Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WJK2000
    • By WJK2000 10th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    WJK2000
    Avast Products
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    Avast Products 10th Mar 18 at 11:42 AM
    computer did not improve an dI noticed they'd left an app. I phoned tech support the following day and it was 50 minute wait for answer. The tech support person was very off hand saying that teh check the previous day couldn't find anything and that was it. I explained the problems and teh continual pop - ups and he was equally dismissive. I then said that I was very suspicious that something had been planted in my computer and would want a refund and my computer cleared of anything belong to Avast. He told me to go on the Avast website to check for a refund --- and other work would have to be paid for. Rather shocked as I first saw AVast advertised on MSE.. Anyone else have similar problem? Anyone offer any advice??
Page 1
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 10th Mar 18, 12:06 PM
    • 2,748 Posts
    • 1,570 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:06 PM
    Is some of your post missing? It starts in the middle of a sentence.
    Last edited by RumRat; 10-03-2018 at 12:08 PM.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • missile
    • By missile 10th Mar 18, 12:06 PM
    • 9,443 Posts
    • 4,697 Thanks
    missile
    Get rid of Avast
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 10th Mar 18, 12:58 PM
    • 5,185 Posts
    • 2,963 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:58 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:58 PM
    You should give some information about the popups you are getting.

Run Malwarebytes Antimalware (avoiding the premium upgrade) to satisfy yourself that nothing has been added that you don't want.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 11th Mar 18, 8:24 AM
    • 3,525 Posts
    • 2,707 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:24 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:24 AM
    Avast = gash

Remove it post haste and run malwarebytes free version and adw cleaner to get rid of the malware you have
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 11th Mar 18, 1:48 PM
    • 10,108 Posts
    • 7,573 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 11th Mar 18, 1:48 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 1:48 PM
    Avast = gash
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Compared to what it was, it is at the moment Seems to have got much worse since they bought out AVG, but at the end of the day it's all cyclic as to which is best at any given time.

I've gone back to Avira on my main machine at the moment (subject to change as & when )
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • frankie
    • By frankie 11th Mar 18, 2:04 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    frankie
    • 11th Mar 18, 2:04 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 2:04 PM
    Avast = gash

Remove it post haste and run malwarebytes free version and adw cleaner to get rid of the malware you have
    Originally posted by AndyPix

So what AV free would you recommend, if Avast is gash, for a win 8.1 desktop please?
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 11th Mar 18, 2:08 PM
    • 33,020 Posts
    • 38,587 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 11th Mar 18, 2:08 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 2:08 PM
    Windows defender , windows 8's built in free one
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • J B
    • By J B 11th Mar 18, 6:24 PM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    J B
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:24 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:24 PM
    So what AV free would you recommend, if Avast is gash, for a win 8.1 desktop please?
    Originally posted by frankie
    Bit Defender Free
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 11th Mar 18, 8:41 PM
    • 813 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    David Aston
    Hold on guys. I'm happily using Avast, since you lot weaned me off AVG! Should I be using whatever comes with Windows 7?
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 11th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 10,108 Posts
    • 7,573 Thanks
    GunJack
    Hold on guys. I'm happily using Avast, since you lot weaned me off AVG! Should I be using whatever comes with Windows 7?
    Originally posted by David Aston
    err...no.

decent free a/v:-

avira
    bit defender

but as I said earlier, always subject to change and depends on the config of your machine, for example, some W7 machines don't like the newer version of bit defender (mine included), so you really need to change as & when you get issues.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 11th Mar 18, 8:50 PM
    • 8,523 Posts
    • 6,437 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Originally posted by frankie
    Move up to windows 10 perhaps
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 11th Mar 18, 10:06 PM
    • 8,145 Posts
    • 5,888 Thanks
    esuhl
    Originally posted by David Aston
    I have mixed feelings about Avast. In the past few years, when I've been cleaning friends' infected PCs, Avast has been most effective (compared to other free AVs) at cleaning up infections.

Until several months ago, I was using Avast too (with just the shields enabled, and nearly all the other bloatware turned off).

But I ran into some kind of problem with it affecting the normal operation of my PC (can't remember what), and was getting fed-up with the bloat/advertising and the decreasing performance of my PC (which returned when I uninstalled Avast).

I tried various other free antiviruses, but found them all quite bloated and performance-sapping. So I got rid of my antivirus altogether and splashed out 30 for year's Malwarebytes Premium licence.

I begrudge having to pay money just to keep Windows safe, but Malwarebytes works really well -- it's simple, doesn't noticeably affect the speed of the PC, and seems quite effective.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 11th Mar 18, 10:08 PM
    • 8,145 Posts
    • 5,888 Thanks
    esuhl
    Move up to windows 10 perhaps
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    Or Linux -- no need for an antivirus at all.
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 12th Mar 18, 8:05 AM
    • 5,778 Posts
    • 2,247 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    I begrudge having to pay money just to keep Windows safe, but Malwarebytes works really well -- it's simple, doesn't noticeably affect the speed of the PC, and seems quite effective.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    you don't HAVE to pay to keep windows safe. i have been using windows for approx 25 years and never paid for av. i use win10/defender and apart from one stupid mistake (downloading software without unchecking a box) by me haven't had any problems. the mistake was then sorted with a 20 min factory reset.
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 12th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 8,145 Posts
    • 5,888 Thanks
    esuhl
    i have been using windows for approx 25 years and never paid for av.
    Originally posted by dipsomaniac
    Same here.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 14th Mar 18, 9:47 AM
    • 3,525 Posts
    • 2,707 Thanks
    AndyPix
    I think it's important to note the change of the threat landscape over the recent years ..

Viruses, in their usual sense, are less of a threat than they used to be, and any half decent AV is good enough to keep the nasties out, as they all pretty much try to exploit the same things..

Malware on the other hand, is becoming more and more prevelent.

This is because viruses are/were designed to cripple systems.

But the dubious characters that create these have realised that there is no money to be made from a crippled system - and of course money is the great driver ..

These days the worst threats come from ad slinging, credential stealing malware - and AV programs are terrible at detecting these.
    That is why, it is a common sight to see machines absolutely riddled with malware and an install of AGV or Avast etc running away in the background desperately trying to steal the last remaining clock cycles from the UI .. but doing nothing for the millions of PUPs running along side it ..

Basic AV is all you need - coupled with common sense , a restricted click finger and a semi regular sweep with malwarebytes
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 14th Mar 18, 10:10 AM
    • 10,108 Posts
    • 7,573 Thanks
    GunJack
    ^^^ total sense posted above
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,555Posts Today

6,600Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin