Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ransom_Dry_Elk
    • By Ransom_Dry_Elk 10th Mar 18, 11:51 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Ransom_Dry_Elk
    Tyre rotation
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:51 AM
    Tyre rotation 10th Mar 18 at 11:51 AM
    My car recently had a MOT and service. One of the warnings was that the front tyres were down to 4mm of tread, however the back ones are only 6.
    I was wondering if I should get them rotated but apparently Kwikfit don't recommend it and would replace all 4 tyres. Would it be worth finding somewhere that will do a rotation or should I replace all of them anyway?
Page 1
    • facade
    • By facade 10th Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    • 3,142 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    facade
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    4mm is plenty of tread!
    If you have some sort of spare wheel and a jack you can swap the front wheels with the back ones (assuming the tyres are the same size, they will be unless we are talking about something exotic) by putting the spare on in place of one wheel and then swapping the newly removed wheel with one of the others.

I'd put the fronts on the back, and then wear the fronts down nearer to 2mm then buy a new pair of fronts.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Mar 18, 12:11 PM
    • 17,362 Posts
    • 15,701 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:11 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:11 PM
    New tyres come with 8-9mm of tread.
    The legal minimum is 1.6mm, the usual recommendation is that below 3mm badly affects water disperal ability.

There's no way I'd be replacing the 6mm rears. The 4mm fronts are getting towards end of life, but not there yet.

Rotate? Your call. It's not exactly hard to do it yourself, if you have a jack and wheelbrace...
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 10th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    • 4,716 Posts
    • 1,752 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    IMO you should replace both tyres on an axel at the same time.
    What I do is to replace the front pair at about 2mm and put them on the back putting the other part worn back pair on the front.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Mar 18, 12:34 PM
    • 20,114 Posts
    • 15,839 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:34 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:34 PM
    There is an argument that you should have the most tread on the rear tyres, so you could keep things as they are for now, then when the fronts have worn down to 3mm or less get them replaced and at the same time swap the rears to the front. It won't make any difference in how much you have to pay overall but if you do the swap now you may have to budget to replace all 4 tyres at once.
    • telemarks
    • By telemarks 10th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    telemarks
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    Or just let the front wheels wear down, then replace just the fronts before next winter. Rotating tyre front<>back, is quite a lot of work with a spare and a jack.

I see no problem having different wear front and back, after all unless the car has just come off the production line (or out of Kwikfit ) then a car has unequal wear front/back for 99% of its life.

I'm sure all of us here are not surprised that the people recommending you buy more tyres .. just happen to sell them
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 10th Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    My car recently had a MOT and service. One of the warnings was that the front tyres were down to 4mm of tread, however the back ones are only 6.
    I was wondering if I should get them rotated but apparently Kwikfit don't recommend it and would replace all 4 tyres. Would it be worth finding somewhere that will do a rotation or should I replace all of them anyway?
    Originally posted by Ransom_Dry_Elk
    The advice these days is ... "New tires should always be installed on the rear axle and the partially worn tires moved to the front.

So if you are thinking your best tyres should be on the front, this is wrong.

• Noree
    • By Noree 10th Mar 18, 1:36 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Noree
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:36 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:36 PM
    The advice these days is ... "New tires should always be installed on the rear axle and the partially worn tires moved to the front.

So if you are thinking your best tyres should be on the front, this is wrong.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    I cannot see how that is sound advice.

So if a vehicle, say a fiesta is a front engine front wheel drive vehicle, then the best tyres should be on the back?! Makes no sense to be fair.

The front wheels are steering and driving the vehicle and have a larger portion of vehicle weight. The rear wheels are simply following along.

As for the original post, I wouldnt bother with switching front/rears.

Depending on what vehicle you have, you can apply cheap budget tyres on the rear (if something like a fiesta) and medium quality tyres on the front and the vehicle is fine in all conditions as long as tread is above 3mm for those colder (frosty) or wet days.

Also Kwik Fit are trying to get money out of you and are not giving the right advice. If they!!!8217;ve recorded this advice, then I would be inclined to challenge it and ask why a tyre with 6mm tread requires a change.
    Last edited by Noree; 10-03-2018 at 1:39 PM.
    • antieu
    • By antieu 10th Mar 18, 1:39 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    antieu
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:39 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:39 PM
    Just swap the fronts to the back and vice versa, but keep them on the same side of the car, n/side to n/side etc. then if you maintain the same rare of wear they should all need replacing at the same time.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Mar 18, 1:42 PM
    • 17,362 Posts
    • 15,701 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Originally posted by Noree
    That's as maybe, but it is the industry standard advice, and has been for years - and is based on very sound reasons.

So if a vehicle, say a fiesta is a front engine front wheel drive vehicle, then the best tyres should be on the back?! Makes no sense to be fair.

The front wheels are steering and driving the vehicle and have a larger portion of vehicle weight. The rear wheels are simply following along.
    Understeer is more predictable, and easier for the inexperienced to control, than oversteer.
    • telemarks
    • By telemarks 10th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    telemarks
    That's as maybe, but it is the industry standard advice, and has been for years - and is based on very sound reasons.
    Understeer is more predictable, and easier for the inexperienced to control, than oversteer.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Sounds wrong to me. My son ended up in the left hedge, because he over corrected understeer, then launched across the road when the tyres did bite again.

In understeer to car doesn't lose speed, and is heading straight towards oncoming traffic/verge, at least in oversteer the car slows as it goes sideways.
    Last edited by telemarks; 10-03-2018 at 2:05 PM.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Mar 18, 2:14 PM
    • 17,362 Posts
    • 15,701 Thanks
    AdrianC
    It's only heading towards oncoming traffic if the bend goes left.

And I don't care if it sounds wrong to you... That IS the general advice from across the tyre and motoring industry.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tyre+advice+best+rear
    • Noree
    • By Noree 10th Mar 18, 2:15 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Noree
    Replace those that are under 3mm and i wouldn!!!8217;t recommend budget tyres all round just because of the harder compound they generally have.

My rule of thumb would be mid range all round at least if rear wheel drive, but budget rear and mid range for front wheel drive. All if the engine is at the front.

The general forces exerted on a tyre during normal driving conditions shouldn!!!8217;t affect where the new tyres are fitted.
    Last edited by Noree; 10-03-2018 at 2:20 PM.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 10th Mar 18, 2:29 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 1,007 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Well I never!!! Have always put newest on the front. Makes sense when you think about it.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • telemarks
    • By telemarks 10th Mar 18, 2:49 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    telemarks
    It's only heading towards oncoming traffic if the bend goes left.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    And if its a right bend, as I said, you are heading for the verge at speed.

Either way, the advice seems based on the fact that people don't know to steer into oversteer. i.e. lack of driving skills

So for me i'll continue to put the best tyres where they do most work, at the front, I know both my children have spent enough time on the airfield to know how to handle sliding the back of the car. Front of the car sliding .. then by definition you have no control, as my son knows to his cost.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 10th Mar 18, 3:01 PM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 4,330 Thanks
    DoaM
    I'm another rebel (allegedly) ... I always prefer the better tyres on the wheels connected to the driving axle.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 10th Mar 18, 3:03 PM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 2,051 Thanks
    Tarambor

Originally posted by Noree
    Lift off oversteer.

Think about it. At the front you've got a heavy engine helping keep the tyres on the road, at the back you have very little weight. When you brake even more weight is transferred to the front tyres. In front wheel drive cars you can end up with a phenomenon known as lift off oversteer on roundabouts and corners where you let off the throttle or apply the brakes and the rear tyres have insufficient grip so you end up with the back sliding sideways. That is why on a front wheel drive car you want the better tyres at the rear.

Chris Harris explaining lift off oversteer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBYSl3dD-UQ

On a rear wheel drive it is obvious why you want the better tyres at the rear.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 10-03-2018 at 3:10 PM.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 10th Mar 18, 3:05 PM
    • 6,610 Posts
    • 5,103 Thanks
    ohreally
    Well I never!!! Have always put newest on the front. Makes sense when you think about it.
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    Take your car to Costco and they will always place the new tyres on the rear axle (Michelins guidelines).

FOR COMPLETE CONTROL, FIT YOUR NEW TYRES TO THE REAR AXLE

Rear wheels are not connected to your steering wheel, which makes it extremely difficult to judge their grip while driving. We recommend that new tyres or the least worn tyres are fitted to the rear wheels to ensure:

Better control in emergency braking or tight corners when the roads are slippery.
    Less risk of losing control of your vehicle, especially on wet surfaces
    Better road holding, particularly in difficult situations, whether your car is front or rear wheel drive
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
    • telemarks
    • By telemarks 10th Mar 18, 3:26 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    telemarks
    Last thought to those saying best wheels at the rear.

I bought my car (Mazda) new, 2 years ago, at about 16k miles it started asking for tyre rotation from rear to front.

So my car manufactures advice is to now put the best tyres on the front.

I'd suggest following your car manufactures guidance is probably a good idea in the long run, or do folks disagree with that?
    • cb1979
    • By cb1979 10th Mar 18, 6:54 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    cb1979
    If your car is only a few years old and the spare tyre is the same size as the rest and still new i would be tempted to buy one new tyre, and fit the new spare to one of the wheels that the tyre only has 4mm on, then fit the 4mm tyre to the spare wheel
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,638Posts Today

8,195Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin