Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joemcd
    • By joemcd 10th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    joemcd
    Can my husband apply for Help to Buy on his own?
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    Can my husband apply for Help to Buy on his own? 10th Mar 18 at 9:03 PM
    My husband and I have been renting for a number of years, but obviously it's a bit of a blackhole because the money is going nowhere.

I'm not in a position to be able to buy as I have no savings and quite significant debt. However, we are trying to work out, if he is able to apply for a Help to Buy property in his name only as he has enough savings to get a deposit together. So if on the application he stated his income and then under 'Other Income', he put in the amount of money I would pay him each month towards the monthly mortgage & service charge (which ends up being the same as what I'm paying in rent).

Does anyone know of any reason why this wouldn't be possible? I'd like to be able to get to a position where my debt isn't holding us back, and keeping us in the renting blackhole, as it will be a number of years before this debt will be cleared.

Any insight you can offer would be great.

Thanks, Joe
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 10th Mar 18, 9:20 PM
    • 58,446 Posts
    • 51,815 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:20 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:20 PM
    Does anyone know of any reason why this wouldn't be possible?
    Originally posted by joemcd
    Don't you think that after advancing mortgages for decades that lenders are wish to people attempting to circumnavigate the rules. If it were that easy. Be pointless have lending criteria.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 10th Mar 18, 9:50 PM
    • 9,522 Posts
    • 12,769 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:50 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:50 PM
    If he divorced you things would be much more promising!
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 11th Mar 18, 8:05 AM
    • 33,342 Posts
    • 18,032 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:05 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:05 AM
    Lenders will not take your "income" into account in his affordability, whether that be your actual income, or some notional board payment you've calculated.

However, the HTB Agents do permit you to include 50% of your income in HTB affordability even when you are not actually an applicant for the purchase, mortgage nor HTB Loan.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,002Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin