Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • James Clarke
    • By James Clarke 11th Mar 18, 9:45 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    James Clarke
    Aa assistance?
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:45 AM
    Aa assistance? 11th Mar 18 at 9:45 AM
    On hold for 25 mins to a emergency breakdown service and this is acceptable? Would of been longer but highways England stopped and made call on there number which is direct dial.
    I can understand 3 hours if somewhere safe. Not the hard shoulder of a motorway.
    Last edited by James Clarke; 11-03-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 11th Mar 18, 9:55 AM
    • 2,000 Posts
    • 2,637 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:55 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:55 AM
    Spent 3 hours on the side of the m27 motorway last night with 2 young children! Called at 1922 on hold for 25 mins and eventually given an eta of 2130. When no one showed called again and given a new eta of 2215. My kids were cold/scared and to be honest so was I. I was shocked they could leave me or anyone else for that matter for that period of time. I could understand if adverse weather like weekend but not on a clear night. I pay for relay service and when a recovery truck turned up (not aa as they sub-contracted it) they were going to take me to place of safety and wait for an aa patrol man to show up! The recovery driver took us to my local garage as could believe we were there for that long and I was not prepared to.wait any longer.

Had to rant as furious over the as customer service
    Originally posted by James Clarke
    I see. So you received the service you paid for, albeit with a delay, and no one came to any harm.

Cool story bro.
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 11th Mar 18, 10:29 AM
    • 11,100 Posts
    • 7,920 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:29 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:29 AM
    On hold for 25 mins to a emergency breakdown service and this is acceptable? Would of been longer but highways England stopped and made call on there number which is direct dial.
    I can understand 3 hours if somewhere safe. Not the hard shoulder of a motorway.
    It's only unsafe if you stay in or around the vehicle, something you're advised not to do.
    • mchale
    • By mchale 11th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    • 1,718 Posts
    • 954 Thanks
    mchale
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    Not the hard shoulder of a motorway.

You do realise the correct procedure if you breakdown on the motorway, is to use the sos box's to call for help.
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Mar 18, 12:39 AM
    • 44,452 Posts
    • 52,786 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:39 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:39 AM
    Sounds like you were using your mobile. How could they know you were on the hard shoulder?

Next time use the motorway emergency phone for an instant response.

No breakdown service guarantees (or can guarantee) a response time, though some have better records than others.

And sometimes just bad luck may exacerbate matters. If all their patrols happen to be busy, or to have been called previously to areas some way away, then you just have to wait.

Sometimes stuff happens in life and things don't go exactly as you dream. Think of it as a learning experience for the kids. If they never experience any negative things in childhood they'll be ill-prepared come adulthood, and no harm came to them, or you.
    Last edited by G_M; 12-03-2018 at 11:44 AM.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Mar 18, 8:17 AM
    • 17,602 Posts
    • 15,968 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:17 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:17 AM
    Remember the Highway Code?
    Rule 275
    If your vehicle develops a problem, leave the motorway at the next exit or pull into a service area. If you cannot do so, you should:
    * try to stop near an emergency telephone (situated at approximately one-mile intervals along the hard shoulder)
    * walk to an emergency telephone on your side of the carriageway (follow the arrows on the posts at the back of the hard shoulder) !!!8211; the telephone is free of charge and connects directly to an operator. Use these in preference to a mobile phone. Always face the traffic when you speak on the phone.
    by HC
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/breakdowns-and-incidents-274-to-287

The emergency phones go straight through to Highways England (or their equivalents in Wales/Scotland/NI) control rooms.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 12th Mar 18, 9:17 AM
    • 2,000 Posts
    • 2,637 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:17 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:17 AM
    But you're not giving the OP the answer he really wanted!!
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Mar 18, 9:18 AM
    • 17,602 Posts
    • 15,968 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:18 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:18 AM
    But you're not giving the OP the answer cuddle he really wanted!!
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    Fixed that.
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 12th Mar 18, 9:27 AM
    • 4,844 Posts
    • 19,587 Thanks
    Merlin139
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:27 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:27 AM
    Why did the OP edit the post to take out all the detail?

I think they looking for compensation on this one!

I always thought the M27 was in a fairly safe area! Not like its the M8 going through Glasgow!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

162Posts Today

1,702Users online

Martin's Twitter