Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PositivelyPerturbed
    • By PositivelyPerturbed 10th Mar 18, 7:47 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 36Thanks
    PositivelyPerturbed
    Miserable first time buyer with buyers remorse
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:47 PM
    Miserable first time buyer with buyers remorse 10th Mar 18 at 7:47 PM
    Spent all afternoon making myself ill and crying which is totally counter productive so figured I'd come onto here for some guidance and proactive words instead.
    My husband and I scrimped and saved to buy our first house. We had no help from anyone and we have rented and lived in many hovels and dumps over the years. We moved to a much cheaper area and bought a fixed upper. We got it for a decent price and viewed it twice. It backs onto the A470 motorway in Wales. We have lived in busy city centres and by main roads before so we are not hypersensitive to noise. We have lived here for a week and had double glazing installed before we moved in. However, I am finding it insufferable and miserable living here as we failed to hear or notice the damn cattle grid that is about 30ft from the back of our house and making a heck of a racquet day and night :-( I feel ill just being here. I am already looking at secondary glazing as a matter of urgency and my husband is going to cement all around the new windows internally tomorrow instead of the expanding foam. I feel like we have made the most expensive mistake of our lives though.
Page 4
    • victoriavictorious
    • By victoriavictorious 11th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    victoriavictorious
    It's a good question

3.1 doesn't specifically ask about distress or annoyances though. Because it's so broad, I think it's interpretation is easy to misconstrue and later claim innocence.

Also, a buyer could not claim that the noise had been hidden during their inspection or other visits to the area, like a physical fault might be, as the use of the grid is beyond anyone's control.

Lastly, data protection protocols mean that only a legally entitled person with good reason would ever discover whether an 'enquiry' about the grid had been made. I sincerely doubt that a mis-selling court case would ever based on something like this.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    It's a basis for an interesting discussion.
    (Bit in bold) - could surely also apply to a situation with a noisy neighbour, eg loud music or a barking dog etc, that is also beyond everyones control except for - um - said noisy neighbour or dog, but still does have to be declared on the TA6? (Although I know that's a different question.) I believe there may have been at least one successful lawsuit whereby a buyer has based their case on the undeclared noise or nuisance that the vendor *must* have been aware of but had deliberately withheld?
    Last edited by victoriavictorious; 11-03-2018 at 10:28 PM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Mar 18, 7:36 AM
    • 25,304 Posts
    • 93,042 Thanks
    Davesnave
    It's a basis for an interesting discussion.
    (Bit in bold) - could surely also apply to a situation with a noisy neighbour, eg loud music or a barking dog etc, that is also beyond everyones control except for - um - said noisy neighbour or dog, but still does have to be declared on the TA6? (Although I know that's a different question.) I believe there may have been at least one successful lawsuit whereby a buyer has based their case on the undeclared noise or nuisance that the vendor *must* have been aware of but had deliberately withheld?
    Originally posted by victoriavictorious
    I think complaints about a noisy neighbour/continually barking dog/very antisocial teenagers congregating outside resulting in police/local authority action is in an entirely different category from the short thrum of a vehicle passing over a cattle grid, especially when there is much noise already from a trunk road.

There's no harm IMO in asking the local authority if it's possible to reduce the noise. That's an enquiry, not about another property, but a simple question about a piece of street furniture.

Of course, Highways budgets are much constrained. When we 'enquired' about the huge puddle of standing water outside our property we had to keep 'enquiring' for 4 years before action was taken. That's what the council surveyor told us to do: "You have to become the biggest pain in the a___ to get to the top of the list!"

So, according to locals, after two decades, our standing water vanished when the council discovered they'd tarmacked-over two of their own drains.

If we'd sold during those 4 years of 'advising' the council, I doubt very much if we'd have linked that to 3.1 on the TA6 at all. It was just an irritation that didn't bother us that much, compared with other matters which we would have listed....carefully worded!
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 12th Mar 18, 3:49 PM
    • 6,124 Posts
    • 2,359 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Sell it and buy something else, or just rent for a while to get used to areas, the stress doesn`t sound worth it to me.
    • scriv
    • By scriv 16th Mar 18, 5:21 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    scriv
    I live near the main line trainline to London and got used to it very quickly and don't hear it anymore after being very aware of it at first. Do give it a chance.

I tend to have a disturbed sleep at Christmas time though when the trains aren't running as it is so unbelievably quiet!!
    • PositivelyPerturbed
    • By PositivelyPerturbed 17th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    PositivelyPerturbed
    Thank you all for the comments and stories, I am feeling much better, and decidedly more positive this week. Not quite used to it yet but definitely becoming more bearable!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

919Posts Today

6,784Users online

Martin's Twitter