Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ChannelZero
    • By ChannelZero 10th Mar 18, 5:05 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ChannelZero
    Mature student at Open Uni
    • 10th Mar 18, 5:05 PM
    Mature student at Open Uni 10th Mar 18 at 5:05 PM
    Hello,

Ive just started a course with the Open Uni. Im 34, and I am retraining in 1 of the STEM fields.

I quit full time work because they would not allow me to reduce my hours to part-time so, although I am currently not working, I will be getting a part time job very soon.

I obviously have to buy laptop, software etc for the course, I also have 3 children to take care of.

Is there any advice others in my position could offer about grants/funds/entitlements that may be available to me?

Many thanks
    Last edited by ChannelZero; 10-03-2018 at 5:09 PM.
Page 1
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 14th Mar 18, 9:20 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 671 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:20 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:20 PM
    OU courses are designed to be done part time whilst working full time. Why did you quit your job? You!!!8217;ll only get the loan to pay for the course as I don!!!8217;t think student loans cover living costs for OU as it!!!8217;s classed as part time.
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 14th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 2,203 Posts
    • 1,176 Thanks
    Ed-1
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    OU courses are designed to be done part time whilst working full time. Why did you quit your job? You!!!8217;ll only get the loan to pay for the course as I don!!!8217;t think student loans cover living costs for OU as it!!!8217;s classed as part time.
    Originally posted by WibblyGirly
    Part-time maintenance loans for distance learning will be available from September 2019 (for courses starting from then onwards).
    • jrtfan
    • By jrtfan 15th Mar 18, 10:34 AM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 1,683 Thanks
    jrtfan
    • 15th Mar 18, 10:34 AM
    • 15th Mar 18, 10:34 AM
    OP (welcome, by the way!), have a read through the following link. It explains how eligible students with an academic email address can get free access to the Microsoft Office Suite, which might take care of some of your software requirements:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/free-office-software

The OU has started rolling out Office 365 and I believe they will be messaging eligible students and inviting them to create their own OU email account through this. They say they'll be doing this throughout March, so if you're eligible then you should be hearing from them soon.

There is also information about any software downloads and discounts available to OU students if you look on Software Download Links (on the left-hand side of your Student Home page, in the panel entitled Links).

You might be able to apply for funding from the OU Students Education Trust if you're eligible, although I think the deadline dates for applications are very specific and you'd need to move quickly, in order to have the funding in place before your module(s) begin. I've only ever read about this, not investigated it myself, so I don't know any details of what's involved or what's covered. There is some information about it on OU Student Association (still in the Links panel on Student Home), under the Support tab.

The Student Association Forums would be a good place to post your enquiry, too. There are bound to be people who are/were in a similar position to you and who will be able to offer you some solid advice on what could be available for you.

I finished my OU qualification last year and am taking a year off, to decide which direction to go in next. Studying with the OU can be hard work sometimes but it's worth it in the end, and there is so much support available both on your module site and from the wider OU community. I wish you good luck with your own studies and hope you enjoy them.
    Last edited by jrtfan; 16-03-2018 at 1:43 AM. Reason: to add a welcome
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

441Posts Today

5,573Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin