Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beaneywatts
    • By Beaneywatts 11th Mar 18, 8:01 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Beaneywatts
    Universal credit causing mortgage confusion
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:01 AM
    Universal credit causing mortgage confusion 11th Mar 18 at 8:01 AM
    Hello everyone,

I am currently looking to buy my first house and the mortgage adviser at the bank is looking into the affordability and asking how much working and child tax credits I receive - however, universal credit doesnít list these individually anymore.

The adviser wants to know which elements of UC are the replacements for working and child tax credits, but the internet doesnít seem to actually define this and the person at UC who I asked was no help at all.

It would make sense to me that the child element replaced child tax credits, the housing element replaced housing benefit, the carers element replaced carers allowance etc (Iím not in receipt of all of the above by the way!), but the standard element is a mystery to me as to what benefit this really replaces.

I thought maybe someone on here may have been through similar and Iíd be interested to know how their mortgage adviser eventually considered the elements, whether they included them or not etc.

Any experience or knowledge will be gratefully received,

Thank you!
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 11th Mar 18, 10:21 AM
    • 11,484 Posts
    • 13,371 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:21 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:21 AM
    Hello everyone,

I am currently looking to buy my first house and the mortgage adviser at the bank is looking into the affordability and asking how much working and child tax credits I receive - however, universal credit doesnít list these individually anymore.

The adviser wants to know which elements of UC are the replacements for working and child tax credits, but the internet doesnít seem to actually define this and the person at UC who I asked was no help at all.

It would make sense to me that the child element replaced child tax credits, the housing element replaced housing benefit, the carers element replaced carers allowance etc (Iím not in receipt of all of the above by the way!), but the standard element is a mystery to me as to what benefit this really replaces.

I thought maybe someone on here may have been through similar and Iíd be interested to know how their mortgage adviser eventually considered the elements, whether they included them or not etc.

Any experience or knowledge will be gratefully received,

Thank you!
    Originally posted by Beaneywatts
    So what are your circumstances? What were you claiming before you moved to universal credit?

If you were only receiving tax credits then you are right the child element, the child disability element and child costs element replace child tax credits. Any extra money you receive replaces working tax credits.
    • Beaneywatts
    • By Beaneywatts 11th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Beaneywatts
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    Thank you for your response. Before going over to UC we were receiving some working tax credits, child tax credits and a small amount of housing benefit.

I work full time and husband is stay at home parent looking after our 1yr old.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

424Posts Today

5,747Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin