Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jonnyhere
    • By Jonnyhere 10th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jonnyhere
    Rejecting car ? Please help
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    Rejecting car ? Please help 10th Mar 18 at 8:58 PM
    Hi all a bit if advice please .

So last thursday i went to a used dealer to look for a car , i found one and agreed a deal with px included but wasnt offered a test drive but as the garage had been there years and is quite reputable it didnt bother me too much anyway i went today picked it up dropped my car off and i thought happy days.

Anyway 10 mins later i noticed getting in reverse i noticed it would make a grinding noise everytime you stuck it in reverse so i called the mrs and she said it might be because it been stood i said ok will see how it goes , anyway 5 minutes later i noticed a burning smell and smoke from the engine so i called the dealer he said come back and i will look , he saw the smoke and said its probably from the excess oil from the service filter change , i mentioned the noise in putting in reverse he said ok leave it here and will look monday .

I got a loan car and off i went but now after thinking i dont have any faith in the gears and really want to reject it as if i had been offered a test drive i wouldn't have bought it , can i reject it alone on the grinding noise going in reverse ? That noise should not be there when putting a car in reverse ?

Also i px my old car so how does that work ? The garage does have another car similar to what i need and im tempted to say to him i will swap for that one as i want to be flexible but i just wondered were i stood with rejection etc .

Im adamant i have no faith in the car and want to swap or get a refund but have no idea how to go about it or what happens with my old car i px in the deal

Please help . Thanks
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 11th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    • 11,088 Posts
    • 7,909 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    How old is the car?

Also, the bit about how you "wasnt offered a test drive", it's entirely your responsibility to ask/insist on test driving the car, it's not down to the dealer to offer. Your choice but you don't have a lot of comeback if you don't test drive the car and it has things that are commensurate with it's age/condition that you don't like.
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 11th Mar 18, 11:15 AM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 2,080 Thanks
    mollycat
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:15 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:15 AM
    Have you bought a car before?

I don't mean to sound unkind but why buy a car you have never driven?

You probably wouldn't now be trying to negotiate a "rejection" if you had.

When people are selling a car they 100% expect prospective buyers to drive it, inspect it with a fine toothcomb and ask tons of questions.

Hope you do this the next car you buy.
    Last edited by mollycat; 11-03-2018 at 11:23 AM.
    • Jonnyhere
    • By Jonnyhere 11th Mar 18, 11:30 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jonnyhere
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:30 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:30 AM
    So after reading a few things and speaking to the dealer they agree the car shouldnt make a noise when being put in reverse .

As for the post below which says i dont have any "comeback" as they put it well it seems i do , after trawling the net it seems i am covered by a law which came in 2015 that protects buyers for problems that shouldnt be on a car on delivery.

As for the 2 replies above i wonder if you bought a car and had smoke and burning smell issues and notice a grind when changing gears as to wether you would just carry on driving on happily on your way home, i came asking for help or advice not i should have taken it for a test drive , yes i agree i was naive but regardless of that if a car has faults it shouldnt be sold like that or if it is it has to be in the description.
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 11th Mar 18, 11:55 AM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 2,080 Thanks
    mollycat
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:55 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:55 AM
    So after reading a few things and speaking to the dealer they agree the car shouldnt make a noise when being put in reverse .

As for the post below which says i dont have any "comeback" as they put it well it seems i do , after trawling the net it seems i am covered by a law which came in 2015 that protects buyers for problems that shouldnt be on a car on delivery.

As for the 2 replies above i wonder if you bought a car and had smoke and burning smell issues and notice a grind when changing gears as to wether you would just carry on driving on happily on your way home, i came asking for help or advice not i should have taken it for a test drive , yes i agree i was naive but regardless of that if a car has faults it shouldnt be sold like that or if it is it has to be in the description.
    Originally posted by Jonnyhere
    I wouldn't have bought the car because I would have driven it and noticed those faults.

With regard to "help or advice", it's there in my post, I can't help it if you don't recognise it as such.

If you get a refund or repair I'm glad for you.

You can avoid all the hassle you've had by being more sensible next time.
    • Jonnyhere
    • By Jonnyhere 11th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jonnyhere
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    The smoke and smell would be unlikely be there on a quick test drive as this only started after 20 mins or so .

That was the main issue that made me return it tbh

Anyway thanks
    • Wig
    • By Wig 11th Mar 18, 12:12 PM
    • 13,639 Posts
    • 7,360 Thanks
    Wig
    • 11th Mar 18, 12:12 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 12:12 PM
    I am too long out of the game and not up to speed with any new legislation on rejection...so no advice there... but as neilmcl says it is what you would expect from a car of that age that counts...
    And as you have said -no doubt after doing some net trawling- it may also be very relevant if the serious fault is there on delivery.

So if you are thinking of rejection.... the sooner you talk to the dealer about it the better, as he probably still has your old car, a gentlemans agreement to just swap cars and ownership back again to put you in the position you were in before could be done quite easily as long he is in agreement.

And by the way, if they did spill some oil on the engine (as happens) then yes he could very well be right that the smoke you got was just burning engine oil, which will go away very quickly.

The gear box could just be the gear linkage needs changing or adjusting.
    Last edited by Wig; 11-03-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    • Jonnyhere
    • By Jonnyhere 11th Mar 18, 4:21 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jonnyhere
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:21 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:21 PM
    Thanks wig , after speaking to the dealer today he is getting the car looked at tomorrow first thing and assures me it would be sorted if any issue found.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Mar 18, 4:47 PM
    • 17,598 Posts
    • 15,950 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:47 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:47 PM
    The smoke and smell would be unlikely be there on a quick test drive as this only started after 20 mins or so
    Yep. And any substantively useful test drive would have been at least that long. Mind you, the graunching into reverse would have meant I'd not even have left the forecourt in that car...

You don't seem to have answered how old this car is, and how much you paid for it. Your consumer rights are massively different for a £1k shed to a 1yo car.
    • Jonnyhere
    • By Jonnyhere 11th Mar 18, 5:42 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jonnyhere
    3 grand 07 plate.
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 11th Mar 18, 5:53 PM
    • 4,829 Posts
    • 19,549 Thanks
    Merlin139
    3 grand 07 plate.
    How many miles? Does it have a full service history? What make and model?

For something that old I would have wanted to be spending at least 30 minutes test driving it. Also doing it somewhere you could go up and down the gears and cruising around at the national speed limit. I notice that you did spend sometime on the internet looking to see what your rights are but not testing the car out.

As said by others you would have saved yourself the problem if you invested time in a test drive.
    • Jonnyhere
    • By Jonnyhere 11th Mar 18, 6:04 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jonnyhere
    Yes merlin i think by now along with the other posts we have covered the "should have had a test drive " bit by now hey.

Didnt realise it was like being back at school on here but hey ho coming for advice and being told the same old chestnut over and over again i thought we might have moved on from that bit by now.

Obviously after the problems i did some internet work looking at my rights etc, seems i might just move on from on this forum as maybe i was asking for help in the wrong place with just getting told why didnt i do a test drive , anyway and like i say the garage are happy to help but thanks for anybody who offered "helpful" advice.

Goodbye.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Mar 18, 6:27 PM
    • 17,598 Posts
    • 15,950 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Didnt realise it was like being back at school on here but hey ho coming for advice and being told the same old chestnut over and over again i thought we might have moved on from that bit by now.
    Sorry, but there's a heavy onus on the buyer to do research BEFORE sale. Consumer rights legislation is not a substitute for that.
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 11th Mar 18, 6:41 PM
    • 2,253 Posts
    • 3,730 Thanks
    k3lvc
    Sorry, but there's a heavy onus on the buyer to do research BEFORE sale. Consumer rights legislation is not a substitute for that.
    Originally posted by AdrianC

But for the OP it is - his web-trawling tells him so
    • Jonnyhere
    • By Jonnyhere 11th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jonnyhere
    Yes and the law that came in october 2015 to protect things like this and people like me tells me so too ..

• mollycat
    • By mollycat 11th Mar 18, 7:09 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 2,080 Thanks
    mollycat
    Yes and the law that came in october 2015 to protect things like this and people like me tells me so too ..

People that spend £3K on an 11 year old car without thinking to give it a spin first.

I think the good advice you've had here may have gone over your head....pity!
    • Jonnyhere
    • By Jonnyhere 11th Mar 18, 7:17 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jonnyhere
    Turned out to have cheered me up this , i mean i should be the one upset and bitter but plenty on here doing it for me

Good advice gone over my head the cat says, "should have had a test drive mate "
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 11th Mar 18, 7:27 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 2,080 Thanks
    mollycat
    Turned out to have cheered me up this , i mean i should be the one upset and bitter but plenty on here doing it for me

Good advice gone over my head the cat says, "should have had a test drive mate "

Glad you're cheered up!

What did that, the dealer telling you he would get your car "looked at" tommorrow?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Mar 18, 7:43 PM
    • 17,598 Posts
    • 15,950 Thanks
    AdrianC
    <sigh> Is it half-term already? So many people who's reaction to helpful advice that doesn't 100% suit their preference is to go on the attack.

Oh, well.

FWIW, there's every chance these really are very minor issues, but good luck taking it to court if the supplier doesn't just roll over. BTW, don't forget to put the car outside your use, by physically returning it, as soon as you request the refund.
    • Jonnyhere
    • By Jonnyhere 11th Mar 18, 7:43 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jonnyhere
    Nope the fact he has agreed to swap it for another model subject to a "test drive"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,305Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin