Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Mar 18, 7:28 AM
    • 8,465Posts
    • 42,789Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Cheery's country living adventure
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:28 AM
    Cheery's country living adventure 11th Mar 18 at 7:28 AM
    Hello lovely people

I'm Cheery, been around these parts a long time now and had several DFW diaries over the years, most recently here.

We are two - Mr Cheery and I. We've been together over 12 years now, and last week we moved from the middle of the city to the middle of nowhere. We were snowed in within 24 hours and unable to leave for a week Quite an introduction to country living

I now have a mortgage for the first time in my life Mr Cheery had one before, but as it was near the end when I met him, we never added me, and then it got to the end of its 25 year span a few years ago. Now we have a brand new one, and I would like to pay it off as soon as possible

It's going to take a while - we've borrowed 215,000 over 25 years A reasonable rate though (1.8%), fixed until Sept 2019. Our monthly payment is 890, and I'd like to overpay by 10 at least - with the aim of on average paying off an extra 110 a month to take it up to a round 1000.

If we don't pay it off early, it'll run til I'm 62, and Mr Cheery is 80 A good incentive to get on with it

Sadly our building society doesn't have online banking for mortgages (bloody ridiculous) and only sends annual statements, so it looks like I'll be ringing them up every five minutes for a new balance

I would love it if you dropped in occasionally for a nice cup of tea, especially if you brought along some cake

More details in a minute
Page 27
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 13th Jan 19, 2:11 PM
    • 8,465 Posts
    • 42,789 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Wise words from all of you

KC, glad to hear I'm not the only one with Christmas still hanging around Doesn't feel like there's anything to really replace it with yet - although I did spot some snowdrops peeking through yesterday They're not in the living room though

Greenbee, you are SO right about working out what to prioritise. We are fortunate that we don't NEED to be super frugal, and we can actually afford to have the heating on all day. I do work at home a lot now, and this week I've had the plug in oil filled radiator in my study too - that end of the house is never properly warm and while I don't mind sitting with woolly jumper and hot water bottle to work, I do draw the line at gloves and a blanket! Need to get the plumber back to balance the radiators at some point...

Angela, you are also so right about shrouds having no pockets... And of course we have no offspring to worry about when we go. As you say teapot, it's such a fine line working out where the balance should be between enjoying life now and provisioning the future. So sorry to hear about your OH Hope your recover from surgery goes as planned (and yes, very important to keep yourself warm and cosy in those circumstances especially!)

Well, we are having a slightly odd day here! Fed the chickens this morning, came back in and Mr Cheery got up saying there was no power Slightly confused, as I was convinced I'd just boiled the kettle to make the chickens' porridge but apparently there had been a power cut while I was outside

Our first power cut! It actually had no effect on us as we were off out anyway (to the cafe for breakfast ) - stayed out a little longer pottering round town and it was back on again by the time we got home. Phew!

Very windy again here though, not surprised it had gone out somewhere. Did make us think about making sure we have provisions for a longer power cut - we have plenty of torches, candles, matches etc, and can light the gas cooker with matches if necessary (although the oven is electric). HEATING though We do have one fireplace in the study, which we were going to check this weekend... but it's made me think about prioritising getting the solid fuel stove installed into the living room. We have the stove and the pipe, it just needs installing into the place where the gas fire was. Will add it to my list of things to investigate and then we'll be all set.

And maybe if we've got a fire in the living room that will add enough cheerfulness and cosiness that we can take the Christmas tree down

We did buy a few charity shop books today - 8 for 2 (last of the big spenders ) Also had tea in TWO cafes - although one of those was M0rrisns and I had a free tea voucher so for a total of 10.50 we had two mugs of tea (one of them a pint mug!), two coffees, two scones, a teacake and a pear Not toooooo bad (and also not exactly depriving ourselves either )

Going to stay inside and get cosy for a bit - got to nip out to musical group practice thing later but got a couple of hours to warm up first.
    Mortgage overpayments 1200 in 2018, 54.50 in 2019
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 13th Jan 19, 2:29 PM
    • 8,465 Posts
    • 42,789 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    UFM Day 13

Ooh, hadn't realised the UFM email had arrived

Today is about not spending money to look good

I'm actually happy with the balance I have in this area, and if anything think I could probably spend a bit more

My clothes pretty much always come from charity shops, and always have. I usually buy a pair of knee high flat boots for work every year or two - I have no objection to buying those second hand but I'm quite fussy and people tend to wear decent ones to death so hard to find second hand. This year's were from M&S, 60 I think, but should last at least a couple of years - especially now I don't walk to work in them every day

I should probably confess I did just buy a tartan dress thing today for 6 Lost a stone over the last few months and quite a few of my clothes are saggy and I find myself wearing the same thing over and over which is getting quite tiresome.

Hair ... I've not actually had a hair cut for about 18 months I have rather long hair and generally just leave it to do its own thing. I did buy a pair of hairdressing scissors a few years ago for trimming the ends which have been great, and I generally tend to wear it tied up anyway. I DO want to go and get it cut soon though - I've been growing out a fringe and am NOT happy with how the front looks at the minute, I've been tinkering with it but can't get it right. I've been putting it off, because hairdressers ALWAYS make a comment about how they can tell I've cut it myself Doesn't exactly make me want to go to the hairdresser more!

Last time I paid 7 for a haircut, so probably currently averaging no more than 5 a year
    I got into the habit of dying my hair over the last few years. It's quite a nondescript colour, and I'm starting to get weird grey tufts above my ears which I HATE However, I've only done it once since we moved - I wasn't sure how the septic tank would react to hair dye although I've now realised that the shower water just goes straight out into the field anyway Even when I was doing it regularly I did it myself with a 6 box of hair dye maybe every 2 or 3 months - 25-35 a year (and often less)

Nails - never had them done professionally. I do like wearing nail varnish, but very often don't.Thinking about it, now I'm not outside with my hands in the soil I could probably do it mire often and have it stay on Got plenty of colours here to use up - maybe that should be a bit of a mission

Make up - I do wear minimal make up (foundation, mascara, lip stick/gloss). Nowt fancy, eg mascara usually 99p off the market Currently using lip stuff I made myself over a year ago, just a mis of beeswax, olive oil and the end of an old lipstick melted down and poured into a couple of tins

I'm quite scruffy, especially when I'm not at work I manage 'reasonably tidy' at work, but I've never been 'well groomed'. Sometimes I wish I was, but I was never brought up that way, and a big part of me can't really be bothered figuring it out now

Still, a hair cut once a year, and making an effort to use up my stash of nail varnish, and some clothes that don't have holes in are probably good things to aim for

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Jan 19, 3:19 PM
    • 30,546 Posts
    • 178,286 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I'm quite scruffy, especially when I'm not at work I manage 'reasonably tidy' at work, but I've never been 'well groomed'. Sometimes I wish I was, but I was never brought up that way, and a big part of me can't really be bothered figuring it out now

This! So much this! And I don't wear makeup, minimal or otherwise, except once every other blue moon. Nail varnish, I wear on my toes. Too much faff otherwise. Except when going to a vampire fancy dress party, then a couple of dabs on your neck shows a vampire has bitten you
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 15th Jan 19, 12:41 PM
    • 8,766 Posts
    • 46,337 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Reasonably tidy is about as good as I get as a rule as well - and frankly, for the sort of company I usually mix in, that's good enough, too!

I find that list based shopping works for me because I hate supermarkets - so if I meal plan, and make a list, and buy what is on that list, normally I can get away with only going into one once a week, which is fabulous! Whether I spend less doing it that way than otherwise I have no idea, the money into the food budget account each month now is 175 though and we still build uop to a nice surplus in there that contributes to holiday spending money so something must be going right!

Definitely a good idea to sort out the stove for heating too I'd suggest - they do say that if you have a house that was built and designed to be heated with some form of real fire then you should do everything you can to heat it that way if possible, after all!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 17th Jan 19, 7:19 PM
    • 8,465 Posts
    • 42,789 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Evening MSE chums

Thought I'd popped in yesterday and replied?! Apparently not

Anyway, a couple of MSE things today

Finally got round to setting up the PO savings account and transferring some money in Not straightforward - either I've lost the letter with the account number in, or they never sent it... (suspect the latter - they've sent us two of everything else and it seems unlikely both would have gone missing!) Anyway, I passed the telephone security tests and am all set up now Transferred 100 to start with - want to make sure it arrives before transferring all our savings Not there yet... (but then I did only do it 5 minutes ago - patience dear girl... )

What else? Bank rewards payment arrived, so that's 5.50 to the mortgage must update signature 54.50 in there now

Just did a bit of YNAB shuffling - couple of things not quite adding up (And I confused myself by getting cash back at the supermarket - so 30 has arrived in my cash account without leaving the bank yet ). Still, it's payday tomorrow so I'll have a proper shuffle then

Filled the big car up today so (fingers crossed) that should last us til the end of the month... Although we do have a trip planned to see Mr Cheery's family - should manage with what's in there though as we don't have loads of other trips planned.

The other car is half full, and I've got to go to town twice next week so will likely have to fill that again - that's only about 35 though.

Not much else to report I don't think. Annoyed myself by realising too late I could have got over 1000 swagbucks points for opening the PO savings account but I had the ad blocker switched on so it didn't track Hey ho, that'll teach me I suppose!

Off to open one of the current accounts with the linked saver now - not got round to that yet either...
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Jan 19, 7:30 PM
    • 30,546 Posts
    • 178,286 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Ooh, new accounts - as soon as I've finished the dividends and savings declaration for hmrc, thats what I'm up to. But how annoying about not getting the 1000 SB - thats about 7? Would certainly buy something nice on Amazon Stay with it for next time.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 17th Jan 19, 7:53 PM
    • 8,465 Posts
    • 42,789 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    N@tionwide account opened - did it as a joint account and remembered why I was going to do it just in my name when it said it won't be properly open til we go into the bank with ID

Fortunately there's a branch in our little local town and we're usually there a couple of times a week anyway.

Not done the TSB one yet - am I being daft wanting to get one account fully open before I start applying for another one? Can't open the regular saver til the current account is properly opened either.

Getting there though!

Right - UFM catch up...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 17th Jan 19, 8:03 PM
    • 8,465 Posts
    • 42,789 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Good grief, I'm days behind Will try to be brief...

UFM Day 14

Day 14 was about empowering yourself to do things you might otherwise pay for. As we have been known to cut our own hair, do our own plastering, dismantle our own chimneys and generally refuse to pay anyone to do anything unless we absolutely have to, I think we get a big fat tick in this box

UFM Day 15

Day 15 was about asking ourselves why we spend money. Hmm. The normal reasons of course, eating and the like Our main treat spends is in cafes... which we like to get us out of the house, spend an hour sitting somewhere else quiet with a crossword etc, or to meet people for lunch (less often). We could obviously take a flask of tea and sit on a bench somewhere, and sometimes we do. Not in this weather though

UFM Day 16

Day 16 was about emergency frozen food I'm not as good at this as I could be... but I've got a couple of stashes of soup left in the freezer, and my lasagne has been a hit this week and last week Not just for taking into the office, but also for defrosting so I don't have to stop and make lunch when I'm working at home Freezer dinners for the win!

But I'm running low now - only one portion of lasagne left and two soups. Need to get on the case over the weekend.

And now we're up to today Except I've been staring at the screen for too long already and want time to think about it so I'm going to save today for tomorrow
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 17th Jan 19, 10:07 PM
    • 12,950 Posts
    • 223,279 Thanks
    greenbee
    Well done.

Reading your UFM is making me feel a little better about my lack of effort. Turns out I'm not doing too badly. And I'm paying it forward by helping friends claim back HR tax on pension contributions...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 17th Jan 19, 10:32 PM
    • 8,465 Posts
    • 42,789 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Good work greenbee, you are definitely paying it forward there!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 17th Jan 19, 10:54 PM
    • 8,766 Posts
    • 46,337 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Tell me you didn't open a N'wide account without getting the "friend bonus" from someone?! I suspect you'll very much enjoy N'wide though - there's the linked regular saver as you know, but the ordinary online savings accounts also pay *reasonably* well - the one my Reg saver just converted into was showing at 0.6% earlier. And of course you can personalise all your accounts to give them there own nice descriptive names - I have several for various sorts of "fun" and one for airshow savings called "Red Arrows Stalking" Very easy to navigate too. It's the reason why every now and then when starts on about switching your bank account if you've been with the same provider forever I think about it for a nanosecond then go "nah!"

Had to laugh at the idea of you sitting on a bench with your tea and crumpets in this weather - although if you stayed there for long you'd probably tick the "Emergency frozen food" box nice and easily!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 18th Jan 19, 8:25 AM
    • 8,465 Posts
    • 42,789 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I think (hope!) the friends bonus is only available if you actually switch current accounts - which we're not doing. Got 5 current & savings accounts with the Co op and staying put This is just an extra one for savings...

Not even looking now if I could have got the bonus cos I'll be annoyed if I've missed it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,976Posts Today

8,662Users online

Martin's Twitter