Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • newleaf
    • By newleaf 10th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 3,003Posts
    • 3,438Thanks
    newleaf
    Exercising POA?
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    Exercising POA? 10th Mar 18 at 11:58 AM
    I've posted this in the family & relationships section as well, but maybe it's better suited to this board?
    Unfortunately, my elderly mum is currently seriously ill in hospital, and recovery seems unlikely.
    We sorted out POA (medical & finances) a few years ago, when she made her will. The POA was also registered with the Court of Protection at the time, so I understand it's all ready for me to use.
    What evidence will I need to take to the bank etc. now, to allow me to take the reins?
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 10th Mar 18, 12:29 PM
    • 8,320 Posts
    • 10,638 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:29 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:29 PM
    While there is a good answer on your other thread, it depends entirely on which bank.

Call them.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 10th Mar 18, 1:19 PM
    • 24,767 Posts
    • 11,977 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:19 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:19 PM
    Normally you just need to make an appointment at the banks with the original document and ID for yourself.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 11th Mar 18, 1:20 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    • 11th Mar 18, 1:20 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 1:20 PM
    Do you already have PoA set up with your mother's bank? If not, make an appointment to see them with all the relevant documents, and also ID and address verification for yourself if you're not a customer.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 11th Mar 18, 4:43 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 4,023 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:43 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:43 PM
    Just for info - as responses are overlapping now, the OP's other thread on this is here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5808370
    • Larac
    • By Larac 11th Mar 18, 6:19 PM
    • 806 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    Larac
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:19 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:19 PM
    When I 'activated' the POA on my Mums bank accounts, they wanted to see the original copy of the finance POA document and my passport. Not essential but it helps if you also bank with your Mums bank so they can validate you further. I did this for Lloyds and Nationwide, who had similar processes. Best to ring up and make an appointment so they can allocate somebody in the branch who knows how to deal with a POA.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

802Posts Today

7,281Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin