Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Mar 18, 7:28 AM
    • 9,109Posts
    • 47,273Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Cheery's country living adventure
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:28 AM
    Cheery's country living adventure 11th Mar 18 at 7:28 AM
    Hello lovely people

I'm Cheery, been around these parts a long time now and had several DFW diaries over the years, most recently here.

We are two - Mr Cheery and I. We've been together over 12 years now, and last week we moved from the middle of the city to the middle of nowhere. We were snowed in within 24 hours and unable to leave for a week Quite an introduction to country living

I now have a mortgage for the first time in my life Mr Cheery had one before, but as it was near the end when I met him, we never added me, and then it got to the end of its 25 year span a few years ago. Now we have a brand new one, and I would like to pay it off as soon as possible

It's going to take a while - we've borrowed 215,000 over 25 years A reasonable rate though (1.8%), fixed until Sept 2019. Our monthly payment is 890, and I'd like to overpay by 10 at least - with the aim of on average paying off an extra 110 a month to take it up to a round 1000.

If we don't pay it off early, it'll run til I'm 62, and Mr Cheery is 80 A good incentive to get on with it

Sadly our building society doesn't have online banking for mortgages (bloody ridiculous) and only sends annual statements, so it looks like I'll be ringing them up every five minutes for a new balance

I would love it if you dropped in occasionally for a nice cup of tea, especially if you brought along some cake

More details in a minute
Page 61
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 10th Jan 20, 3:06 PM
    • 2,546 Posts
    • 16,405 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Oh Cheery that's just pants - sending a big hung to Past/Present/Future You

(Met our deadline with 2 minutes to spare - then had words a discussion about time management!)
    3 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us
    & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Jan 20, 5:22 PM
    • 9,109 Posts
    • 47,273 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ha, hope your discussion sank in for next time RT!

Nice day here. Tried to do a bit of dry stone wall dismantling but it was SO windy - I was well wrapped up but dust and soil kept blowing in my eyes and I got sick of taking my gloves off to sort it out, so declared an indoor cosy day instead

We had a quick nip to the charity shops, then were contemplating a new restaurant (we're still mourning the loss of our old favourite which closed in October supposedly for refurbishment for a week but never opened again). Instead we decided on "restaurant at home" so had a nice wander round @ldi buying treats Mr Cheery is having a kind of brocolli thai green curry with tuna steaks, and I'm having spinach and ricotta pasta with tomato and basil sauce and walnuts

Did a bit of normal shopping while we were in there, and bits of food for work, but I reckon dinner will cost less than a tenner for both of us, including wine
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 13th Jan 20, 5:20 PM
    • 9,109 Posts
    • 47,273 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Evening MSE chums

Well, our nice Restaurant at Home experience was augmented by a couple of friends who were unexpectedly driving through our nearest town on the way home from visiting family and asked if they could pop in I LOVE impromptu visitors Well, mostly

As it happens, I've been following Flylady pretty consistently all year so far, so the bits of the house that aren't a building site look pretty reasonable, and because we were having Restaurant at Home, we had the table all set nicely and nice music on, and we always have candles lit in the evening, and (sshhhhh) the Christmas tree is still up so everything felt lovely and cosy and I felt like a Proper Homemaker or something

(Of course these particular friends have seen us in every state so they didn't for a second believe that we always spend evenings like that but the illusion was nice for a while )

Anyway, Monday night is finances night! I have an appointment with Mr Cheery and a film on the sofa at 7pm and I want a shower before then, and to sort out clothes for tomorrow etc (got to keep up with those before bed routines!) so best get cracking.

First up - YNAB Only did it a week ago so shouldn't take too long...

Then I want to investigate savings accounts, and ring the mortgage people for a budget (actually I should check what time they shut first in case it's 6pm)

Ready, steady, GO!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 13th Jan 20, 6:24 PM
    • 9,109 Posts
    • 47,273 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Right - YNAB done and dusted Keeping up with the app and tracking is making it a LOT easier Only had to put 5.63 of cash down as budget fiddling this week Not too worried - especially as I suspect some of it is in the pocket of my coat

Started looking at savings accounts... Yawn.

Seems the best option might be to open a new Post Office saving account at 1.3% interest, then drop feed 500 a month into a Coventry Building Society regular saver (2.5%,) until the savings run out. This is rather less complex than what I did last year, when I had two new current accounts and two new regular savers

Trying to work out if there's a reason Mr Cheery and I can't both have separate regular saver accounts with Coventry??

Anyway, not going to open them all tonight - and I'm trying to get over my annoyance with the Post Office that I have to enter ALL my details again to open a completely new account, then close the old one and transfer the dosh. Why can't they just open a new one with my existing details?! If there was somewhere else with a similar interest rate I'd go there instead out of principle
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 13th Jan 20, 6:42 PM
    • 9,109 Posts
    • 47,273 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Right - new Post Office account opened - and it was actually pretty easy, they recognised me as soon as I clicked 'submit' and let me close the old account and transfer the dosh to the new one straight away - and have paid the annual interest of 13.83 too I stupidly clicked the monthly interest button on the new one, so have got 1.29% rather than 1.3% which might lose me about 20p over the year - I can live with that

Will leave the Coventry one til the two regular savers come to an end which isn't til 8th Feb. Feels good to have sorted it though!

On a roll now, and Mr Cheery has delayed the start of our sofa appointment by 30 mins so I'm going to ring up for a mortgage balance

And the question is - do I add another 10 onto the monthly payments so it feels like I'm paying *something* extra, or is 919.99 enough already
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 13th Jan 20, 7:13 PM
    • 9,109 Posts
    • 47,273 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ok, balance is now at 198,300 (well, to the nearest 100 at least which is the closest our building society can manage ) Slightly lower than my spreadsheet says anyway

Coming down nicely - it was 215,000 when we moved So very nice to see it with a 1 at the front - even if it will have a 1 at the front for another 10 years

Also upped the monthly payment to 930 as of next month - which should see us paying it off 3 months early and saving a grand total of 1847

I should get a pay rise in August (and I'm crossing my fingers for a promotion in the autumn!) so will up it slightly again after that
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Jan 20, 10:52 AM
    • 32,904 Posts
    • 194,638 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Coming down nicely - it was 215,000 when we moved So very nice to see it with a 1 at the front - even if it will have a 1 at the front for another 10 years

Also upped the monthly payment to 930 as of next month - which should see us paying it off 3 months early and saving a grand total of 1847
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    These are both fantastic changes well done you.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 14th Jan 20, 12:58 PM
    • 9,896 Posts
    • 50,308 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I absolutely LOVED making the ongoing small increases to the monthly payment Cheery - it really felt that we were achieving something each month rather than just when a bigger lump sum payment was possible! And YES to the various milestones along the way too - changing the leading figure, knocking another 10k increment off, 10% chunks off the original balance...! It all really helped to keep the motivation going as it meant we were constantly celebrating small wins.
    Last edited by EssexHebridean; 14-01-2020 at 1:00 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 14th Jan 20, 11:56 PM
    • 9,109 Posts
    • 47,273 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks folks

Good point about different milestones - won't be too long before we've paid off 10% that will be [Cheery counts on fingers] 21,500 and if we're currently at 198,300 that means [Cheery counts on toes] we've already paid off

[CHEERY ADMITS DEFEAT AND RESORTS TO CALCULATOR WHILE INSISTING IF SHE HAD PEN AND PAPER SHE'D MANAGE]

4,800 to go til we've paid off 10% (we'll be down to 193,500 - I think ]

So if we stick to 930 a month, we'll be down to 193,650 after June's payment...

... which makes me think we can cobble together an extra 150 by June so we can get to 10% off

Next milestone though is to get down to 195,000 - we'll have paid off 20,000 in total then, and that should happen in, er... May

Of course I'm ignoring the fact that the real mortgage amount was something entirely ludicrous like 214,983.40

This is entirely my fault building society would only cover 10 acres of land, our house has slightly more so I had to calculate the value of the extra to split the title deed and buy that field separately (apologies if you were round back then and remember the whole sorry saga )

I just went on average prices for this type of land, divided it by the exact number of acres, and didn't round up. Nobody said anything until the final days when the mortgage had been issued as a round number and the solicitor had to demand a letter from building society saying they wouldn't quibble over the 40p difference

I count it as 215,000 which means I'm always a couple of quid ahead of myself
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 15th Jan 20, 6:39 AM
    • 2,693 Posts
    • 14,755 Thanks
    themadvix
    Great calculations (no chance of me doing that without a calculator) and love the random mortgage amount!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Jan 20, 2:32 PM
    • 32,904 Posts
    • 194,638 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Great calculations (no chance of me doing that without a calculator) and love the random mortgage amount!
    Originally posted by themadvix
    Seconded!
    Retired August 2016
    • edwink
    • By edwink 15th Jan 20, 6:19 PM
    • 2,288 Posts
    • 14,644 Thanks
    edwink
    Cheery you are such an inspiration, you really are.

I love reading your thread and keeping up to date with what is happening where you are.

Keep up the good work.

Edwink x
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    1 Duck Hoppy, 24 ex-battery hens, RIP Pingu
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 15th Jan 20, 6:46 PM
    • 9,109 Posts
    • 47,273 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thank you lovely people

Nice day today, been working at home and got rather a lot done Felt good! And I could have carried on later but I imagine I would have just got less and less productive... just about to jump in the shower and then do some hanging out with Mr Cheery.

Still carrying on nicely with routines Just put the clothes away off the clothes maiden and done a little bit of dusting and made a futile attempt to water a couple of plants (I am SO shockingly bad at watering )

Today's flylady mission is to throw away odd socks I confess I paired all mine last week anyway and had FOURTEEN odd ones HOW?!

Anyway there's no way I'm throwing out 14 perfectly good socks they're all bagged up in the back of the drawn though. Rather excitingly I found another odd one on the clothes maiden tonight so I'm hoping it will match one of the existing odd ones rather than turning into the 14th odd one itself

Pretty frugal day We did go to the cafe this morning but they're on winter opening hours and it's a bit long for me to wait so I'd already had breakfast, so we just shared a bit of flapjack. Not spent anything else

I did a meter reading (wrong time of month but I figure throwing an occasional reading at them is better than nowt). Need to order chicken food and bedding.

Payday is Saturday, and this will be the last full one before 2 months of strike deductions. There's talk of another potential strike in the coming months too

BT Openreach were down here earlier nosying at our telegraph poles - didn't get chance to get out and ask them why. Wonder what they were up to??
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 19th Jan 20, 7:29 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 2,435 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Hi cheery! I've just spent the past week reading your diary and it's fantastic! You're such an inspiration and I love the chicken antics! Good luck with the rest of your journey and I look forward to reading about it
    Jess x
    Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) 72,000
    Mortgage Balance as of 31/12/19 69,000
    2020 Overpayment Challenge: Jan 836.45
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 19th Jan 20, 9:02 PM
    • 9,109 Posts
    • 47,273 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Hi Jess

I can't believe you spent a week reading my drivel I don't half waffle on But it's very nice to see you hear, don't think I've met you before Will have a look out for your diary

Not much to report here, although I have had a LOVELY weekend. The sun has shone the whole time and we have had cafe trips, charity shop mooching, tried the local (well, 11 miles away) parkrun for the first time, done a bit of dry stone wall dismantling, shifted a load of cr*p from the garden, moved a load of compost to mulch the edible windbreak, and started shifting wood so I can rebuild the compost heap so it's closer to the veg garden rather than off to one side in the hay field

Also went and dropped a Christmas card off to a new neighbour They'd left us one, and I've been carrying theirs round for weeks, but while they're one of the closest houses to us, they're actually half a mile away down a really steep footpath in a direction we never drive Anyway, done it now

I'm sure I did some other things too but can't remember what they are now I've spent loads of time outside which has been lovely Been really tired and not quite with it today mind you nothing drastic, just wonder whether I'm getting a cold again, head's felt a bit bunged up.

Hey ho. Working at home tomorrow so at least I don't have to go anywhere And it's Monday Finances Day
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 20th Jan 20, 9:42 PM
    • 9,109 Posts
    • 47,273 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Evening MSE chums

Well, today is Monday Finances today - YNAB is done, the banks are checked, all is present and correct Except I had to put 30 cash into the 'budget fiddling' category I think I'm going to change the name of that to 'misc' As much as I try, there are always little bits and pieces of parking, or a pint of milk at the village shop or whatever that I forget to add, and calling it 'budget fiddling' makes me feel bad

Need to decide how much to transfer over to the new PO savings account - at the minute everything that's not in the other high interest current accounts is just in the main current account earning about 0.25% or something ridiculous. I confess I can't be bothered with that right this second - it means moving to the other side of the room to find the new account numbers A job for Admin Tuesday I think!

While I think of it, a mini list for Admin Tuesday
    * find final address and put letter in ready for posting
    * order chicken food and bedding
    * transfer dosh to PO savings account
    * open new Coventry savers for me and Mr Cheery ready for drip feeding the savings into over the year

That'll do I think.

Mr Cheery had plans in town tomorrow evening, so he was going to come in with me when I went to work and we were both going to stay til 10pm - however his plans have now been cancelled, meaning I can do my usual 7-3 (ish) day in the office and be home in the daylight So it seems I'll fit in Admin Tuesday after all!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 21st Jan 20, 9:48 PM
    • 9,109 Posts
    • 47,273 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Well, so much for Admin Tuesday

I did manage to order food and bedding for the beaky ones 37 but both should last at least a couple of months (if not 3) so not too bad.

Quick trip to the shop on the way home for fruit, booze etc.

I did take breakfast and lunch to work and fruit, but I did buy a couple of raw fruit etc bars on the way in. Need to get a box from the supermarket next time (although I do tend to eat them... )

Tired today. Had some disappointing work news yesterday, and this morning my dad's partner died I only met her a few times (I don't see him that often ) but she'd just finally been given the all clear from a long illness and then got suddenly struck with something else out of the blue, collapsed and then died a few days later without regaining consciousness.

So all in all I'm feeling rather drained tonight Had a long bath and am already in my nightie ready for an early night

Hopefully more chipper tomorrow.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 21st Jan 20, 10:32 PM
    • 32,904 Posts
    • 194,638 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Cheery, I'm so sorry to hear your news. Of course you're not chipper right now The work news on its own would be bad, it's obvious that you have to plough your own furrow, so to speak, but your dad's partner's death is bound to also stir things up for you, no matter how often you see your dad, or how little you actually know her I hope you can get some proper rest tonight.
    Retired August 2016
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 22nd Jan 20, 5:39 AM
    • 2,546 Posts
    • 16,405 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Sending supportive hugs your way Cheery xox

Hope you managed to rest well last night.
    3 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us
    & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 22nd Jan 20, 7:33 AM
    • 2,693 Posts
    • 14,755 Thanks
    themadvix
    Oh Cherry, two lots of bad news in one day will make you feel blue. Hope you managed a good night’s sleep. Take it gently today.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

1,230Users online

Martin's Twitter