Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jonnyhere
    • By Jonnyhere 10th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jonnyhere
    Rejecting car ? Please help
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    Rejecting car ? Please help 10th Mar 18 at 8:58 PM
    Hi all a bit if advice please .

So last thursday i went to a used dealer to look for a car , i found one and agreed a deal with px included but wasnt offered a test drive but as the garage had been there years and is quite reputable it didnt bother me too much anyway i went today picked it up dropped my car off and i thought happy days.

Anyway 10 mins later i noticed getting in reverse i noticed it would make a grinding noise everytime you stuck it in reverse so i called the mrs and she said it might be because it been stood i said ok will see how it goes , anyway 5 minutes later i noticed a burning smell and smoke from the engine so i called the dealer he said come back and i will look , he saw the smoke and said its probably from the excess oil from the service filter change , i mentioned the noise in putting in reverse he said ok leave it here and will look monday .

I got a loan car and off i went but now after thinking i dont have any faith in the gears and really want to reject it as if i had been offered a test drive i wouldn't have bought it , can i reject it alone on the grinding noise going in reverse ? That noise should not be there when putting a car in reverse ?

Also i px my old car so how does that work ? The garage does have another car similar to what i need and im tempted to say to him i will swap for that one as i want to be flexible but i just wondered were i stood with rejection etc .

Im adamant i have no faith in the car and want to swap or get a refund but have no idea how to go about it or what happens with my old car i px in the deal

Please help . Thanks
Page 2
    • Jonnyhere
    • By Jonnyhere 11th Mar 18, 7:55 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jonnyhere
    Adrian , out if interest were is this helpful advice ? All i have been told is i should have had a test drive apart from the one person who actually offered some decent advice who i thanked , the rest is just should have had a test drive , thats hardly helpful advice as you put it.

Regarding your other point the dealer has agreed to swap it for another car so happy days , also its not just a case of wanting the dealer to roll over as you put it its simply being protected by the law that a car is sold right not wrong.

Im sure anyone buying a car just wants it right and ready to go , its not exactly wanting too much is it ?

Im aware now that if i wanted too i could reject the car and get a refund as the garage agreed it was faulty as the manager rang me back and said there was a fault and it shouldnt be made ready , he was also aware that i was in my right to get my money back but i agreed to give them another chance subject to a "test drive "
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 11th Mar 18, 9:31 PM
    • 11,118 Posts
    • 7,934 Thanks
    neilmcl
    As for the post below which says i dont have any "comeback" as they put it well it seems i do , after trawling the net it seems i am covered by a law which came in 2015 that protects buyers for problems that shouldnt be on a car on delivery.
    Originally posted by Jonnyhere
    Try quoting me correctly. I was very careful in my post to state
    you don't have a lot of comeback if you don't test drive the car and it has things that are commensurate with it's age/condition that you don't like.
    I'm well versed in the Consumer Rights Act thank you very much having helped many a poster in my time on these forums. You don't seem to be one that requires such help/advice however as you seem to know all the answers already. Glad you got it sorted nonetheless.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 11-03-2018 at 9:33 PM.
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 11th Mar 18, 9:35 PM
    • 4,847 Posts
    • 19,603 Thanks
    Merlin139
    Well it looks like one Sad Fart has found out about:

SAD FART!

and is no longer sad!

Perhaps next time you might do some research before looking for a quick answer without giving all the facts.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 12th Mar 18, 6:11 AM
    • 13,586 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    arcon5
    The simple fact is when you buy a car from a dealer you expect it to be safe and to be fit for purpose.

So yes op does have rights to reject it.

So why some of you posters are being complete arses to op is beyond me.
    • Jonnyhere
    • By Jonnyhere 12th Mar 18, 6:25 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jonnyhere
    Thanks arcon5 , although i admit my mistake to not test drive the car some on here just wanted to play headmaster

Anyway like i say thanks, i realise now like you say i was well in my rights to reject it.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Mar 18, 8:00 AM
    • 17,602 Posts
    • 15,968 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Regarding your other point the dealer has agreed to swap it for another car so happy days
    Originally posted by Jonnyhere
    Great. Then you don't need to resort to consumer legislation, as the supplier has agreed to do that through goodwill.

also its not just a case of wanting the dealer to roll over as you put it its simply being protected by the law that a car is sold right not wrong.
    The legislation has various caveats around used goods (it applies to all consumer transactions, not just cars), including around age, price and apparent condition.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 12th Mar 18, 8:12 AM
    • 13,586 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    arcon5
    Great. Then you don't need to resort to consumer legislation, as the supplier has agreed to do that through goodwill.

The legislation has various caveats around used goods (it applies to all consumer transactions, not just cars), including around age, price and apparent condition.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Aye but that doesn't change the fundamentals. Being if you buy a car it should do what it's intended to do and safely. Unless a different purpose is specified
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 12th Mar 18, 8:13 AM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 2,087 Thanks
    mollycat
    The simple fact is when you buy a car from a dealer you expect it to be safe and to be fit for purpose.

Originally posted by arcon5
    No one ever said that he didn't.

Have you actually read the thread?

OP get's lot's of good advice, (regarding a test drive, amongst other things), then gets shirty and and sarcastic with the people that have tried to help him.

Asking for help then either rejecting it, or being unable to comprehend it isn't the fault of those who contributed.

Anyway, OP has said he will test drive the replacement car; so despite not being gracious enough to appreciate advice given, does look like he has taken it on board.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 12th Mar 18, 9:48 AM
    • 13,586 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    arcon5
    No one ever said that he didn't.

Have you actually read the thread?

OP get's lot's of good advice, (regarding a test drive, amongst other things), then gets shirty and and sarcastic with the people that have tried to help him.

Asking for help then either rejecting it, or being unable to comprehend it isn't the fault of those who contributed.

Anyway, OP has said he will test drive the replacement car; so despite not being gracious enough to appreciate advice given, does look like he has taken it on board.
    Originally posted by mollycat
    Have you read the thread?

Less helpful more judgemental. After all the responses you seriously wonder why op got defensive?

Like misleading comments like this #2

"
    you don't have a lot of comeback if you don't test drive the car

"
    Last edited by arcon5; 12-03-2018 at 9:51 AM.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Mar 18, 9:51 AM
    • 11,118 Posts
    • 7,934 Thanks
    neilmcl

However you can't expect a 10 year old car to be without faults commensurate to it's age/condition and the legislation allows for this.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Mar 18, 9:56 AM
    • 11,118 Posts
    • 7,934 Thanks
    neilmcl

Less helpful more judgemental. After all the responses you seriously wonder why op got defensive?

"

"
    So you're going to follow the OP and take that quote totally out of context. I thought you were better than that.
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 12th Mar 18, 10:19 AM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 2,087 Thanks
    mollycat

"

"

Resentment from OP starts in post #4

Can't see any judgement being made on OP.

Judgemental opinions seem to be from him; referring to "headmasters" and "being back at school", which i read as an assumption of percieved authority/superiority on part of helpful posters. None was intended...(speaking for myself only).

Seems a bit silly not to point out the benefits of properly checking out something you're about to spend a substantial amount of money on...it was fairly obvious the dealer would require to act in some way given the problems reported.

But he knew that anyway.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 12th Mar 18, 10:24 AM
    • 588 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    Who buys a 3K car without first driving it?? anyone else apart from the OP?
    • fred246
    • By fred246 12th Mar 18, 10:29 AM
    • 989 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    fred246
    I love these arguments. If motor traders were honest, qualified, registered professionals you would be able to buy a car from them without a test drive knowing they would have subjected the car to a 200 point safety check and only let the car leave the garage when it was working perfectly.
    People in the know know that they are unqualified, totally dishonest clowns just trying to make as much money as possible.
    The funny but is that when someone like Jonnyhere trusts a motor trader all the motor traders then tell him he is an idiot for trusting them.
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 12th Mar 18, 10:32 AM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 2,087 Thanks
    mollycat
    Who buys a 3K car without first driving it?? anyone else apart from the OP?
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    Who buys any car without first driving it?
    • Jonnyhere
    • By Jonnyhere 12th Mar 18, 10:53 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jonnyhere
    Its all my fault then ed ?

Ok , funny because i never thought buying a car but then finding a fault would turn out to be my fault

Yes i bought a 3k car without a test drive as i trusted the man to be honest which in the end he has been i suppose .

Lesson learned but there is a law for a reason .
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 12th Mar 18, 10:59 AM
    • 13,586 Posts
    • 8,625 Thanks
    arcon5
    However you can't expect a 10 year old car to be without faults commensurate to it's age/condition and the legislation allows for this.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    We're not talking about fair wear and tear though are we. Smoking from the engine bay makes the car not fit for purpose. So the whole point of the law allows for it is moot.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Mar 18, 12:46 PM
    • 17,602 Posts
    • 15,968 Thanks
    AdrianC
    We have no idea what caused the "smoking". It could very well be spillage from clumsy oil-filling post-service, or simply from oily handprints.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

70Posts Today

2,601Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin