Expedia not paying for flight they cancelled

On Friday 2nd March I went onto the epeida.co.uk to book a break to New York, I went through the process of finding the Hotel,Flight and put in all my credit card details then pressed Buy. Within a few seconds I got a message on screen to say there had been an error on the site and they had failed to process my booking and to try again which I did and this time when I clicked Buy i got a confirmation screen and number so I printed this off and then went in to my emails to print the email confirmation and noticed that the I had two bookings....It took me two days to get hold of somebody at expedia to speak to and explained what had happened and I would need one of the bookings to be cancelled.and he (IAN) said he would sort it out, Several minutes later he came back and said he had cancelled the flight and one hotel booking so again I asked that he had only cancelled one of each to which he said Yes, I asked for a confirmation email and he said I would get one form the hotel and flight and then I could check the other booking through my itinerary. Checked my emails and I did indeed have one email from the hotel and one email from thomas cook confirming cancellation so then checked my itinerary and noticed that the flight that they had been booked on eticket through condor had been cancelled and the flight booked through thomas cook (already had the email to say this was being refunded) was confirmed - checked with thomas cook and both flights had been cancelled by expedia so I had to phone and email expedia constantly to talk to someone and was told it would be sorted. Later that day I got an email for the refund but it was only for the taxes on the condor flight so again it took me ages to speak to someone in expedia and after about 40 minutes on the phone wight them firstly saying the flight had not been canceled only then to say yes they could see it they have said I will only get the taxes back because I cancelled the flight (Lies). I have now opened a dispute with my credit card company (still waiting for them to get back to me) and posted on the citizens advice page I have had one Full refund from the hotel and one from thomas cook and the flight taxes refund from condor but need help to recover over £670 that Expedia/Condor are keeping through a mistake caused by expedia.

Thanks ,

Chris.

Comments

• cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you add paragraph breaks then your post will be easier to read and you will get more replies.

The best avenue for you would probably be to ask Expedia to pull the call recording with Ian and see if it helps.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Expedia aren't an airline nor tour operator, they can't cancel flights.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    OP what EXACTLY did the error message state?

IMO it is highly unlikely it would have stated an error AND asking you to re try.

If it was me I would have checked the pending transaction on the card I was paying with and if this showed anything taken I would have contacted Expedia first before trying again.

Their live chat also works well IMO and you certainly would not have had to wait 2 days for a response.
  • Thanks cubegame.

Asked expedia for a copy of the phone conversation on the Sunday as you suggested and the following day I had an email to say they had passed the dispute to their escalation team.
    Not really expecting anything to happen, the following day I received a phone call from them to say they had checked their records and could see that they had cancelled the flight and that they would issue a Full refund which has now been applied to my credit card.

Once again many thanks for the advice. :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport