Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RealGem
    • By RealGem 10th Mar 18, 5:42 PM
    • 264Posts
    • 118Thanks
    RealGem
    Washer Leaking. What does THIS part do pls?
    • 10th Mar 18, 5:42 PM
    Washer Leaking. What does THIS part do pls? 10th Mar 18 at 5:42 PM
    Hi,

I have had this washer for ages, but lately it leaks at the end of every wash. It's not the door that's leaking, as I first thought.

It's this part that is leaking. It fits into a black hole at the bottom of the washer's front, behind a removable panel (see pics).

It looks to me like it should be a filter or fluff collecting *thing*!

But I don't know how, as it doesn't have any filter-type cover on it. Should it have a cover on it?

Anyway, when I twist this open, more water pours out, and I have to put loads of newspapaer down.

I cannot afford a new washer, or for it to be fixed. I am broke. But I can keep putting newspaper down for now.

I'm just curious as to what this item is supposed to do.

And why has it only started leaking recently?

Any advice is welcome

Thank you
    People only get upset
    when their expectations are not met.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 10th Mar 18, 5:51 PM
    • 33,057 Posts
    • 38,625 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 10th Mar 18, 5:51 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 5:51 PM
    It's the filter

Clean the black ring seal and retighten

The washer can be replaced , suspect quite cheaply
    Last edited by Browntoa; 10-03-2018 at 5:55 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • BigAl94
    • By BigAl94 10th Mar 18, 5:58 PM
    • 1,632 Posts
    • 893 Thanks
    BigAl94
    • 10th Mar 18, 5:58 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 5:58 PM
    Clean it then smear with vegetable oil and tighten - might be ok
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 10th Mar 18, 6:00 PM
    • 33,057 Posts
    • 38,625 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:00 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:00 PM
    Checked on eBay , you can get a replacement unit for about £7 for most machines
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • RealGem
    • By RealGem 10th Mar 18, 6:34 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    RealGem
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:34 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:34 PM
    OK thanks a lot guys,

I just cleaned it, put olive oil on it, and retightened it.

Fingers crossed!

If not, I will replace the filter, thanks.

It's the filter

Clean the black ring seal and retighten

The washer can be replaced , suspect quite cheaply
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    When you say the washer can be replaced, do you mean Washing Machine or little rubber washer?!

I can't afford the former!
    People only get upset
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 10th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    • 33,057 Posts
    • 38,625 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    The washer , but probably easier to get whole unit
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 10th Mar 18, 7:22 PM
    • 6,621 Posts
    • 5,127 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:22 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:22 PM
    There should be a screw to secure it into the pump, is it there?
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 10th Mar 18, 7:25 PM
    • 10,969 Posts
    • 7,782 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:25 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:25 PM
    On my Bosch there's a little hose thing near the filter that you pull out and empty the excess water into a container before opening the filter, does yours not have something similar?

There could well be a blockage somewhere that's preventing the water to flow through and until you fix that then no matter what you do you will get a build up and leaking from the filter. What make/model of washing machine is it?
    • RealGem
    • By RealGem 10th Mar 18, 7:49 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    RealGem
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:49 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:49 PM
    There should be a screw to secure it into the pump, is it there?
    Originally posted by ohreally
    The only screw I can see is the one shown on the middle picture above. It only secures the front to the back of the filter.

I tried unscrewing the screw it to find out what it was for, and when I took the screw out, it was bent. I straightened it out with pliers, a hammer and a strong surface, but I still don't understand how the filter works.

Where is the pump?

Thanks

On my Bosch there's a little hose thing near the filter that you pull out and empty the excess water into a container before opening the filter, does yours not have something similar?

There could well be a blockage somewhere that's preventing the water to flow through and until you fix that then no matter what you do you will get a build up and leaking from the filter. What make/model of washing machine is it?
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    I can't see a hose. I will find out the model.

Thank you
    People only get upset
    • RealGem
    • By RealGem 10th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    RealGem
    It's a Hoover PE235

http://service.hoover.co.uk/manuals/archived/pe235.pdf

I found this manual but it only says about cleaning the filter the same as people have said to in this thread. I searched for hose and pump in the PDF, but it didn't have any further info.

thanks
    People only get upset
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 10th Mar 18, 9:47 PM
    • 10,118 Posts
    • 7,577 Thanks
    GunJack
    the other thing worth trying is to do an empty hot (90degree) wash with a couple of calgon tabs in it, and do it every week for a few weeks. This will help flush out some blockages and de-scale the inside of the machine a bit. This should lead to less water sitting in the machine and ,make it easier for the pump to pump the water out.

If it's any consolation we had something similar on our previous machine, and it was the rubber washer on the filter that was worn.
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • LHW99
    • By LHW99 10th Mar 18, 10:09 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 1,180 Thanks
    LHW99
    There should be a somewhat curved plastic basket affair behind it, wich is the actual filter (if its anything like our last washing machine). Used to spread water about if you unscrewed the bit in your photo, so probably its black washer bit is the problem as said above. Otherwise it sounds as if there may have been some corrosion behind it that's letting water through.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Mar 18, 11:34 PM
    • 44,106 Posts
    • 52,282 Thanks
    G_M
    First off, when you say "I have had this washer for ages, but......." I assume you mean washing machine, not 'washer'. A washer is something different. it's the black rubber bit on the part you've removed.

What you've unscrewed and removed is the filter. You should be taking it out every 6 months or so to clean it anyway. That's why it's there! When you unscrew it, some water will always come out for a short while, so put a tray or cloth beneath it.

If the fliter is leaking during/after every wash, either it's not screwed in tight, or the seal has gone. Either
    a) tighten it (with/without oil)
    b) replace it, or
    c) replace the washer (the black rubber bit - not the washing machine!)
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Mar 18, 12:31 AM
    • 26,964 Posts
    • 10,862 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Put olive oil on it? That will get pumped around the wash cycle now..
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • RealGem
    • By RealGem 11th Mar 18, 12:35 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    RealGem
    Put olive oil on it? That will get pumped around the wash cycle now..
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Oh I see, thanks. Someone said put vegetable oil on it, but I only had oilive oil.

I only put a bit on though.

I'll wash the filter again before I use the washing machine.

cheers
    People only get upset
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 11th Mar 18, 8:11 AM
    • 2,101 Posts
    • 957 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Oh I see, thanks. Someone said put vegetable oil on it, but I only had oilive oil.

I only put a bit on though.

I'll wash the filter again before I use the washing machine.

cheers
    Originally posted by RealGem
    I think they were being humorous, you just need a bit on the mating surfaces.
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 11th Mar 18, 8:51 AM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 904 Thanks
    firefox1956
    And make sure you tighten it properly.........
    • that
    • By that 11th Mar 18, 11:05 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    that
    Clean it then smear with vegetable oil and tighten - might be ok
    Originally posted by BigAl94
    or dishwashing liquid. Do not use Vaseline, or other petrolium products

While it is open, put your finger in there and have a prod around for socks, small, pens and money etc. My friends Hotpoint had a reputation for regularly eating smalls and blocking up.

Possibly buy a new seal, as suggested. I would buy a new seal.

Expect water to come out when opening. A roasting dish in conjuntion with a bucket often works. As you have found out there are multiple pints in there, so open gingerley in stages as not to flood.

These days with majority of stuff being made with man made fibres, the machines block way less
    Last edited by that; 11-03-2018 at 11:07 AM.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    • 44,106 Posts
    • 52,282 Thanks
    G_M
    See

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmvr4Xn2W1w
    • RealGem
    • By RealGem 11th Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    RealGem
    or dishwashing liquid. Do not use Vaseline, or other petrolium products

While it is open, put your finger in there and have a prod around for socks, small, pens and money etc. My friends Hotpoint had a reputation for regularly eating smalls and blocking up.

Possibly buy a new seal, as suggested. I would buy a new seal.

Expect water to come out when opening. A roasting dish in conjuntion with a bucket often works. As you have found out there are multiple pints in there, so open gingerley in stages as not to flood.

These days with majority of stuff being made with man made fibres, the machines block way less
    Originally posted by that

I can't put anything under it, as the machine is about 1cm from the floor. I will try and make something out of an ice cream tub or something.

There is nothing blocking it so far. I do know there's a bra wire in the machine somewhere though! Dunno if that's related, but it's not where the filter is.

In an previous machine a bra wire poked through the drum and pulled holes in stretchy clothes. But as this one doesn't damage clothes yet, I'm using it til it konks out.

I will buy a new seal, thanks everyone. Much appreciated
    People only get upset
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

1,879Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin