Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tranquil
    • By Tranquil 10th Mar 18, 7:34 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 19Thanks
    Tranquil
    0 WOW
    Passport Question
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:34 PM
    0 WOW
    Passport Question 10th Mar 18 at 7:34 PM
    Hello,
    I have recently renewed my passport online and I am required to send my old passport to the Passport Office.
    I am wondering, shall I make a small cut on the front cover or some of the pages in case it gets lost in the post on the way there so it cannot be used? Or am I being paranoid?!
    As I am trying to save money, do most people post their passport back standard delivery or is it advised to used a signed-for service?
    Thank you!
Page 1
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 10th Mar 18, 8:37 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:37 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:37 PM
    I think you are being slightly paranoid. I just send it standard postage and ask for proof of postage.

I would not make a cut or deface the passport in any way. They will return it to you with the corner cut though if I remember.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 10th Mar 18, 10:51 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:51 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:51 PM
    Not sure how it works for a still valid passport - but when my father passed away the passport office asked for his passport with a triangular corner cut away from the page with holder's details.

Just used ordinary mail.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 12th Mar 18, 4:41 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:41 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:41 PM
    Not sure how it works for a still valid passport - but when my father passed away the passport office asked for his passport with a triangular corner cut away from the page with holder's details.

Just used ordinary mail.
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan
    Was this not because it was still a current passport?
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 14th Mar 18, 9:15 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:15 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:15 AM
    Was this not because it was still a current passport?
    Correct, apologies, badly worded - easily misconstrued.

Obviously a passport becomes invalid when the holder passes away, however it has to be rendered null and void by the authorities.
    • smudge56
    • By smudge56 17th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    smudge56
    • 17th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 17th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    Hello,
    I have recently renewed my passport online and I am required to send my old passport to the Passport Office.
    I am wondering, shall I make a small cut on the front cover or some of the pages in case it gets lost in the post on the way there so it cannot be used? Or am I being paranoid?!
    As I am trying to save money, do most people post their passport back standard delivery or is it advised to used a signed-for service?
    Thank you!
    Originally posted by Tranquil
    No donít cut it as the passport office will deem it damaged if you do.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

44Posts Today

3,103Users online

Martin's Twitter