Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • restless6
    • By restless6 11th Mar 18, 12:24 AM
    • 374Posts
    • 354Thanks
    restless6
    Hows long for Land Registry?
    • 11th Mar 18, 12:24 AM
    Hows long for Land Registry? 11th Mar 18 at 12:24 AM
    Hi
    My house purchase completed on 04/12/2017
    I received a letter from by mortgage provider today to say the solicitor has still not registered the house with the land registry

What should I do ? Or should I just leave it for the solicitor to deal with ?

Thanks
Page 1
    • tealady
    • By tealady 11th Mar 18, 7:45 AM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 3,311 Thanks
    tealady
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:45 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:45 AM
    I would chase the solicitor, they may have overlooked it.
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • Amanda_Cm
    • By Amanda_Cm 11th Mar 18, 9:01 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    Amanda_Cm
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:01 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:01 AM
    Chase the solicitor every dat . It happens. They are human too. Post completion is important!
    • RiversTam
    • By RiversTam 11th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    RiversTam
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    I'm still waiting for ours and we completed September 2017 - when I asked they said the seller delayed in sending something they needed, which delayed in submitting to land registry. Maybe that is what has happened with yours?
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 11th Mar 18, 10:11 AM
    • 7,630 Posts
    • 7,758 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:11 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:11 AM
    Chase the solicitor every dat . It happens. They are human too. Post completion is important!
    Originally posted by Amanda_Cm
    Why on earth would you be chasing them every day (if that's what you meant to write)? After they send the application to the Land Registry (and yes, it's possible, though unlikely, that they've forgotten to do that), it takes whatever the turnaround time is at the Land Registry for that type of transaction. Which could be months, if it e.g. involves a transfer of a plot out of a larger title. And that's not in the solicitor's control.

Not that it matters a great deal, you still own the property (registration is backdated to when the LR received the application).
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    • 44,049 Posts
    • 52,162 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    Originally posted by Amanda_Cm
    If by 'dat' you mean 'day' this is ridiculous advice. A single email or letter - yes, but this could easily be a Land Registry delay.

Have you had confirmation that SDLT has been paid? If not, ask for confirmaion of that in your email too.
    • Sir_Robin
    • By Sir_Robin 11th Mar 18, 12:14 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Sir_Robin
    • 11th Mar 18, 12:14 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 12:14 PM
    Took my solicitor 2 months to send off the paperwork despite weekly chasing and the land registry the full 16 weeks due to a "backlog".

The property purchasing process is a joke in this country how are these people still in business.
    • restless6
    • By restless6 11th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    restless6
    • 11th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    Thanks for the replies
    I will email the solicitor tomorrow

What is SDLT?
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 11th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 3,958 Posts
    • 23,877 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    • 11th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    SDLT is Stamp Duty Land Tax

• happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 11th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    • 1,088 Posts
    • 2,125 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    A colleagues post-divorce registration took over 9 months to be finalised by the LR.
    • 3mph
    • By 3mph 11th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    3mph
    Ring up the Land Registry, they are really helpful, and they will tell what the state of play is as far as they are concerned. There was a 63 working day delay when ours went through end of last year
  • Land Registry
    restless 6 - if your purchase was of a new build for example then the average timescale is just over 3 months for it being registered once we have received it.

If a purchase of an already registered house for example then the average is 8 working days.

Applications are generally submitted wihtin 2-4 weeks of completion but that can stretch to 2 months in some cases or may be done next day in others. All depends on the circumstances and the conveyancer/lender involved

As others have posted the 'delay' in registering does not always impact on you as the owner. If it does, say you want to sell or a mortgage offer is about to expire and the delay is causing a problem then we can expedite the process. Essentially that means shortening the wait tim between receipt and consideration of the application. Everything then depends on it being in order and any checks made reveal a positive outcome

So we do have a backlog of certain types of work such as new build transfers and first registrations/leases. But we have a process for speeding up urgent ones if required and where we can do so.

If your's was a new build purchase and the solicitor lodged it in December say then I would anticipate that it should not be too much longer if all in order
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    • 44,049 Posts
    • 52,162 Thanks
    G_M

What is SDLT?
    Originally posted by restless6
    Stamp Duty Land Tax.

The property cannot be registered by the LR till SDLT has been paid and/or HMRC are satisfied.

Even where no SDLT is payable (eg purchase price below the threshold), a SDLT Form must still be submitted to HMRC. Your conveyancer will (should) do this before registering the property with the LR.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 44,049 Posts
    • 52,162 Thanks
    G_M

What is SDLT?
    Originally posted by restless6
    Stamp Duty Land Tax.

The property cannot be registered by the LR till SDLT has been paid and/or HMRC are satisfied.

Even where no SDLT is payable (eg purchase price below the threshold), a SDLT Form must still be submitted to HMRC. Your conveyancer will (should) do this before registering the property with the LR.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

420Posts Today

4,985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin