Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MenInBlack
    • By MenInBlack 10th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 2Thanks
    MenInBlack
    Talktalk broadband and line rental any good?
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    Talktalk broadband and line rental any good? 10th Mar 18 at 8:45 PM
    Hi peeps

I am looking at changing my phone and broadband provider from BT to talktalk. The reason is my bill has come to 45 going to 49 next month. I have found a good deal with talktalk for 27.50 for both line rental and broadband but don't know if the line rental and broadband are any good?

I could renew my contract with BT and I am looking at paying 36 for a 18 month contract. I found another deal with talk talk for the same price BT are offering me if I renew with them but I can get added extras with talk talk.

Any advice would be appreciated
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 10th Mar 18, 10:17 PM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 760 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:17 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:17 PM
    Line Rental is line rental, the 27.50 is an all-in price for line rental and broadband. experience wise, I never had a problem when I was with them but likewise you'll find many people who did and many other people who didn't have any issues.

If you want to stay with BT you could always haggle and see if they can at least try to match the TalkTalk deal? It depends on whether you'd use the extras that TalkTalk offer.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 10th Mar 18, 11:08 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:08 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:08 PM
    Who will you use for calls?

TalkTalk, like BT, offers inclusive call plans. The equivalent Anytime call plan offered by TalkTalk is much the same monthly price as BT, but it includes calls to mobile numbers (whereas BT does not), and it does NOT include calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers (whereas BT does still include them).

All call plans always include calls to 01, 02 and 03 numbers. Calls to 080 numbers are free.
    • Nicfaz92
    • By Nicfaz92 10th Mar 18, 11:49 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Nicfaz92
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:49 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:49 PM
    I'm currently with TalkTalk and I pay 20 for line rental and broadband.

I don't use the landline at all so can't comment there however other than having to switch the router off and on again due to drop in wifi a couple of times I have experienced no other problems.
    • MalMonroe
    • By MalMonroe 11th Mar 18, 12:33 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    MalMonroe
    • 11th Mar 18, 12:33 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 12:33 AM
    I'd phone and haggle with BT. In my experience, they are far superior to TalkTalk in terms of continuity of broadband. It's not all about saving money if you're keen on a good connection. If it doesn't matter to you then do transfer to the cheapest but I stay with BT because they're the best of a bad bunch really. With BT we have landline, broadband and TV for 42.50pcm. If you phone BT and tell them you're not happy with the cost and you want a good deal, they will negotiate with you. We haven't, in the past five years, had any drop at all in wi-fi. You could even try Plusnet, which I have heard is owned by BT anyway but is cheaper.
    • editor1
    • By editor1 11th Mar 18, 3:50 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    editor1
    • 11th Mar 18, 3:50 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 3:50 AM
    MenInBlack,

My advice is simple, best deal available is Sky BB and phone calls if looking for ASDL2, you have 80 cash back from Quidco & a 75 Mastercard credit with Sky for a 18 month contract. Anytime Talk Extra is an additional 8 per month. Sky are on Par with PlusNet and superior to Talktalk in many, many ways. I'm presently paying 16.99 a month for my contract, others have gotten the same package for 11 quid - Sky have put an halt to this. If you can get Line Rental, BB and Anytime calls for less than 17 a month, go for it.
    • JEN22
    • By JEN22 11th Mar 18, 4:38 AM
    • 425 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    JEN22
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:38 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:38 AM
    Talktalk are awful
    • LesU
    • By LesU 11th Mar 18, 9:52 AM
    • 336 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    LesU
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:52 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:52 AM
    They are awful, unless like me you have been with them for years, never experienced a drop out, saved hundreds of pounds over the rivals, used the free bundled SIM with free monthly minutes and data, not had to worry about price rises in the pipeline because the price is fixed for 18 months.
    I don't see how anyone can comment on the quality of the broadband supply. Surely that will be down to whatever exchange you are personally connected to.
    Before I went over to fibre TalkTalk had installed their own LLU equipment in our local exchange. The speeds went up by 20% compared with the previous BT controlled service.
    Customer service is admittedly a bit flaky(offshore personnel only), but as I've only had to ring them twice in 5 years(issue resolved both times), for me it's not a big deal. In the past I've used the forums where there are some very helpful locally based staff.
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 11th Mar 18, 6:52 PM
    • 4,326 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:52 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:52 PM
    I have thought about leaving TalkTalk many times, particularly in view of several data breaches and the persistent 'TalkTalk' scammers. I love all the freebies which TalkTalk keep adding - the latest is CallSafe which blocks or filters calls at the network level and which I enabled today. - finally ditching my trueCall unit.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 11th Mar 18, 9:44 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    Ian011
    TalkTalk's "Call Safe" and Sky's "Sky Shield" appear to offer much the same functionality as a trueCall box or trueCall enabled handsets but with the added advantage of being built into the telephone network itself and hence requiring no additional hardware in the customer's premises. This is the way that robust call-filtering and call-blocking may yet appear on mobile networks.

I hope you passed your old trueCall unit onto someone vulnerable or in need or otherwise sold it on.
    Last edited by Ian011; 11-03-2018 at 9:48 PM.
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 11th Mar 18, 10:14 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    anactuary
    Plusnet has a cheaper deal (works out at 12.33 for phone & broadband) and gets much better reviews. I had no problems with Plusnet but had lots of problems with TalkTalk, and am with Sky currently with no issues.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband#plusnetbb
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 11th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    • 4,326 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    TalkTalk's "Call Safe" and Sky's "Sky Shield" appear to offer much the same functionality as a trueCall box or trueCall enabled handsets but with the added advantage of being built into the telephone network itself and hence requiring no additional hardware in the customer's premises. This is the way that robust call-filtering and call-blocking may yet appear on mobile networks.

I hope you passed your old trueCall unit onto someone vulnerable or in need or otherwise sold it on.
    Originally posted by Ian011
    When trueCall launched some years ago I sung its praises but there was one very vocal forumite who disliked the system because it did not operate at the network level. It was a silly argument at the time because no provider was offering network filtering of scam calls at the time.

Now that network filtering and blocking has become a reality and at zero cost, trueCall will become less useful with time but I think I will be holding onto my unit for now as I had some limited input into the design of trueCall for Steve Smith and actually suggested he should go onto Dragon's Den.

I am not sure if he was following my suggestion but when he rang me to say he would be appearing I watched the show - all the 'dragons' were falling over themselves to get involved. Steve accepted Peter Jones' offer on the show but the deal fell through later because Peter Jones wanted too much control.

Incidentally, Trevor Bayliss (inventor of wind-up radio) was also an avid supporter of trueCall - sadly he died a few days ago.
    • editor1
    • By editor1 12th Mar 18, 5:18 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    editor1
    Plusnet has a cheaper deal (works out at 12.33 for phone & broadband) and gets much better reviews. I had no problems with Plusnet but had lots of problems with TalkTalk, and am with Sky currently with no issues.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband#plusnetbb
    Originally posted by anactuary
    If you are with Sky, and have received notification of Broadband and phone call increases, you can either switch, or renegotiate your contract - many managed to get BB&phone for 8.99 a month - I'm paying 16.99 a month as failed to get Anytime Talk for 2 quid per month - my folks are happy with 16.99, which means I'm happy with it too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,217Posts Today

8,439Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin