Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Mar 18, 6:28 AM
    • 8,645Posts
    • 44,071Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Cheery's country living adventure
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:28 AM
    Cheery's country living adventure 11th Mar 18 at 6:28 AM
    Hello lovely people

I'm Cheery, been around these parts a long time now and had several DFW diaries over the years, most recently here.

We are two - Mr Cheery and I. We've been together over 12 years now, and last week we moved from the middle of the city to the middle of nowhere. We were snowed in within 24 hours and unable to leave for a week Quite an introduction to country living

I now have a mortgage for the first time in my life Mr Cheery had one before, but as it was near the end when I met him, we never added me, and then it got to the end of its 25 year span a few years ago. Now we have a brand new one, and I would like to pay it off as soon as possible

It's going to take a while - we've borrowed 215,000 over 25 years A reasonable rate though (1.8%), fixed until Sept 2019. Our monthly payment is 890, and I'd like to overpay by 10 at least - with the aim of on average paying off an extra 110 a month to take it up to a round 1000.

If we don't pay it off early, it'll run til I'm 62, and Mr Cheery is 80 A good incentive to get on with it

Sadly our building society doesn't have online banking for mortgages (bloody ridiculous) and only sends annual statements, so it looks like I'll be ringing them up every five minutes for a new balance

I would love it if you dropped in occasionally for a nice cup of tea, especially if you brought along some cake

More details in a minute
Page 36
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Apr 19, 11:09 AM
    • 31,311 Posts
    • 184,427 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Cheery!

**bellows happily**

How brilliant is that! Congratulations!
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 8th Apr 19, 12:03 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 12,949 Thanks
    themadvix
    Wow, that's a great result Cheery!!
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 8th Apr 19, 3:58 PM
    • 2,420 Posts
    • 15,612 Thanks
    rtandon27
    WOW!!!

What a happy mistake!
    2+ YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 8th Apr 19, 5:01 PM
    • 8,645 Posts
    • 44,071 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks folks

If anyone's curious, I inadvertently did this

https://www.teamprofit.com/2up

Option 2: 'do nothing and hope' (Except I didn't know that's what I was doing, of course )
    Mortgage overpayments 1200 in 2018, 179.55 in 2019
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 8th Apr 19, 8:51 PM
    • 2,042 Posts
    • 7,615 Thanks
    teapot2
    Wow well done, thats the kind of financial mixup I'd like to have
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th Apr 19, 8:42 PM
    • 8,645 Posts
    • 44,071 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Evening chums

Well, I have stuck my nose in here because I have been avoiding doing YNAB for a couple of weeks (not for any good reason - got sidetracked with my matched betting experiments ) but I really MUST do it, payday is in a couple of days, I haven't even tallied up last month, and I foresee a LOT being just dumped in the Budget Fiddling category

So I'm going to delve in and stop being a massive wimp about it. Might put the kettle on first. Will report back
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th Apr 19, 9:32 PM
    • 8,645 Posts
    • 44,071 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ok, done Honestly I annoy myself sometimes leaving things for so long What a giant load of things to sift through!

As usual, so much easier if you do it in short bursts... But I'll probably never learn

Anyway, done now, and while it may not be entirely accurate it's at least up to date - look forwards rather than back and all that

25.97 to add to the mortgage overpayments Mostly from Prolific, and some from the bank account rewards thing. Will update in a minute

I know there has been some interest added to at least one of the 5% savings accounts - but since I'm not going to be transferring it to and from there, I'm not going to add it to the total for now (and also the log in details are in another room and I can't be bothered going to find them right now )

Nothing too drastic though, and an expenses payment I'd forgotten about from work so that's nice

Cars have been pesky this month - spent 220 fixing the pair of them (although admittedly that does include the manual for one, and us buying the wrong part for the other one and having to then go and buy the right part We may sell the first one again if we can!)

Will need to spend a bit on the chickens this week I think - probably need to order both food and treats. It's not cheap to run a chicken retirement village!

In other money news... matched betting experiment is going well Four weeks and two days in and I'm up 711 Helped by my accidental mix up the other day (which wasn't anything I'd done WRONG - it was more that there was a second promotion running alongside the one I had intended to take part in that I just happened to benefit from without realising). Anyway, the extra once totted up was 170 ish, not the 255 I originally thought, but still good

Everything else is just the usual little dribs and drabs - it all adds up!

Finding it quite addictive though I've always been quite capable of getting lost in a forum (er, witness my post count on here... ) and I suppose at least this is making us some dosh

Currently keeping it to 30-60 mins or so over breakfast, and then sometimes another 30-60 mins in the evening if we're not doing anything else, but I've been here on my own this evening and got a bit lost in it

Anyway, something to watch

Right, I'm off to see if I can find Alys Flowers on iplayer and figure out what colour I want to repaint my study
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 17th Apr 19, 8:56 AM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 12,949 Thanks
    themadvix
    The matched betting is going brilliantly Cheery!!

Will the place you bought the part from take it back if it's unused? Possibly a restocking fee, but cheaper than the reduced price you might get on Ebay (or similar).
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 17th Apr 19, 9:16 AM
    • 8,645 Posts
    • 44,071 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    We bought it from ebay and they specifically say they won't take it back if you order the wrong thing it was only 25 so we'll see if we can get a few quid selling it on and if not we'll count it as idiot tax
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 17th Apr 19, 11:20 AM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 12,949 Thanks
    themadvix
    Oh, fair enough... I think I'd misread it as the part costing 220!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 22nd Apr 19, 10:01 PM
    • 8,645 Posts
    • 44,071 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Evening chums, how neglectful I'm being!

All good here. We NEARLY acquired a cockerel yesterday but he's staying put in his present home for now until Mr Cheery and I can agree on whether it's a good idea or not which might take a while...

I've had the day to myself today and it's been lovely, a perfect end to a week off work

I started with some sitting around and put on about a million trigger bets for my matched betting adventure

Then i dug out the flat home blessing podcast and did that - one of the last things is to take the rubbish out and while i was talking or the compost i picked a few of the final daffodils for the kitchen - and looked up to see elderly neighbour coming down the (very long and bumpy) drive in his mobility scooter

Ha never visited - in fact i once said he should pop round for a cuppa o one day and he said 'no, i don't do that sort of thing' today he clearly made an exception as he was here for an hour and a half!! ended up inviting him in for a cuppa thinking he'd refuse but he didn't and spent ages in the kitchen inspecting what we done and telling me about his feud with the woman who used to live here

I was quite pleased actually - how often does a visitor turn up literally as soon as you've finished tidying before anyone's had chance to news up the house again?! have him a good tour and hopefully he'll go away and tell the rest of the neighborhood what a clean and tidy house i have

Back to work tomorrow, although just at home, and then off to Scotland for a conference for a couple of days not been on a long train trip for ages so quite looking forward to it (although i might have changed my mind after the first four hours)

Did sort ynab the other day, not in tooooo much of a me but as usual cursing myself for not keeping up regularly everything since has been put straight in the app so hopefully next time will be quicker!

Right, i should probably quit waffling and go to sleep...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

562Posts Today

5,454Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin