Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hercules Grytpype-Thynne
    • By Hercules Grytpype-Thynne 10th Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    • 74Posts
    • 15Thanks
    Hercules Grytpype-Thynne
    Funeral "expenses"
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    Funeral "expenses" 10th Mar 18 at 11:44 AM
    Owing to my wife's disability, I have had to take over the funeral of her mother..................post funeral I have discovered that the local council want £65 to change the ownership of the "lease" from my now deceased Mother in Law to me & my wife AND THEN a further £125 for permission (!!) to add letters to the gravestone (double grave, with Father in Law).

BUT it gets worse. Because we no longer live in the same town as her the council want DOUBLE of both those charges. That is £380 just to basically just add letters**. I think that is obscene and grossly unfair.

Comments please? Anyone else experienced this rip-off?

**With the cost of the letters we are looking at just over £800! My God! I would have thought that expensive for a whole new headstone!!
Page 1
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 10th Mar 18, 1:50 PM
    • 4,254 Posts
    • 3,471 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:50 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:50 PM
    Owing to my wife's disability, I have had to take over the funeral of her mother..................post funeral I have discovered that the local council want £65 to change the ownership of the "lease" from my now deceased Mother in Law to me & my wife AND THEN a further £125 for permission (!!) to add letters to the gravestone (double grave, with Father in Law).

BUT it gets worse. Because we no longer live in the same town as her the council want DOUBLE of both those charges. That is £380 just to basically just add letters**. I think that is obscene and grossly unfair.

Comments please? Anyone else experienced this rip-off?

**With the cost of the letters we are looking at just over £800! My God! I would have thought that expensive for a whole new headstone!!
    Originally posted by Hercules Grytpype-Thynne
    It is quite common practice for councils to charge more for non resisents in these circumstances..
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 10th Mar 18, 1:59 PM
    • 2,257 Posts
    • 1,528 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:59 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:59 PM
    A relative of mine lived with their partner but wrongly claimed single person council tax because the partner owned another house elsewhere.

When my relative died the local council charged their partner more for the plot because they were not a local resident.
    • SevenOfNine
    • By SevenOfNine 10th Mar 18, 5:33 PM
    • 1,312 Posts
    • 1,291 Thanks
    SevenOfNine
    • 10th Mar 18, 5:33 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 5:33 PM
    Yes, as YM99 says "common practice".

Our LA charges £90.50 to transfer the grant of exclusive rights to burial. You will not be able to put MiL in with FiL without coughing up - as a deceased person she is no longer able to give permission for the gravesite to be opened. Ridiculous or what!

Additional inscriptions on existing stonework here cost £100.42.

You've forgotten to mention (or yet to discover) there is also a charge to reopen the grave for her interment, here it is £321.50 (I'm assuming you're talking about ashes).

Yes, to non-residents twice as much. Were there no other family/close friends locally who would have taken on the burial rights?

You'd think that once the burial rights had been purchased that would/should be it, sadly it's like a blinking shopping list of additional charges. TBH when my Aunt's ashes had been buried several years we decided to replace her memorial tablet, so we did - at dusk, LA didn't notice. Some years later we added some of the ashes of her sister to the grave & changed the tablet again so both had their info on, again - at dusk. Another 6 years have passed & LA still haven't noticed. (If they ever do I'll deny all knowledge.)

Did your wife, with possible disability benefits, check if she qualified for the funeral grant of £2k. Won't go far but better than nothing.

I agree, obscene & unfair, but sadly not unique I think all LA's probably charge left, right & centre.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
    • Hercules Grytpype-Thynne
    • By Hercules Grytpype-Thynne 11th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Hercules Grytpype-Thynne
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    Yes, as YM99 says "common practice".

Our LA charges £90.50 to transfer the grant of exclusive rights to burial. You will not be able to put MiL in with FiL without coughing up - as a deceased person she is no longer able to give permission for the gravesite to be opened. Ridiculous or what!

Additional inscriptions on existing stonework here cost £100.42.

You've forgotten to mention (or yet to discover) there is also a charge to reopen the grave for her interment, here it is £321.50 (I'm assuming you're talking about ashes).

Yes, to non-residents twice as much. Were there no other family/close friends locally who would have taken on the burial rights?

You'd think that once the burial rights had been purchased that would/should be it, sadly it's like a blinking shopping list of additional charges. TBH when my Aunt's ashes had been buried several years we decided to replace her memorial tablet, so we did - at dusk, LA didn't notice. Some years later we added some of the ashes of her sister to the grave & changed the tablet again so both had their info on, again - at dusk. Another 6 years have passed & LA still haven't noticed. (If they ever do I'll deny all knowledge.)

Did your wife, with possible disability benefits, check if she qualified for the funeral grant of £2k. Won't go far but better than nothing.

I agree, obscene & unfair, but sadly not unique I think all LA's probably charge left, right & centre.
    Originally posted by SevenOfNine

No, this is way past the burial back in May last year. For various reasons (!?) it is only now the subject of the headstone has come up. YES, horrendous charges, but I won’t go into ALL that!

The family as a whole wanted quite a bit of extra lettering at £3.45 per letter so that’s where that charge mounted up, and although I am not entirely happy with that of course, it is the clearly arbitrary charges made by the local council. I know, I know, but what bleedin’ difference does it make that we don’t live in that town anymore – NOTHING. Daylight robbery.

As I think I explained in my original post, you cannot do all these changes to the stone etc. without being the person with the Grant of Probate, which the two local grandchildren didn’t have.

I like your style! Spooky and so glad you got away with it. No wonder you put “your LA” (initially thought it was strange that you were talking in sterling, living in Los Angeles ) to keep your anonymity.

Yes, thank you I will look into the disability thing, but fear too much water has gone under the bridge.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

543Posts Today

5,696Users online

Martin's Twitter