Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • creative-2008
    • By creative-2008 11th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 7Thanks
    creative-2008
    Price Rise - Cancelling Sky
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    Price Rise - Cancelling Sky 11th Mar 18 at 8:27 AM
    I got helpful advice here for cancelling Sky broadband and moving to TalkTalk fibre, which I believed I could do penalty free because of their recent price rise.

After contacting Sky, I got a letter through the post stating that I would not be charged for cancelling my broadband. And I thought that was the end of it.

The next day, a second letter arrived stating that I will be charged 38 for cancelling my Talk package whilst still under the minimum term.

So my understanding is that the broadband price is rising, but because the talk line rental isn't I need to leave that service. Is that everyone else's understanding of the situation?

If so, is this common? It feels to me to be out of the spirit of Ofccom's rules/guidance. I appreciate that the other side of it is that I had a contract with Sky though, so I'm wholly open to people disagreeing with me.

I guess the other important question is, is there I can do anything to avoid this fee? Is it a simple choice between choosing to pay it and leave Sky, or stay with Sky until the end of the minimum term and leave then?

There's three photos of the letters.
    Last edited by creative-2008; 11-03-2018 at 8:30 AM. Reason: Trying to attach photos of letters
Page 1
    • phillw
    • By phillw 11th Mar 18, 12:29 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    phillw
    • 11th Mar 18, 12:29 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 12:29 PM
    The next day, a second letter arrived stating that I will be charged 38 for cancelling my Talk package whilst still under the minimum term.
    Originally posted by creative-2008
    This is not uncommon, I had the same problem with BT. When I complained I was told the email was sent in error as it had not been updated following ofcoms clarification of the rules (even though this was a long time ago). I did make a complaint, but haven't pushed them on it. I probably should.

I recommend you do the same thing and ask them why they are sending you letters telling you about charges for leaving in the minimum term when you were told you could leave without penalty. It might help if you read up on ofcoms rules before hand, because then you will probably no more than the person who you are talking to & it might help if you can quote them.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2014/protection-for-consumers-against-unexpected-mid-contract-price-rises

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0027/29682/guidance.pdf

It would be very difficult of them to argue that this wasn't a bundle as covered by ofcoms rules as leaving line rental and broadband will by it's very nature also require cancelling the talk package.

It might be that the letter was genuinely sent in error, or they might just be sending it to test the waters to see if you will complain if they did charge you.
    Last edited by phillw; 11-03-2018 at 12:37 PM.
    • creative-2008
    • By creative-2008 11th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    creative-2008
    • 11th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    Hugely appreciate the reply.

I'd read the Ofcom rules in the two links you provided, and then started the call by asking if it was a mistake. She said that it was, and that I definitely wouldn't be charged.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 13th Mar 18, 9:56 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    phillw
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:56 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:56 PM
    Hugely appreciate the reply.

I'd read the Ofcom rules in the two links you provided, and then started the call by asking if it was a mistake. She said that it was, and that I definitely wouldn't be charged.
    Originally posted by creative-2008
    Keep an eye out in case the "mistake" extends to the billing department. "Whoops we've got your money now, hope you don't notice..."
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 14th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    • 8,516 Posts
    • 6,290 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    All the companies seem to make this 'mistake'
    • boatman
    • By boatman 14th Mar 18, 10:14 AM
    • 3,945 Posts
    • 2,808 Thanks
    boatman
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:14 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:14 AM
    Keep an eye out in case the "mistake" extends to the billing department. "Whoops we've got your money now, hope you don't notice..."
    Originally posted by phillw
    How true!!

Yes, these emails and letters sent in 'error' seem to be a plan rather than an accident, a way of deterring people from leaving, OFCOM should be fining them for it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

847Posts Today

6,461Users online

Martin's Twitter