Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pattacake18
    • By Pattacake18 10th Mar 18, 9:50 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Pattacake18
    Section 75 claim
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:50 AM
    Section 75 claim 10th Mar 18 at 9:50 AM
    Hi I paid for advice and a service (I don't think I need to go into the details of what it was because it's complicated) from a company and subsequently found out that I did not need this service at all - they had lied. I was going to approach them to get my money back using Section 75 but they have just gone out of business. The company has been struck off by Companies House.

When looking at my credit card statement I have found that the name of the now defunct company does not appear on the credit card statement when I made the payment. It is the name of a firm of Chartered Accountants - presumably this firm's accountants when they were trading. The Accountants are still trading.
    Does this mean that Section 75 does not apply?
    Last edited by Pattacake18; 29-03-2018 at 6:03 PM.
Page 1
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 10th Mar 18, 9:55 AM
    • 10,037 Posts
    • 11,306 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:55 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:55 AM
    To know if there is a possible S75 claim, you need to say what type of service it was, (ie, was it a business related one?).

If you paid the accountants and they then paid the company then it's possible that S75 wouldn't apply as there wasn't a direct link for the payment going from your card to the company.
    • d123
    • By d123 27th Mar 18, 10:43 PM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    • 27th Mar 18, 10:43 PM
    • 27th Mar 18, 10:43 PM
    The service the company was offering which I paid for was to get me out of any future obligations to pay maintenance fees for a timeshare. I have since discovered that I didn't have an obligation anyway. When I made the credit card payment I thought I was paying the company that was providing the service. It was only when I checked my credit card statement and saw that the company's name wasn't on it and it was a different name I didn't recognise. So I googled the name and found it was a firm of accountants.
    Originally posted by Pat Black
    According to your other thread you didn't know what the deductions were for and say you think your card is cloned...

I have had two deductions made from my credit card within the space of a couple of weeks that I don't recognise. The amounts and the name of the company receiving the money on my statements are completely unknown to me. I think my card has been cloned/copied somehow but I have never let it out of my sight. What can I do to get my money back?
    Which is true? Be careful of contemplating fraud on a public forum.
    ====
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 28th Mar 18, 8:22 AM
    • 13,576 Posts
    • 8,619 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 28th Mar 18, 8:22 AM
    • 28th Mar 18, 8:22 AM
    The service the company was offering which I paid for was to get me out of any future obligations to pay maintenance fees for a timeshare. I have since discovered that I didn't have an obligation anyway. When I made the credit card payment I thought I was paying the company that was providing the service. It was only when I checked my credit card statement and saw that the company's name wasn't on it and it was a different name I didn't recognise. So I googled the name and found it was a firm of accountants.
    So you thought you had to pay maintenance on the time share...went to them for professional advice...then discovered you don't have to pay maintenance anyway...
    So how does this make them liable to refund You? Have they been negligent in offering advice?

None of what you have said makes it sound like you even have rights to a refund. Although we still don't know the full story so who knows
    • Pattacake18
    • By Pattacake18 29th Mar 18, 10:31 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pattacake18
    • 29th Mar 18, 10:31 AM
    Credit card
    • 29th Mar 18, 10:31 AM
    This is nothing to do with my first post - this unfortunately relates to another credit card which I used after making an internet purchase - seems my card was cloned. it has now been stopped and will be re-issued with a new number and I am getting a reimbursement from the cc company. I seem to be in a run of bad luck at present -will have to revert to good old cash.
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 29th Mar 18, 2:20 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    ceh209
    • 29th Mar 18, 2:20 PM
    • 29th Mar 18, 2:20 PM
    If the name is a firm of accountants and the company is now dissolved, then possibly the company was already in administation and the accountants were the administrators?
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

148Posts Today

1,725Users online

Martin's Twitter