Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 11th Mar 18, 6:35 AM
    • 421Posts
    • 5,855Thanks
    silver-oldie
    O/S Daily Sunday 11th March 2018
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:35 AM
    O/S Daily Sunday 11th March 2018 11th Mar 18 at 6:35 AM
    This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
Page 1
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 11th Mar 18, 6:52 AM
    • 421 Posts
    • 5,855 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:52 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:52 AM
    Good morning All

Raining here but mild.

Will visit Mother this morning and then home to cook a nice roast for us.
    Saw DiL and DGS last weekend, they bought me some beautiful flowers and my favourite maltesers, so won't see them today. Haven't seen DS since the new year, but we did have a nice chat on the phone a few weeks ago.
    Not much else to say,
    Thinking of Holly

Hope you all have a good day
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 11th Mar 18, 7:04 AM
    • 3,695 Posts
    • 46,309 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:04 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:04 AM
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread Silver, hugs to all those in need especially Holly.

Raining here and looks set in for the day, my DS'S and taking me out for lunch and CHS too.
    DS1 hasn't seen the boat yet, he was a bit concerned about how I'd manage so I hope the visit will put his mind at rest.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 11th Mar 18, 7:13 AM
    • 4,023 Posts
    • 27,952 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:13 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:13 AM
    Morning folks and thanks SILVER OLDIE for the new thread. Fine here and it looks as though the sun is trying to get out! Feels mild.

Happy Mothers Day for the mums on here, have a lovely day. I don't think I shall see either of my kids today but cards and presents have already been dropped off. DS called yesterday with a beautiful bunch of lilies - an amazing colour, nicest I have seen, some chocs and a card. DD left cards and gifts on Friday in case she wasn't back down from Darlington in time to call in.

All is going well in Darlington (tiring but well!) "Margot" has been cast as one of the dolls in Coppelia and her ballet teacher is impressed as it's what she was hoping for her. Youngest DGD (Margot mark 2!) has a rehearsal this morning for her local show of Cinderella (ballet not pantomime!) and when picked back up she is to drop off at home where DD's bf will look after her till DD gets home. Eldest due back from London today too so it will be to back the usual mad house down there by this evening!

I have had a right longing for a pie since watching Masterchef on Friday night, when Jay Rayner's brief was for a pie! So left some mince defrosting o/night (Aberdeen Angus minced steak, which I got for half price) and will start on a minced beef and onion pie shortly. That will be late lunch with mashed pots and veg and lashings of gravy. Hopefully a bit left for supper too.

Have a good day all and ((HUGS)) for all those in need/want of them. Thinking especially of HOLLY and hope Nelski has better news for us soon. GERS your mum's celebrations sounded wonderful. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 11th Mar 18, 7:20 AM
    • 1,639 Posts
    • 19,620 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:20 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:20 AM
    Good morning from the land of mist and damp - not at all cold though. Thanks for starting the thread sikver-oldie.

I'm still sitting here staring at bl**dy luggage.

I'll phone my mum later, she likes to lie in though would never admit it!

Today I have no real plans other than cooking roast lamb plus lots of veg and reading the Sunday Times, I might do some toymaking and need to order yarn for two baby blankets.

Yesterday I woke up missing a filling which I suspect
    I swallowed, and later in the day a crown fell off though I've got that. Dentist is very expensive, bums.

Hope that everyone has a good day and also that things are not too difficult for Holly.
    Last edited by ancientofdays; 11-03-2018 at 7:23 AM.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 11th Mar 18, 7:31 AM
    • 2,143 Posts
    • 26,425 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:31 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:31 AM
    Morning everyone and thanks for the start SilverOldie,

Yesterday ended up being very productive as I got out in the garden and did a fair bit of cutting back & clearing, am pleased at how well my tendonitis held up to the work and is not sore at all this morning.
    Today I intend to pick up some flowers and take them over to Mumís grave, she is, as always, on my mind
    Happy Motherís Day to all our Mums and Nans on here, hope you are all suitably spoilt.
    Positive thoughts and energy to HH and thanks again to Nels for organising the card.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Mar 18, 7:34 AM
    • 6,487 Posts
    • 41,286 Thanks
    Gers
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:34 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:34 AM
    Good morning everyone.

Still in Glasgow were itís raining still.

Yesterday evening was lovely. All the W aitrose food made things so much easier. I had got a selection of cheeses, antipasti, deli meats etc. Along with bread and oatcakes and wine everything was simple.

I didnít stay long with the group retiring to my bedroom and letting the chatting go on without me. It became too tiring to concentrate on the conversation between three people talking German, and lost both the thread and the interest. They all got on fine without me!

This morning Iím taking a load of cardboard to the recycling place, returning the green crate to W aitrose, collecting the visitors, taking them to the airport and then....going home.

DM has had a wonderful time though even she is glad itís over. Sheíll need a lot of recovery time and has promised no celebrations next year.

TA - the ballet rehearsals for both DGD sounds exhausting, itís grest to hear all the effort being put into their dancing.

Happy Sunday to all.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 11th Mar 18, 7:37 AM
    • 1,639 Posts
    • 19,620 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:37 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:37 AM
    Gers I'm so glad your mum had such a special time she must be exhausted!
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 11th Mar 18, 8:06 AM
    • 3,088 Posts
    • 42,573 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:06 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:06 AM
    Morning everyone

Silveroldie - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Light here, damp underfoot, but not raining at the moment, quite mild too.

Thinking especially of Holly, hope she receiving the best care for her needs x If I'm not too late please add me to the card, sending love, hugs and strength to her x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH and I are both up enjoying first peaceful cuppas, he's watching a rather noisy film, which woke me, so he's still watching it and I'm on here. Both boys still in their pits, DS1 was out on the tiles last night but DH said he came in at 2.30am (which is quite early) so not expecting to see him just yet and DS2 he will start moving about in a short while I think.

Dinner last night was liver, bacon, sausages, chips, peas and gravy - lovely it was too, ice cream for dessert. Today will be roast chicken, roasties, mash, cauli/broc cheese, carrots, peas, HG purple sprouting broc (I'll cut that from the plants, wash it then it'll go straight into steamer to cook, can't get fresher than that!), gravy and yorkshires, there's some chilled sauvignon blanc to wash it down.

We'll be heading to the parents this morning to take the Mother's day gifts and cards, then home for roast and relax, I won't be doing much this afternoon other than surfing on her or watching tv/films or reading.

Bro is visiting mum and dad this weekend he arrived yesterday afternoon and will go home later today, we haven't planned anything big for mum as she just wouldn't cope with it, at the moment she's very muddled and thinks it's xmas and that she should be getting the xmas decs down from the loft to put up. Sad to see but we just have to get on with it.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 11-03-2018 at 8:08 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 11th Mar 18, 8:13 AM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 46,787 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Morning All

Dry but overcast this morning, washing can go on the rack and airers, there seems to be rather a lot today, bedding included.

Glad everything went well for your DM Gers, hope both you and she have a good rest after this!
    Well done Margot TA.

The party at friends was a bit flat but the food was good! I'm tired this morning, 2 nights out on the trot plus I'm reading a book I'm really enjoying so read for a while when I got in.

Going to meet DD later, lunch and a bit of shopping, nothing too taxing!

Enjoy your Sunday. Take care. XX
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Mar 18, 9:43 AM
    • 15,974 Posts
    • 135,591 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning all and a bit of a damp one at the moment here in Kent but not cold at all's spring must be on the way .
    I had a lovely meal out last night with DD and family and opening up the gifts she left for me this morning I have been very well looked after

I had a circulon frying pan which I had been contemplating buying which is great (just cooked breakfast in it ) and a lovely bottle of Jo Malone body and hand wash which is rose scented and smells gorgeous.
    I love Jo Malone scents, but find it just bit too expensive to justify

Eldest DD knows this bless her, and although I shall probably tell her off her standard reply is 'Your my Mum and treated me growing up, so I am returning the compliment 'Bless her she is a good lass and know exactly what I like

Youngest DD is coming round this morning ,even though I shall see her for dinner later she too is a dear lass, and I am so lucky that both my DDs are such lovely ladies, although I do tell them off for spending too much at times, not that they ever take much notice

DGS Danny texted from NYC late last night and said although he loves his life out there and his job he still gets homesick when its Mothers Day but he will facetime his Mum later when he gets up (their time difference is about 5-6 hours behind the UK) He will also facetime me around 2.00.p.m. our time

Gers sounds like your Mum enjoyed herself, now its time for you to put your feet up and relax for a bit ,definitely porridge and old clothes day today

Hope our Holly H is OK and being taken care of bless her.

Time to get a shift and the kettle on.

To all the Mum,Nans and in fact all of the women who work hard to look after their loved ones I hope you all have a nice relaxing day today

Love to you all

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 June spends so far £18.90, brought a few odds and ends home from my holiday and using those up first.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 11th Mar 18, 9:54 AM
    • 6,692 Posts
    • 93,296 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Dry here atm but rain due later I think I have stripped the beds and got them on a hot wash I will try to hang them out for a while.

We had the most delicious meal last night lots of lovely tapas which kept coming and coming and a tasty bottle of wine or two it was a very pleasant evening.

Going to walk round and see my mum later on with a card and some flowers, she enjoyed getting out for the night too.

Today will be a restful day with just general pottering round and maybe a film this afternoon.

Have good days all xx
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 11th Mar 18, 10:35 AM
    • 12,454 Posts
    • 40,153 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning

Happy Mothers Day to all of you lovely mums on here and especially to my adopted mum Jackie hope everyone is spoilt rotten.

Called the hospital this morning but nothing really to report the woman who answered was extremely "off" I think I must have rudely interrupted her chewing a wasp anyway all she would say is Holly is OK whatever that might mean. Anyway I have sorted a book out for her from Amazon so she should get that tomorrow at least she will know we are thinking about her.

NMLC its not too late Ill add you today then send tomorrow.

Gers Im glad your weekend went so well I bet your mum is soo grateful for all the running around you have done. Time for a chilled evening now

silver_oldie hope it goes OK with mum today

No real plans today mum didn't want to go out for lunch as its too busy everywhere for her so spoke to her this morning and she actually sounded quite pleased with her pressys ...just some face creams and hand creams ...the lacura brand from Aldi.

Sunday brunch on now then I will crack on with some shopping and a wander out in this currently lovely weather. Food last night was my chicken tikka curry with nan bread and some spicy onions Tonight I am having some Christmas ham with veg and new pots.

Right best get on have a lovely day all
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 11th Mar 18, 10:54 AM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning all
    Usual Sunday, Roast of the day is pork, roast potatoes and parsnips, honey carrots, greens and gravy.
    Still feeling meh this morning, so I will wish everyone a Happy Day whether you're a Mum or not.
    Take care and hugs all round, extras to Holly.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 11th Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 12,454 Posts
    • 40,153 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning all
    Usual Sunday, Roast of the day is pork, roast potatoes and parsnips, honey carrots, greens and gravy.
    Still feeling meh this morning, so I will wish everyone a Happy Day whether you're a Mum or not.
    Take care and hugs all round, extras to Holly.
    Originally posted by nannywindow
    oi you ...have a weird hug . I miss your funny posts hope all is OK xx

Just had a text from Holly ....She said she is really struggling with the whole situation and what has happened. she has been really upset this morning and a nurse came to check on her stayed for 5 mins and said she would be back but didnt bother. Maybe she had to get back to her wasp chewing

Its so awful the poor love is really going through it. hoping they allow her home soon so that she can get comfort from her friends and family.
    Last edited by Nelski; 11-03-2018 at 11:45 AM.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 11th Mar 18, 11:39 AM
    • 1,639 Posts
    • 19,620 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Well bum, bum and bum again. We are having roast lamb today and I like yorkshires with it so I'd just made the batter and dripped some oil into my patty pan when my OH came into the kitchen and pointed out helpfully that there are some in the freezer. There will be even more because I always do a double quantity. But I had only 4 eggs left and I've used 2 up. Not very OS.

But I got a free sachet of clarins face cream in the newspaper. And the sun's come out.
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 11th Mar 18, 12:36 PM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 5,951 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    But I got a free sachet of clarins face cream in the newspaper. And the sun's come out.[/QUOTE]

Thats the way AOD enjoy the small things!
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 11th Mar 18, 1:23 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 5,855 Thanks
    silver-oldie

silver_oldie hope it goes OK with mum today
    Originally posted by Nelski
    She did talk, I took some fresh cream cakes, she 'managed' to eat them and then complained they were greasy. Mine was lovely.
    A thank you would have been nice but didn't really expect it.
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 11th Mar 18, 1:36 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 6,609 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    Afternoon all!
    Hope Holly's doing ok.
    I had a lovely evening out last night, although the food and company was very good, they were really pumping the music in there - it was almost too loud to hear each other! We must be getting old!

I got very frustrated by the downstairs neighbours. They seemed to be having some sort of gathering, that was still going on when I woke at 1am for a glass of water, then they were still at it and woke me up at 7am! Luckily, I fall asleep to a documentary or something on my ipad, but I was annoyed to be woken by them. It's not the first time it's happened, since they moved in around xmas time. The noise only just stopped about 12:45, which is ridiculous. I decided to make the first stage of a formal complaint to the council, so just sent them an email. I don't want to cause trouble at this stage, but I think they need to be aware that they are impacting on people.

I am off out to the cinema in a bit. I've been meaning to see 'The Greatest Showman' for weeks and weeks, but never quite got around to it. Intended to do the 1pm showing, but it was fully booked online! I was then able to get one of the last tickets for the 3:30 show instead. I find booking online and paying, actually makes me go! The cinema is only a 10-12 minute drive, but the motivation to get up and out on the weekends can be hard for me sometimes!

Tea tonight will be chicken and chips, although might have a little treat at the cinema! Will see how I feel when I get there.

Happy mothers day to the mummy's amongst you! I sent mine a card and some flowers via interflora, which have arrived safely, and shall speak to her on the phone this evening. Have a good Sunday all!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    • Judi
    • By Judi 11th Mar 18, 1:43 PM
    • 16,249 Posts
    • 71,156 Thanks
    Judi
    Afternoon all,

Just had a text from Holly ....She said she is really struggling with the whole situation and what has happened. she has been really upset this morning and a nurse came to check on her stayed for 5 mins and said she would be back but didnt bother. Maybe she had to get back to her wasp chewing
    Its an awkward situation really, she is upset because she is being held against her will but the more upset she is, the worse they will assess her mental health i'm assuming. However, i dont know how the system works so its a guess really. Holly thinking of you.

Prodigal has his doctors appointment tomorrow, and as much as id like to be there i'm not going. Firstly i am not going to sit there another hour waiting for him not to show up and secondly, its childcare day. It was hard to arrange the first time. He says he is having blackouts but he also said he'd had a paracetamol overdose months back, despite having tests in the hospital, none was found in his system.... i dont know what to think.

Mothers day.... hope your all having a good one. Ive heard from 4 of my 5 'kids' and ive been thoroughly spoiled by Youngest and The Blonde One. Its nice to feel appreciated.

Grump is ill, he was ill when he came back from work on Friday, fine yesterday whilst we were out and now is ill again. I'm not saying he is swinging the lead but he is definately worse when theres nothing decent to watch on telly or he's got nothing to do.

Sorted his Mothers memorial plaque yesterday and gave it a bit of a clean. Went to the garden centre to get some artificial flowers. Didnt get as far as to go to the other crematorium to clean my daughters headstone...To be honest i couldnt face it. It is coming up to her birthday soon and i always struggle round this time of year.

Nelski I am so pleased to hear that your Mum was happy with her gifts.

Onwards and forwards but thinking of all of us who are missing our Mums this Mothers day as they are no longer with us.

have a great day all.
    Last edited by Judi; 11-03-2018 at 1:46 PM.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,127Posts Today

7,835Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin