Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Mar 18, 7:28 AM
    • 8,069Posts
    • 39,492Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Cheery's country living adventure
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:28 AM
    Cheery's country living adventure 11th Mar 18 at 7:28 AM
    Hello lovely people

I'm Cheery, been around these parts a long time now and had several DFW diaries over the years, most recently here.

We are two - Mr Cheery and I. We've been together over 12 years now, and last week we moved from the middle of the city to the middle of nowhere. We were snowed in within 24 hours and unable to leave for a week Quite an introduction to country living

I now have a mortgage for the first time in my life Mr Cheery had one before, but as it was near the end when I met him, we never added me, and then it got to the end of its 25 year span a few years ago. Now we have a brand new one, and I would like to pay it off as soon as possible

It's going to take a while - we've borrowed 215,000 over 25 years A reasonable rate though (1.8%), fixed until Sept 2019. Our monthly payment is 890, and I'd like to overpay by 10 at least - with the aim of on average paying off an extra 110 a month to take it up to a round 1000.

If we don't pay it off early, it'll run til I'm 62, and Mr Cheery is 80 A good incentive to get on with it

Sadly our building society doesn't have online banking for mortgages (bloody ridiculous) and only sends annual statements, so it looks like I'll be ringing them up every five minutes for a new balance

I would love it if you dropped in occasionally for a nice cup of tea, especially if you brought along some cake

More details in a minute
Page 5
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 4th Apr 18, 9:16 PM
    • 8,069 Posts
    • 39,492 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Evening MSE chums

Not much to report here. NO shops today I do love a day without shops, but my old life in town involved a LOT of just nipping in for bits on the way home from places, and Mr Cheery loves a shop and it's difficult to keep him out of them He's extremely thrifty, but that for him often involves just nipping in to see what bargains are available...

Anyway, he's been out most of the day, so I have been pottering at home and went for an 11 mile bike ride in which I got the most soggy and filthy I've been for a long time

Discovered I can get a residents' permit for the national park car parks 25 for the year, but then I can park in them for freeeeeee Must be a new initiative, because they do a non-residents one too for 40 which I might have had before if I'd known about it.

They're not everywhere, but I do use them when I cycle and run up and down the old railway trails - I would have spent 3.50 today so I'm sure it'll be worth it

Been out this evening to a little local event which cost 3 including tea and cake My type of event

Not sure what's happening tomorrow, a friend and the builder both said they might come either tomorrow or Friday and I've not heard from either of them about which day... However, I suspect neither of them will be here too early though, and I'm still off work, so might trot out for a little run again
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = 201.85
    • try harder
    • By try harder 5th Apr 18, 10:34 AM
    • 751 Posts
    • 2,847 Thanks
    try harder
    Sounds lovely and must be wonderful scenery

You will be super fit with all that exercise you do too
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 5th Apr 18, 12:17 PM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 13,582 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ...Discovered I can get a residents' permit for the national park car parks 25 for the year, but then I can park in them for freeeeeee Must be a new initiative, because they do a non-residents one too for 40 which I might have had before if I'd known about it...
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    oooooo - what a find! - must investigate, now that nicer temps are here, we will be increasing our hiking again!

ETA - turns out the bit nearest to us has free parking! - and discovered that we are just outside the area that considers us residents - imagine that!
    Last edited by rtandon27; 05-04-2018 at 12:37 PM.
    ONE YEAR & 5 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Apr 18, 3:44 PM
    • 8,069 Posts
    • 39,492 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Sounds lovely and must be wonderful scenery

You will be super fit with all that exercise you do too
    Originally posted by try harder
    I was fit once Sadly three years of decorating/house moving stress has taken its toll and I am rather less fit than I would like

Still, went out for another run this morning, and I might tog up and go for a walk for an hour or so this afternoon, so there's still hope

Nothing much to report here. Need to go and update YNAB though...

Mr Cheery picked up a load of wood he's collected over the years from where it was being stored the other day, so is going to crack on and make us some more book cases

I've found five pallets inside an outbuilding that were hiding under a load of hay - hadn't realised it was that deep But that's good - I'm going to get out and fix them together to make compost bins this afternoon, and then get started composting the hay and save some for mulch That'll save me buying stuff in

Also going to start composting our own food waste. I did this for years at the old house and it worked really well even in a tiny little garden But here I didn't have a bin set up, and it's been snowing so much I couldn't even figure out where to put one And we have a food and garden waste wheelie bin from the council. But I don't want to send all that goodness off to them So as soon as I get these pallets put together, I can start putting it all in there

Builder has been round today to cost up the work to replace the floors and knock a wall down Never had building work done before Reckons it'll only take a fortnight if all goes to plan, but we should allow another week in case it doesn't (in my head I'm allowing six weeks ) When it's done we'll have two more usable bedrooms and a giant kitchen that we can have a table in

Right - YNAB over a cuppa, and then back outside
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Apr 18, 4:06 PM
    • 8,069 Posts
    • 39,492 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Crikey, quite shocked when I saw the bank balance Until I remembered the mortgage had gone out since I last looked

Also got annoyed with the council for taking the council tax out twice - until I realised they didn't take last months (didn't set the direct debit up til after the 1st last month, so they've taken a spare payment to cover since we moved in til 1st April). Fine - but I'd not realised and hadn't budgeted for last months...

Hey ho. Just trying to decide where to pilfer the spare from Got 100.67 sitting in the mortgage overpayments pot from some insurance that was refunded so I could just use that... Need to pilfer another 69 from somewhere too though - possibly the electricity pot as we got 50 free for switching but we're going to get a bill from the old firm to cover the first month we were here at some point so possibly not...

VERY grateful that this is NOT a crisis - it's just a matter of deciding which savings pot to pilfer it from Not like my first days in MSE

Also realised that I have a pot of money that my nan left me last year (2k) which I'd earmarked for things that would make life more cheerful in the new house, but that I wasn't about to spend my own dosh on So far I've bought several of those things (including a greenhouse) but not transferred the money from that pot... So if I *did* do that, it would even things up rather.

Will have a ponder...
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 6th Apr 18, 8:03 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    Loving reading about your country adventures cheery daff!

Lovely to be able to move money around pots rather than being in crisis !

MF planning for the simple life
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Apr 18, 8:17 PM
    • 8,069 Posts
    • 39,492 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks Downshifterealla

Tis indeed lovely, and I am very thankful and don't take it at all for granted

Sadly my compost bin plans were thwarted - got outside to find the new greenhouse (plastic, from Wilkos) had succumbed to the wind and flipped completely on its head Seeds and pots scattered all the way up the driveway Greenhouse itself was still largely intact, with only one of the connectors broken, a miracle really Moved it all into a field and put the cover in the garage and will sort it out when my sister's here tomorrow

I did make a compost bin but then decided it might be best to put the greenhouse in the space I'd put it, so started dismantling it again. However, I then decided it might be best to put the greenhouse in the NEW place I'd started putting the compost bin... So I abandoned it all to come inside for something to eat and try to make a decision on paper, rather than lugging pallets and breezeblocks around a field several times
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 6th Apr 18, 8:24 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,852 Thanks
    ZTD
    So I abandoned it all to come inside for something to eat and try to make a decision on paper, rather than lugging pallets and breezeblocks around a field several times
    Weren't you just talking about fitness..?
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    • 8,069 Posts
    • 39,492 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Weren't you just talking about fitness..?
    Originally posted by ZTD
    I was But I'm quite unfit at the minute, and it wouldn't do to overdo it
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Apr 18, 9:38 AM
    • 28,968 Posts
    • 164,765 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wow! Loving the process of setting up a homestead! But sorry the greenhouse went sailing

So for things like where to site stuff, with the amount of land you have, it sounds like you don't need to worry about making sure the greenhouse is in the sun all the time. But how about wind direction and shelter?

And you have outbuildings. And hay. Deep piles of hay, with pallets underneath. I'm in awe, Cheery, I really am

Retired August 2016
    • edwink
    • By edwink 11th Apr 18, 3:10 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 12,370 Thanks
    edwink
    I did make a compost bin but then decided it might be best to put the greenhouse in the space I'd put it, so started dismantling it again. However, I then decided it might be best to put the greenhouse in the NEW place I'd started putting the compost bin... So I abandoned it all to come inside for something to eat and try to make a decision on paper, rather than lugging pallets and breezeblocks around a field several times
    Hello Cheery & Chums

I did have a good laugh when reading this Cheery, in fact I couldn't stop giggling about it. I could just imagine you moving it all again. I wasn't laughing about your greenhouse though because I know how that made me feel when my new plastic one took off up the garden all by itself. I no longer use that now for growing seedlings etc. I use it as a dry store for all our equipment since being given 2 more greenhouses.

When we moved here we inherited a greenhouse, a summerhouse and a shed. So rather that move it all about and have to move it again I put pen to paper and made a drawing of how we wanted our huge garden to look like. Many years down the line I still have that huge plan/drawing and have such pleasure unrolling it, pinning down the edges making it flat on the kitchen table and sitting there for a time with it. I even roll it up when I am finished and put the ribbon back around it in a bow. So do remember to keep yours as they are nice to look at again in later years.

Keep up the good work.

Edwink
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    7 ducks ~ 7 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Apr 18, 3:55 PM
    • 8,069 Posts
    • 39,492 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Aw, love the idea of your giant plan Edwink Mine was more of a tiny scribble, but it was in a notebook that I use for projects so I shall keep it anyway I like looking back at things too

I've got Mr Cheery on the case looking out for a proper glass greenhouse on Freegle

Tis indeed a balance between wind direction, sun and shelter KC, and also proximity to the house, not in a swamp etc there's a lot of space here, but while there's not thatuch shade, most of the land is a kind of east facing slope. There are a few trees nearish to the house which create both shelter and shade in the ideal place for a greenhouse... which is how it ended up in a rather unsheltered site before - I was trying to avoid too much shade from the trees...

Think I've figured it out now - but I've been at a conference for the last couple of days, and then have two heavy days at work, so won't be able to build it again til the weekend, pah!

Nothing much to report. Sorted YNAB from my hotel room this morning, all as expected, although there was another bill from the internet/phone people. I think because we moved at the end of Feb, nobody got their acts together to issue a bill at the start of March, so we got some at the start of April, and now this one is for the 16th, supposedly paying in advance for May

It's mucking my budget up no end but I suppose after this point everything will be in its rightful place and we'll know what's going on.

It's looking like April will gove us a more realistic idea of diesel use too - we spent 228 on diesel in march but we filled both cars right up on the first day, and then filled both again in the last week so it'll spread out (I hope...). It's 11th now and we've not had to fill either yet this month

Mr Cheery has acquired a wardrobe/bedroom set on Freegle today I believe Good job as our clothes are all kind of in piles at the minute and it doesn't make for a restful bedroom ultimately we'll have a separate dressing room but we can't do that til the builder's been to fix the floor...
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Apr 18, 7:41 PM
    • 28,968 Posts
    • 164,765 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Evening, Cheery! Yep, I'm guessing its best for your dressing room to have a floor I'm funny like that, I like floors too

Good to hear you've got things sorted for the greenhouse siting - and the YNAB. Oh, and the wardrobe - you're doing lots!
    Retired August 2016
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 11th Apr 18, 7:51 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 9,426 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Hiya Cheery

You do so well with your freegling - I'm off to have a squint

PP xx
    MFW 2018 #157 Target 15,000

4,964.08/15,000
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 15th Apr 18, 11:48 AM
    • 8,069 Posts
    • 39,492 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    It's Mr Cheery who's the advanced Freegler really I'm not consistent enough We're off to pick up a 'mini piano' this morning apparently...

FINALLY got round to claiming tax back for what I've paid in professional memberships for the last few years Taken me forever to do it - I didn't even know it was a thing til last year, and it took ages to sort out all the details of what I was a member of and when, and find the tax codes for both employers, and then I entered most of the details online and was just waiting for the final tax code - which I eventually got, but then we moved house and I forgot, and it only saves your form for a month so I had to fill it all in again

Still, it's done now, and if it works we should get a refund of 222 Which will go straight to the mortgage overpayments account

• try harder
    • By try harder 15th Apr 18, 11:55 AM
    • 751 Posts
    • 2,847 Thanks
    try harder
    Wow , great results with the free stuff
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 17th Apr 18, 7:03 PM
    • 8,069 Posts
    • 39,492 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks try harder

Well, that blithering piano It took three of us to get it in the car, with much groaning and straining And it then had to stay in the car, until a couple of local farmers popped round while I was hanging the washing out (apparently wanting to know if we wanted any mole traps laying, but I suspect just not very busy that day and wandering round for a nosey )

Anyway, as they'd already confessed the weren't busy, I persuaded them to help me get the piano in the house Suspect they regretted it But Mr Cheery's back has been playing up lately, and he had a slipped disc a few years ago and I do NOT want that happening again Anyway, between me and the two farmers we managed just fine, even though we did have to get it up a short flight of stone steps

Not much to report - not left the house for two days

FINALLY sorted the mystery with our bins... When we moved in there was only one, and I had to buy the other two, but it took them weeks and they only arrived after I'd chased. Every single week our bins haven't been collected, and I've had to ring the council, and get them to come back round another day.

Today we discovered the reason why... we're actually officially not meant to have wheelie bins, as our lane is too small for the truck Instead we have a system of bags, that are collected in a cheery little van...

WHY nobody knew that on all the occasions I've reported the missed collection, or when I ordered (and paid for!) new recycling bins, or when they delivered the recycling bins, or when the lorry came down to actually empty the wheelie bins they weren't meant to empty I don't know!

Hey ho. Council is on the case deciding whether I should get a refund or a wheelie bin collection... I suspect it will be less hassle for them to give me a refund, and it will save the daffodils in the lane getting even more trampled by the giant lorry!

What a palaver

Payday tomorrow
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 20th Apr 18, 9:43 AM
    • 8,069 Posts
    • 39,492 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Morning MSE chums, and what a glorious morning it is! I am MOST miffed to be working I tell you (even if it is at home). My study is in the least sunny part of the house, which quite frankly is probably a good thing because if there were too many sunbeams in here I'd probably be stretched out like a cat and fall asleep

Not much financial to report (there is currently a goldfinch trying to get moss out of our guttering which is cheerful but not exactly MSE )

Haven't done YNAB for days but it was payday on Wednesday so I do need to get in there and have a shuffle.

Arranged to get some free raspberry canes from someone on Freegle tonight who's only a couple of miles from here Mr Cheery picked up a dresser that will go in the garage to store tools etc too

Feel slightly guilty getting stuff off Freegle sometimes but we never post wanted ads, only ever take stuff people are offering. I've put stuff on there myself in the past but we're currently in an 'acquiring' phase rather than a 'getting rid' phase
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 20th Apr 18, 2:02 PM
    • 4,170 Posts
    • 46,431 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim

Not much financial to report (there is currently a goldfinch trying to get moss out of our guttering which is cheerful but not exactly MSE )
    Maybe Mr Goldfinch is on his own MFW journey, and is making use of foraged materials to make his abode a little bit more comfortable, or perhaps he's staging for resale??????

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • edwink
    • By edwink 20th Apr 18, 3:41 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 12,370 Thanks
    edwink
    Arranged to get some free raspberry canes from someone on Freegle tonight who's only a couple of miles from here Mr Cheery picked up a dresser that will go in the garage to store tools etc too
    Feel slightly guilty getting stuff off Freegle sometimes but we never post wanted ads, only ever take stuff people are offering. I've put stuff on there myself in the past but we're currently in an 'acquiring' phase rather than a 'getting rid' phase
    Hi Cheery

Don't feel guilty or even slightly guilty getting bits and bobs off Freegle. Just think about it, when your raspberries are up and running nicely you will be able to return the favour and offer some on Freegle yourself one day. Or you could offer any surplus fruit you might have in return. Don't be hard on yourself over getting some free stuff as it's not as if you are getting free stuff and then selling it is it? which I know people do, seriously they do which makes me so cross. Making use of it yourself is what it is all about. And at the end of the day you are actually doing someone a favour because they decide they don't need something anymore, list it and you say you need it and then go and pick it up. It saves them the petrol not to mention time having to take it somewhere plus the item will probably end up being dumped which would be a shame if it is perfectly useable for someone else. Plus the item is out of their way for free. So in theory you both gain.

Keep up the good work.

Edwink
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    7 ducks ~ 7 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

364Posts Today

4,620Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin