Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • webbhost
    • By webbhost 10th Mar 18, 4:58 PM
    • 97Posts
    • 22Thanks
    webbhost
    car part supplied in April 2016 is wrong spec
    • 10th Mar 18, 4:58 PM
    car part supplied in April 2016 is wrong spec 10th Mar 18 at 4:58 PM
    Hi All,

I have a jaguar x-type. I purchased 2 x new lower control arms for it 2 years ago (April 2016). It has just come to light that the part I was supplied by my local autoparts place was NOT the correct part and was in fact designed for a ford mondeo - and listed as their system as compatible with a jaguar x-type.

The dimensions of these arms are different and the result has been that unbeknown to me, both of my back wheels have had a negative camber and it has ruined 2 x 100 tyres that were also fitted 2 years ago at about the same time.

This seems to be a widespread issue of these incorrect parts being sold to jaguar x-type dealers so I have just e-mailed trading standards for advice as frankly I feel a recall is needed... the parts are going to ruin peoples tyres and be potentially dangerous due to reduced road traction and chance of a blow-out.

I am going to take the supplied part - AND an original jaguar part to the parts supplier next week to show them the difference of the 2 parts and therefore prove that the part they supplied was faulty at the time of purchase and not fit for purpose.

Can anyone tell me where I stand legally with this? With it being purchased in April 16:

1) Can I still demand a refund with it being 1 year and 11 months ago - under the argument that the part was faulty when supplied.

2) Can I claim compensation from them for the damaged tyres that would have lasted another 2-3 years if they had supplied the correct part?

Thanks - Pictures can be supplied if requested.. trying to find my cables to upload pics to PC
Page 1
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 10th Mar 18, 6:54 PM
    • 12,289 Posts
    • 9,629 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:54 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:54 PM
    Can anyone tell me where I stand legally with this? With it being purchased in April 16:

1) Can I still demand a refund with it being 1 year and 11 months ago - under the argument that the part was faulty when supplied.

2) Can I claim compensation from them for the damaged tyres that would have lasted another 2-3 years if they had supplied the correct part?

Thanks - Pictures can be supplied if requested.. trying to find my cables to upload pics to PC
    Originally posted by webbhost
    1) No, you'd be required to give them an opportunity to repair or replace before you'd be able to insist on a refund.

2) Did they fit the part? If the fitter was a third party then they may have broke the chain of causation.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 10th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    • 10,969 Posts
    • 7,782 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    Originally posted by webbhost
    That's a rather big assumption you're making there. How many miles have you driven on these so-called "ruined" tyres?
    • webbhost
    • By webbhost 10th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    webbhost
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    They were fitted by myself after I purchased from them. They are not a garage, they just supply parts. My assumption on tyre life was based on the amount of tread left on the tyres and normal lasting life.

I do about 5000 miles a year and still had between 5-6 mm tread left on a majority of the tyre so even at the minimum expectation of a tyre lasting for 20,000 miles it should have lasted another 2 years.

unholyangel, that's fine - If they want to replace with the correct spec ones then I'd be happy with that to be honest, even if I have just purchased proper jag ones as it would give me spares as a back-up incase the new ones go wrong.
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 10th Mar 18, 11:15 PM
    • 3,573 Posts
    • 3,046 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:15 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:15 PM
    Minimum expectation of 20,000 miles?
    Are you fitting plastic tyres? 10-15k is much more reasonable
    • webbhost
    • By webbhost 11th Mar 18, 11:35 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    webbhost
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:35 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:35 AM
    There's no solid determination as to a minimum mileage - however AA suggests this. In fact given it was my back tyres, they actually suggest I should get double that.

"You'd hope to get a minimum of 20,000 miles out of front tyres on a front-wheel-drive car, and double that for rear tyres although we recommend moving worn rear tyres to the front when the fronts wear out."

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/safety/tyre-life-and-age
    • webbhost
    • By webbhost 11th Mar 18, 11:40 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    webbhost
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:40 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:40 AM
    A decent tyre would normally last me 4-5 years as long as tracking and camber is in-line.. If you are only getting 10,000 miles out of a tyre I would suggest you need this checked unless you're only doing 2000 miles a year.
    • takman
    • By takman 11th Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    • 3,326 Posts
    • 2,914 Thanks
    takman
    • 11th Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    You probably realise this now but it's always a good idea to get the 4 wheel alignment checked after doing any work on the suspension. It doesn't have to be expensive a place local to me has the latest Hunter equipment and only charge 39.99 for a full check and two adjustments.
    • webbhost
    • By webbhost 11th Mar 18, 4:26 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    webbhost
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:26 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:26 PM
    Yep, I can get one from the next village over (4 wheel laser which includes camber) for 30. I plan to have this done after I finish work just to make sure there is nothing else dodgy still going on.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Mar 18, 7:41 PM
    • 26,964 Posts
    • 10,862 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    You changed the suspension and didnt get the alignment done? The X-Type is a Mondeo underneath. I have bought several items from Jaguar for my Mondeo because oddly its cheaper than buying from Ford.

Sounds like the arms were fine but you didnt get the suspension adjusted.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • bigstevex
    • By bigstevex 11th Mar 18, 8:59 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    bigstevex
    Minimum expectation of 20,000 miles?
    Are you fitting plastic tyres? 10-15k is much more reasonable
    Originally posted by mattyprice4004

Strange statement, I'm on 22k miles on my tyres, down to 5mm on the rear and 2.8mm on front. Pirelli P zero 20" so not a hard compound either.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 11th Mar 18, 10:00 PM
    • 4,285 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    DoaM
    On my previous car (Golf 2l GT TDi Bluemotion) the first set of tyres (rotated at about 18k miles) were changed at 2 mm tread depth after 44k miles.
    Last edited by DoaM; 11-03-2018 at 10:19 PM.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 12th Mar 18, 1:14 PM
    • 13,540 Posts
    • 8,598 Thanks
    arcon5
    After two years not a chance of a refund or replacement.

All they will say is you should have checked them before fitting. So compared your old ones to the new ones.

Also you should have wheel alignment checked when playing with suspension components. If you did then consequential losses could have been avoided.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 12th Mar 18, 2:41 PM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 5,734 Thanks
    societys child
    They were fitted by myself
    This changes things.
    You didn't check the new against the old?
    That's the first thing you do when replacing car parts, preferably before removing the old part, if possible.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin