Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Mar 18, 7:28 AM
    • 8,283Posts
    • 41,306Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Cheery's country living adventure
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:28 AM
    Cheery's country living adventure 11th Mar 18 at 7:28 AM
    Hello lovely people

I'm Cheery, been around these parts a long time now and had several DFW diaries over the years, most recently here.

We are two - Mr Cheery and I. We've been together over 12 years now, and last week we moved from the middle of the city to the middle of nowhere. We were snowed in within 24 hours and unable to leave for a week Quite an introduction to country living

I now have a mortgage for the first time in my life Mr Cheery had one before, but as it was near the end when I met him, we never added me, and then it got to the end of its 25 year span a few years ago. Now we have a brand new one, and I would like to pay it off as soon as possible

It's going to take a while - we've borrowed 215,000 over 25 years A reasonable rate though (1.8%), fixed until Sept 2019. Our monthly payment is 890, and I'd like to overpay by 10 at least - with the aim of on average paying off an extra 110 a month to take it up to a round 1000.

If we don't pay it off early, it'll run til I'm 62, and Mr Cheery is 80 A good incentive to get on with it

Sadly our building society doesn't have online banking for mortgages (bloody ridiculous) and only sends annual statements, so it looks like I'll be ringing them up every five minutes for a new balance

I would love it if you dropped in occasionally for a nice cup of tea, especially if you brought along some cake

More details in a minute
Page 13
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Jul 18, 9:33 AM
    • 29,739 Posts
    • 171,476 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Congratulations on the lettuce! And the beans, and the liquid fertiliser applied. It's really happening!
    Retired August 2016
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 10th Jul 18, 10:44 AM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 14,487 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Wow Cheery - your own lettuce - Fabulous!
    1 YEAR & 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    STILL - Juggling the pots to keep in the black! - NOT an easy task!
    • edwink
    • By edwink 10th Jul 18, 11:24 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 13,105 Thanks
    edwink
    Hi Cheery

With regards to feed for your growing plants we put comfrey and nettles in one of our water butts and allow it to soak for a few weeks before using it. You can use it as a quick and easy all purpose feed. When it rains and the water butt fills up we add more nettles and comfrey. Then all you need to do is use the tap to get some of the liquid feed out in to a watering can. To be honest I never measure it very well because I just guess. But, roughly 10% liquid feed in a big watering can and top it up with water from another water butt and feed that directly to your plants at least once a week. Nice and quick, cheap and easy to do without having to strain the liquid. We just tip the water butt out once a year and put what is in there in to one of our compost bins and the next year we start again with fresh nettles etc.

Or here is a link from Gardeners World which shows you how to make it another way but it needs straining. Personally for me I think it is a lot more work than using a spare water butt.

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/maintain-the-garden/how-to-make-nettle-and-comfrey-feed/

Hope that is some help.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 10-07-2018 at 11:30 PM.
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    6 ducks ~ 4 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Jul 18, 8:49 AM
    • 29,739 Posts
    • 171,476 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Edwink, can I just butt in (ha!) and ask about the nettles? I've got a lot that have grown over from next door, and I'm about to deal with them on Friday ... but they've got seeds on them now. Is that soaking method still okay to do? I learn so much on mse, and the *variety* of what I learn is staggering!
    Retired August 2016
    • edwink
    • By edwink 11th Jul 18, 1:34 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 13,105 Thanks
    edwink
    Edwink, can I just butt in (ha!) and ask about the nettles? I've got a lot that have grown over from next door, and I'm about to deal with them on Friday ... but they've got seeds on them now. Is that soaking method still okay to do? I learn so much on mse, and the *variety* of what I learn is staggering!
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    We use ones with seeds on with no problems. Ours come through from our neighbours too so with gloves on we just tug them out and more often than not they have their roots attached too. We put the whole lot in the water butt.

HTH

Edwink
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    6 ducks ~ 4 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Jul 18, 3:44 PM
    • 8,283 Posts
    • 41,306 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Funnilyenough I did throw a load of dandelions in a water butt weeks ago, but it literally hasn't rained since and after I've finished lugging watering cans round the garden I just haven't been bothered to bring more water out to fill up the water butt...

Annoyed with myself today - faffing about led to me having to spend 10 on a taxi!!! my own fault too
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = 558.25
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 11th Jul 18, 5:48 PM
    • 4,369 Posts
    • 48,853 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Annoyed with myself today - faffing about led to me having to spend 10 on a taxi!!! my own fault too
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff

Needs must sometimes Cheery - and don't forget to give yourself a when you walk to places, car-share or cycle........ i'm sure they are much more the norm, looking at the big picture..........

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug' 'Your Vibe attracts your Tribe'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Jul 18, 8:55 PM
    • 29,739 Posts
    • 171,476 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks edwink! I suspect we're going to get a lot of rain quite soon, the skies are really threatening, so this is a good time.

Cheery - listen to Greying! Taxis are not the norm for you, the big picture is fine
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 12th Jul 18, 11:28 AM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 11,079 Thanks
    themadvix
    Thanks for the tip Edwink - I knew comfrey was good for plant food but didn't know about nettles and the water butt system sounds so easy compared to some ways I've read of doing it!

Cheery, these things happen - don't let it get you down. Your veg sound like they are coming along well (and reassuring me that mine have still got time to grow yet!).
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    Starting balance 2012: 132000; balance Jul 2018: 91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • starnac
    • By starnac 12th Jul 18, 1:19 PM
    • 5,344 Posts
    • 25,187 Thanks
    starnac
    Edwink what great advice. Thank you.

Cheery well done on the lettuces. Ours are almost big enough to eat and we have 1 flower on one of our tomato plants
    Savings 2235.59
    Overpayments #182 made 467.13/1208.15
    Make 2018 in 2018 #70 688.42/2018
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th Jul 18, 5:36 PM
    • 8,283 Posts
    • 41,306 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thank you, you lovely lot

Well I FINALLY got round to doing YNAB and banks - obviously being pesky and misbehaving from having been left alone for too long Even managed to lose something in the bank account and had to put it under Budget Fiddling

Hey ho.

Not having too bad a time of it finances wise. Went to an event at the weekend which was planned - 50 for accommodation and food (I use the term 'accommodation' loosely as it was camping and I slept in the car ) Food was nice though Came home early though so missed some of it...

Still harvesting our lettuces and I actually harvested a bowl full of raspberries today! A small bowl, but even so SO excited about this - I LOVE raspberries, and I've never had enough to harvest more than 4 or 5 at a time We got these canes from a woman who was moving house through Freegle, a few weeks after we moved in, and they've been great

Cucumbers and beans have got flowers on now and there are a few more tiny tomatoes developing...

NOT impressed with the sandals I bought last week for 20 I bought them in a rush and wasn't entirely convinced, but now the straps have actually started to come away from the sole Not exactly good enough after a week of wear, especially from an 'outdoors' shop! They'll be going back when I get the chance...

Er, what else? Worked at home today, and tomorrow, and having Wednesday off Friend is coming, so we can eat lunch here (I do have to have a repair done to the car in the morning though...)

Thursday I'm working at home but meeting someone for lunch in a pub

Friday I'm in town, unusually.

Tried and tried to get my timetable sorted out for September but it's looking like some weeks I'm going to have to be in the city 4 days Most unfortunate but there doesn't seem to be a way of sorting it out sadly Hey ho, it's only for a few weeks...

Right, food shopping calls... yawn...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 18th Jul 18, 7:35 AM
    • 8,283 Posts
    • 41,306 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Morning MSE chums

Hope all is cheery with you I am having a day off and a cheery friend is coming to help out with a few things - I've made a list doesn't seem to be as hot as late so we might be able to get a good few outside things done.

Most exciting news round here lately is that we have a bed!! You see, in our old house, the mattress was on a kind of mezzanine thing that you had to climb up to, which was fine (although a bit precarious when very drunk )

When we moved obvious didn't have a bed frame so have just had the mattress on the floor, also fine but not ideal longer term.

Mr Cheery (who is far more frugal than me ) has been scouring Freegle/Gumtree/3bay etc to find us a decent bed frame that didn't cost too much (and wasn't far away) and last week got fed up of waiting and decided to make a temporary one from various bits of wood we had lying round.

I am now lying in it it's ace and also extremely sturdy and I suspect will last far longer than temporarily Headboard is made of a combination of bannister rails and curtain poles and it's quite high up (deliberately) so has loads of storage room under it (I think he's missing the ladder up to the old bed )

So very exciting Can start retrieving clothing and boxes from around the house now and putting the bedroom back together a bit finally

Not much else to report. Been at home for a few days so aside from a couple of cafe trips (about 6 a time usually) and the normal food shoppong we've not spent much

Car's in the garage this morning though so that'll be 130. Ooh, but it's PAYDAY so i can play around with some numbers
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 18th Jul 18, 9:33 AM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 11,079 Thanks
    themadvix
    Bed frame sounds fab Cheery! And yay to raspberries - I'm envious as we've only had a handful this year (sadly some shrivelled on the plant despite watering - it was just too hot!). Enjoy!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 18th Jul 18, 10:15 AM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 14,487 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Well done to Mr Cheery for his resourcefulness!
    1 YEAR & 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    STILL - Juggling the pots to keep in the black! - NOT an easy task!
    • starnac
    • By starnac 18th Jul 18, 11:54 AM
    • 5,344 Posts
    • 25,187 Thanks
    starnac
    Yay! He finished it. Glad it fitted through the door I also bet that is now your actual (not temporary) bed
    Savings 2235.59
    Overpayments #182 made 467.13/1208.15
    Make 2018 in 2018 #70 688.42/2018
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Jul 18, 10:41 AM
    • 29,739 Posts
    • 171,476 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That sounds absolutely wonderful! I'm with the others, I bet that becomes permanent - as it should
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 19th Jul 18, 10:56 AM
    • 8,283 Posts
    • 41,306 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oh it'll definitely be permanent now, it's extremely sturdy and overengineered And it did come inside the house - but only because he dismantled it and rebuilt it again in the bedroom The doors aren't very big here!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 22nd Jul 18, 11:40 PM
    • 8,283 Posts
    • 41,306 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Evening chums

Cheery weekend here. Mother came to visit and we put her to work took a load of stuff from the loft to the tip (broken chipboard cupboard, mousy old carpets etc) Went to a little village fete but it wasn't particularly spendy - we had an ice cream and a go on the tombola etc

There may have been a cafe trip or two...

Planted more veg outside which (after a few days of getting settled in) will save on water Cabbage this time, kale, rocket, and beetroot courgettes are definitely courgettes now and we've got some tiny cucumbers forming

What else?Mr Cheery has had a clear out and built us soke new shelves in the utility room, just need to populate them now

Oh, and we FINALLY had a quote for our building work -including VAT they wanted 14,000 needless to say they won't be getting it that's far more than we'd allocated plus more than our entire emergency fund so even if we wanted to spend such a ludicrous sum we couldn't

Hey ho. Lovely local farmer has taken pity on us and offered to take the chimney off which is the bit we definitely couldn't do ourselves Then we can do various bits of demolishing, then farmer is confident we'll be able to find someone once the weather turns so we'll get them to do the joists etc. Not ideal but as only one of the four builders has actually quoted and we can't afford it we don't have much choice

Hey ho. Back to work tomorrow!
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 23rd Jul 18, 8:08 AM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 11,079 Thanks
    themadvix
    Ouch to that quote Cheery, I don't blame you for opting for plan B! That's very kind of the farmer to offer to help though.

Yay to the tiny cucumbers etc... I discovered a third spring onion had sprung this morning! We also put shelving up in the utility - has made a huge difference. Enjoy filling your shelves!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 23rd Jul 18, 9:26 AM
    • 29,739 Posts
    • 171,476 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Yowch, Cheery - but you've got a good neighbour. And a mum helping out Loving the little crops showing up - I bought a salvia last week, with unusually big leaves, and repotted it on instead of putting it out in the heat when I'm away - and it loves it, the leaves are practically standing to attention. A plan comes together
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,516Posts Today

6,958Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin