Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 11th Mar 18, 9:22 AM
    • 2,854Posts
    • 2,995Thanks
    LadyDee
    Location vent
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:22 AM
    Location vent 11th Mar 18 at 9:22 AM
    I am so fed up emailing sellers who don't put the area where they are in London for collection only items, I've given up.

If you are a seller of collection only items PLEASE put in the description whereabouts you are, you could be losing sales.

I can travel by bus into London but depending on which part of London you are in means a straight forward bus trip or a nightmare journey of multiple changes - in terms of time under 2 hours or over 5! Distance as given by ebay in the search options has little meaning.

I'm sure this applies to other major cities too.
Page 1
    • 19lottie82
    • By 19lottie82 11th Mar 18, 9:51 AM
    • 5,775 Posts
    • 8,691 Thanks
    19lottie82
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:51 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:51 AM
    Is it really such a hassle to send a message?
    How many collection items are you planning on buying???
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Mar 18, 10:01 AM
    • 60,337 Posts
    • 42,994 Thanks
    soolin
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:01 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:01 AM
    Originally posted by 19lottie82
    A seller cannot risk responding though, any information about location *could* be seen as the beginning of an off ebay sale, and with the new rules so punitive no seller would risk their account.

Likewsie, sellers need to be careful withpinpointing addresses in the listing, for the same reason. Although it should be OK (but please don't take my word on it) to give the area, like 'Croydon' or ''Staines'.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 11th Mar 18, 10:05 AM
    • 2,854 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:05 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:05 AM
    A seller cannot risk responding though, any information about location *could* be seen as the beginning of an off ebay sale, and with the new rules so punitive no seller would risk their account.

Likewsie, sellers need to be careful withpinpointing addresses in the listing, for the same reason. Although it should be OK (but please don't take my word on it) to give the area, like 'Croydon' or ''Staines'.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Exactly - world of difference between access to areas of London.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 11th Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    • 2,854 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    Originally posted by 19lottie82
    Yes it is a hassle, especially when some sellers don't bother responding and I have to keep checking to see whether they have or not, and while I'm waiting for a response an auction for a similar item has been ended. It takes a second for a seller to add "Collect from ......... area".

It's irrelevant how many items I'm planning on buying.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Mar 18, 10:45 AM
    • 12,153 Posts
    • 8,226 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:45 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:45 AM
    Yes it is a hassle, especially when some sellers don't bother responding and I have to keep checking to see whether they have or not, and while I'm waiting for a response an auction for a similar item has been ended. It takes a second for a seller to add "Collect from ......... area".

It's irrelevant how many items I'm planning on buying.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    See post 3.

A seller can be banned for letting you know the specifics of where to collect. Yes, it's mad but it is now policy and sellers are being banned.

The official stance is that a buyer should purchase and pay and then make enquiries. If the buyer no longer wishes to continue they should ask for a cancellation.

If you get any responses from sellers about where their items are, they won't last long. Likewise they aren't allow to put the details in the listing text to say where they are.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Mar 18, 10:53 AM
    • 60,337 Posts
    • 42,994 Thanks
    soolin
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:53 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:53 AM
    Ebay really isn't safe for collection only items any more.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 11th Mar 18, 11:33 AM
    • 2,854 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:33 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:33 AM
    See post 3.

A seller can be banned for letting you know the specifics of where to collect. Yes, it's mad but it is now policy and sellers are being banned.

The official stance is that a buyer should purchase and pay and then make enquiries. If the buyer no longer wishes to continue they should ask for a cancellation.

If you get any responses from sellers about where their items are, they won't last long. Likewise they aren't allow to put the details in the listing text to say where they are.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    I don't want (or expect) specifics - just the area, i.e. South London, North London - the former I could travel to easily, the latter no way.

It's nonsense to suggest that a buyer should bid and win auctions or do a BIN, then cancel if they find the journey too onerous. Where on ebay does it officially state this?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    • 12,153 Posts
    • 8,226 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 11th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    I don't want (or expect) specifics - just the area, i.e. South London, North London - the former I could travel to easily, the latter no way.

It's nonsense to suggest that a buyer should bid and win auctions or do a BIN, then cancel if they find the journey too onerous. Where on ebay does it officially state this?
    The policy prohibits the exchanging of ANY contact details and that includes specifics on the item location. If it isn't listed on the location box it isn't allowed.

The only option you have in finding out the location is to bid/buy and cancel if it is not conveniently located.

There isn't another way - you cannot look at a private seller's address. If it's a business seller, all you can view is their registered business address and if (like many including me) that isn't the location of stock (by some distance for me) then it's not helpful.

Whilst the policy seems to be coming down harder on sellers, I am certain there are triggers for a buyer who continues to ask. Have a search on the posts that have been on here since the policy came info force late last year. Business sellers have been banned for replying to simple questions.

If you want to sell collection items, eBay is NOT the venue.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 11th Mar 18, 1:47 PM
    • 2,854 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    LadyDee
    The policy prohibits the exchanging of ANY contact details and that includes specifics on the item location. If it isn't listed on the location box it isn't allowed.

The only option you have in finding out the location is to bid/buy and cancel if it is not conveniently located.

There isn't another way - you cannot look at a private seller's address. If it's a business seller, all you can view is their registered business address and if (like many including me) that isn't the location of stock (by some distance for me) then it's not helpful.

Whilst the policy seems to be coming down harder on sellers, I am certain there are triggers for a buyer who continues to ask. Have a search on the posts that have been on here since the policy came info force late last year. Business sellers have been banned for replying to simple questions.

If you want to sell collection items, eBay is NOT the venue.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Hmmm.... really? Taken direct from ebays site, advice to sellers:

"Specify the location of the item
    You should accurately describe the location of your item using the postcode where it's located. This can make your listing more attractive to buyers in your area, because they can save on postage and get their item more quickly."
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Mar 18, 3:15 PM
    • 12,153 Posts
    • 8,226 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Hmmm.... really? Taken direct from ebays site, advice to sellers:

"Specify the location of the item
    You should accurately describe the location of your item using the postcode where it's located. This can make your listing more attractive to buyers in your area, because they can save on postage and get their item more quickly."
    Yes really.

Where is the policy link to your info?

Your quote isn't policy. It's on the help pages. Not quite the same thing.

You seem to think I am justifying the policy, I am certainly not. It is utter madness. What I am doing is explaining why you are not having the replies to your messages, or finding listings are more vague than normal.

The location of a listing can be specified in the location box on the listing, but that is now more restricted than it was. You cannot exchange any info about the location in messages or within the listing text.

If you don't like it, shop elsewhere. I won't continue to try to explain it to you as you don't seem able to understand.

Some threads which may help you understand it.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5757203&highlight=banned+restrict ed

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5709336&highlight=banned+restrict ed

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5790568&highlight=off+ebay+sale
    Last edited by theonlywayisup; 11-03-2018 at 3:26 PM.
    • Pun
    • By Pun 11th Mar 18, 3:32 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 566 Thanks
    Pun
    I show my home town on my listing (private seller) and have never had any issues/warnings in the 8 years I've been selling. That said, I never do collection only items - I wonder if that makes a difference to how ebay views things?
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 11th Mar 18, 3:35 PM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 2,130 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    I am bidding on something currently which says collection in Carlisle only.
    • telemarks
    • By telemarks 11th Mar 18, 3:39 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    telemarks
    Try limiting your searches on the site in the first place to "within 5 miles".

I "think" this uses the sellers postcode, and hence should help limit 20 mile treks across London.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    • 60,337 Posts
    • 42,994 Thanks
    soolin
    The new policy has only been in place for about a year, with rigorous enforcement really only in the past 8-10 months. Any suggestion, however innocent that leaves ebay to believe that a deal is being arranged off ebay will result in a seller warning. Also, whilst not as common, buyers are definitely being restricted as well for daring to ask about location or price.

This is a common thread on other forums, MSE is no longer particularly active ebay wise, but I am aware of a number of other good long term sellers who are restricted or even banned, plus a fair few buyers on restriction as well even where there was no intent to deal off ebay.

Unfortunately like many other sellers I have to protect my account, so would not respond to any request for an address or anything at all that ebay bots might construe as trying to avoid fees, in fact some big sellers have gone further and actually blocked all questions entirely.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    • 26,972 Posts
    • 10,867 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Try limiting your searches on the site in the first place to "within 5 miles".

I "think" this uses the sellers postcode, and hence should help limit 20 mile treks across London.
    Originally posted by telemarks
    Except Ebay thinks Kidderminster is 5 miles from me instead of being over 40 miles in reality.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 11th Mar 18, 11:40 PM
    • 5,119 Posts
    • 20,651 Thanks
    FatVonD
    I feel your pain, OP, I live on the South West London/Surrey borders and it infuriates me too. I do as another poster suggested and limit my searches by 5 miles as the crow flies but if it happens to be the other side of the river and you are relying on trains it could still mean a trip into central London then back out again.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,915Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin