very true I've lived in quite a few countries though, and nowhere have I experienced that price hikes are allowed during the minimum term. Thus it feels a bit odd to me.
    It feels odd to me too. I asked BT customer service if they had an answer why they would increase their cost and let me leave after receiving more cash back than I had paid them. They told me I was the first person they spoke to who had decided not to stay, everyone else took up one of the retention offers.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 14th Mar 18, 10:23 AM
    • 3,901 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    boatman
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:23 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:23 AM
    They told me I was the first person they spoke to who had decided not to stay, everyone else took up one of the retention offers.
    Originally posted by phillw
    What a load of old rubbish BT talk!! I'm pretty certain I left BT because of it, it wasn't my imagination...

This just shows that they are so keen to get you on the phone and hassle you to stay, because they know people will give in and say yes. All the more reason not to call, just email and say you are leaving for a better deal if you can find one.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 14th Mar 18, 10:50 AM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 944 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:50 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:50 AM
    What a load of old rubbish BT talk!! I'm pretty certain I left BT because of it, it wasn't my imagination...

This just shows that they are so keen to get you on the phone and hassle you to stay, because they know people will give in and say yes. All the more reason not to call, just email and say you are leaving for a better deal if you can find one.
    Originally posted by boatman
    Perhaps the agent had been away on maternity leave and @phillw was the first customer they'd spoken to.

I can't see a problem with phoning them up to tell them you're leaving due to the price rise. You may end up with a better offer than what you're already on. I can never understand people who say they've cancelled their service and have ignored any phone calls, you have no idea what you've potentially missed out on.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 14th Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    • 3,901 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    boatman
    I can't see a problem with phoning them up to tell them you're leaving due to the price rise. You may end up with a better offer than what you're already on. I can never understand people who say they've cancelled their service and have ignored any phone calls, you have no idea what you've potentially missed out on.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Its very dependent on who you speak to, and your confidence/persistence. It would be ok if you just spoke to standard customer service who are not there to sell to you, but they normally put you through to sales people.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 14th Mar 18, 12:17 PM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 582 Thanks
    iniltous
    Seems a little pointless asking a customer service rep, why the company they work for ( at a very junior level) put up prices that gives a customer the opportunity to leave a minimum term contract penalty free, ( costing the company more money than the 'extra' money they would have gained if the price rise went unchallenged ) after all the CSR doesn't chose the company policy, they just apply it.

If an individual customer service rep said they had never had a customer who called to quit, actually leave , because of the rentention deal they could offer, obviously doesn't mean that no one has left using this get out clause, after all BT probably have thousands of customer service reps not just that particular ( boastful ) one.
    Last edited by iniltous; 14-03-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,936Posts Today

8,173Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin