Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • peppapig14
    • By peppapig14 10th Mar 18, 12:24 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 0Thanks
    peppapig14
    Universal/ tax credit advise
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:24 PM
    Universal/ tax credit advise 10th Mar 18 at 12:24 PM
    I currently live in a full universal credit live area, claiming only tax credits and dla for my 3 year old daughter.
    If I move to a different local authority ( a live universal credit area also ) will I be moved onto UC? What about if I move to the same local authority as am currently?
Page 1
    • huckster
    • By huckster 10th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 3,145 Posts
    • 1,338 Thanks
    huckster
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    Not sure above affect moving to a live service area Live service areas are gradually changing to full service.

If you move to a new address in a full service UC area, you might have to move onto UC in regard to tax credits. DLA is separate as far as I know. You can get carers money under UC, if you qualify.

If you are definitely moving at some point shortly, best advice is to speak to a trained benefits advisor E.g Citizens Advice, Turn2Us, Entitled to. A lot more info needs to be considered by someone to advise you properly.
    Last edited by huckster; 10-03-2018 at 1:46 PM.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 10th Mar 18, 4:13 PM
    • 2,571 Posts
    • 2,550 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 10th Mar 18, 4:13 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 4:13 PM
    I currently live in a full universal credit live area, claiming only tax credits and dla for my 3 year old daughter.
    If I move to a different local authority ( a live universal credit area also ) will I be moved onto UC? What about if I move to the same local authority as am currently?
    Originally posted by peppapig14
    You need to check if the area is a full or a live UC area because there's a difference. If the area you're moving to is a full UC area then you'll have to make a claim for UC. If it's a live UC area then you'll stay as you are. Check here.
    https://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate
    • peppapig14
    • By peppapig14 10th Mar 18, 6:18 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    peppapig14
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:18 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:18 PM
    Thanks,
    It is a full UC area, and says I will be moved onto UC with a change of circumstances, however all finances will be the same and only change of circumstances will be change I'd address - so I'm hoping that will not trigger UC
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 10th Mar 18, 6:25 PM
    • 2,571 Posts
    • 2,550 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:25 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:25 PM
    Thanks,
    It is a full UC area, and says I will be moved onto UC with a change of circumstances, however all finances will be the same and only change of circumstances will be change I'd address - so I'm hoping that will not trigger UC
    Originally posted by peppapig14
    What other benefits do you claim apart from what you mentioned above? Any other means tested benefits like housing benefit, Income Support? JSA?
    • peppapig14
    • By peppapig14 10th Mar 18, 6:26 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    peppapig14
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:26 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:26 PM
    Nothing else, only tax credits. I will be moving from private rented to a mortgaged property
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 10th Mar 18, 7:34 PM
    • 2,022 Posts
    • 2,340 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:34 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:34 PM
    I think (but am not completely sure) that you will not be moved onto UC.

If you moved into a UC full service area, and needed to claim (what was) HB then instead you would have to claim UC and your TC award would then end.
    But as you are just in receipt of CTC I believe that HMRC will just note this as a change of address, and not a change that would end your TC claim.

This is a useful chart - but does not cover your specific circumstances:
    https://www.welfare-benefits-unit.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/What-triggers-a-claim-for-Universal-Credit-in-a-full-service-area.pdf
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 10-03-2018 at 7:38 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

440Posts Today

5,799Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin