Washer Leaking. What does THIS part do pls?

Options

Comments

• LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There should be a somewhat curved plastic basket affair behind it, wich is the actual filter (if its anything like our last washing machine). Used to spread water about if you unscrewed the bit in your photo, so probably its black washer bit is the problem as said above. Otherwise it sounds as if there may have been some corrosion behind it that's letting water through.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    First off, when you say "I have had this washer for ages, but......." I assume you mean washing machine, not 'washer'. A washer is something different. it's the black rubber bit on the part you've removed.

What you've unscrewed and removed is the filter. You should be taking it out every 6 months or so to clean it anyway. That's why it's there! When you unscrew it, some water will always come out for a short while, so put a tray or cloth beneath it.

If the fliter is leaking during/after every wash, either it's not screwed in tight, or the seal has gone. Either
    a) tighten it (with/without oil)
    b) replace it, or
    c) replace the washer (the black rubber bit - not the washing machine!)
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Put olive oil on it? That will get pumped around the wash cycle now..
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• RealGem
    RealGem Posts: 569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Put olive oil on it? That will get pumped around the wash cycle now..

Oh I see, thanks. Someone said put vegetable oil on it, but I only had oilive oil.

I only put a bit on though.

I'll wash the filter again before I use the washing machine.

cheers
    Look at it this way... In a hundred years who's gonna care?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    RealGem wrote: »
    Oh I see, thanks. Someone said put vegetable oil on it, but I only had oilive oil.

I only put a bit on though.

I'll wash the filter again before I use the washing machine.

cheers

I think they were being humorous, you just need a bit on the mating surfaces.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    And make sure you tighten it properly.........
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    edited 11 March 2018 at 12:07PM
    Options
    BigAl94 wrote: »
    Clean it then smear with vegetable oil and tighten - might be ok
    or dishwashing liquid. Do not use Vaseline, or other petrolium products

While it is open, put your finger in there and have a prod around for socks, small, pens and money etc. My friends Hotpoint had a reputation for regularly eating smalls and blocking up.

Possibly buy a new seal, as suggested. I would buy a new seal.

Expect water to come out when opening. A roasting dish in conjuntion with a bucket often works. As you have found out there are multiple pints in there, so open gingerley in stages as not to flood.

These days with majority of stuff being made with man made fibres, the machines block way less
  • RealGem
    Options
    that wrote: »
    or dishwashing liquid. Do not use Vaseline, or other petrolium products

While it is open, put your finger in there and have a prod around for socks, small, pens and money etc. My friends Hotpoint had a reputation for regularly eating smalls and blocking up.

Possibly buy a new seal, as suggested. I would buy a new seal.

Expect water to come out when opening. A roasting dish in conjuntion with a bucket often works. As you have found out there are multiple pints in there, so open gingerley in stages as not to flood.

These days with majority of stuff being made with man made fibres, the machines block way less

I can't put anything under it, as the machine is about 1cm from the floor. I will try and make something out of an ice cream tub or something.

There is nothing blocking it so far. I do know there's a bra wire in the machine somewhere though! Dunno if that's related, but it's not where the filter is.

In an previous machine a bra wire poked through the drum and pulled holes in stretchy clothes. But as this one doesn't damage clothes yet, I'm using it til it konks out.

I will buy a new seal, thanks everyone. Much appreciated :)
  • RealGem
    Options
    G_M wrote: »

Thanks, I just watched that video. Mine doesn't have a drain hose. I suppose trying to shove one in will be futile, as I won't be able to attach it to the pump from the outside.

Thanks though. I will open it again and have a more thorough poking around!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure