Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • collectors
    • By collectors 10th Mar 18, 9:15 AM
    • 75Posts
    • 21Thanks
    collectors
    Community Infrastructure Levy CIL
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:15 AM
    Community Infrastructure Levy CIL 10th Mar 18 at 9:15 AM
    Hi, i am looking to sell part of my garden "800sqm" with planning permission for a 4/5 bed house. This will have a floor space of around 190sqm. I am trying to find out what sort of CIL charge there might be for this. My local CIL officer is not back for a week to tell me. so i am hoping someone here can shock me, lol.

Thanks
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th Mar 18, 9:20 AM
    • 7,668 Posts
    • 7,811 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:20 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:20 AM
    Will vary with the council. Don't they have guidance on their website?
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 10th Mar 18, 9:29 AM
    • 7,479 Posts
    • 5,959 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:29 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:29 AM
    Its a local arrangement, there should be a calculator or charging schedule on the Council website.

You also need to check carefully which measurement they use. External, internal, gross, net etc etc.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 10th Mar 18, 10:23 AM
    • 845 Posts
    • 961 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:23 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:23 AM
    It is not your concern as you are selling the plot. The BUILDER has to pay it before he starts work.

If you sell it to an individual self builder who is building a house to live in himself (or indeed if you built the house for yourself) then you can get a CIL exemption and not have to pay it, but you MUST do all the paperwork and get the exemption in writing BEFORE you star ANY work on the plot.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th Mar 18, 10:43 AM
    • 7,668 Posts
    • 7,811 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:43 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:43 AM
    It is not your concern as you are selling the plot. The BUILDER has to pay it before he starts work.
    Originally posted by ProDave
    But it will affect the value of the plot.
    • collectors
    • By collectors 10th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    collectors
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:47 AM

If you sell it to an individual self builder who is building a house to live in himself (or indeed if you built the house for yourself) then you can get a CIL exemption and not have to pay it, but you MUST do all the paperwork and get the exemption in writing BEFORE you star ANY work on the plot.
    Originally posted by ProDave
    Ah, a couple of people have had this where its the responsibility of the seller to pay the fee. Even though the purchaser/builder would be charge when purchasing the plot the council would still hold me responsible as it would be me that put in for planning in the 1st place.
    • betsie
    • By betsie 10th Mar 18, 10:51 AM
    • 408 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    betsie
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:51 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:51 AM
    Itís the square meters your adding ( so the whole house) x a set price per m2.

I think ours was £200 per sq m but varies from council to council.

If a self builder buys it and builds a house which he lives in for 3 yrs from date of completion of the house (formal sign off) they will not have to pay it (have to file various forms at correct points in The process to meet this exception).

I thinks itís on internal living space including internal walls.
    • collectors
    • By collectors 10th Mar 18, 11:03 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    collectors
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:03 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:03 AM
    Thanks for the reply's. Like many council web sites they cant be clear on what i would be charged for & it always feels like they dont want to commit to a simple answer because of legal commitments. Wouldn't it be nice if they just put in place a simple calculator.
    IE: is it the total floor area of just the ground floor? Do i have to include a separate double garage? as i dont class this as living space. Are you charged on the area above 100sqm or the total area. The people below this size area are not charged, so, i am not sure why should i be.
    Wouldn't it be nice if they just put in place a simple calculator.

Hi betsie, just got you comments, so on a 190sqm house it could be £38000.00 bill, or is there a possible limit to what they charge.
    Last edited by collectors; 10-03-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    • pink_pirlie
    • By pink_pirlie 10th Mar 18, 11:19 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    pink_pirlie
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:19 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:19 AM
    What council is it?
    • betsie
    • By betsie 10th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 408 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    betsie
    No limit mine is £56k
    It!!!8217;s on the total internal floor area on all floors (excluding loft) and I don!!!8217;t know about the garage as we don!!!8217;t have one. I don!!!8217;t think they take off the first 100m2 but mine was different as we had a building on the plot which we demolished so ours is the difference between what was here and what we built.
    • collectors
    • By collectors 10th Mar 18, 11:53 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    collectors
    No limit mine is £56k
    It!!!8217;s on the total internal floor area on all floors (excluding loft) and I don!!!8217;t know about the garage as we don!!!8217;t have one. I don!!!8217;t think they take off the first 100m2 but mine was different as we had a building on the plot which we demolished so ours is the difference between what was here and what we built.
    Originally posted by betsie
    Ouch! it looks like i might be limiting myself to the type of purchasers that dont have to pay & would live there for 3 years minimum to help avoid the shock.
    Last edited by collectors; 10-03-2018 at 11:58 AM.
    • betsie
    • By betsie 10th Mar 18, 12:01 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    betsie
    Your councils fee might be a lot lower I think it varies from £50 to £250 a sq meter depending on where you live.
    • pink_pirlie
    • By pink_pirlie 10th Mar 18, 12:34 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    pink_pirlie
    Levy rates are expressed as pounds per square metre. These figures are applied to the gross internal floorspace of the net additional development liable for the levy.

CIL will be payable on the floor space of the garage as it will be an integral part of the planning application for the new dwelling.

Councils may have different CIL zones with different charges for different parts of the area.
    Some areas may have a zero rate, some may be £200 plus. It will be based on viability evidence that will have been reviewed through an examination process.

You can read this in the Charging Schedule which will be published on their website.
    • collectors
    • By collectors 10th Mar 18, 1:16 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    collectors
    Thanks every one. I live in a less expensive area of Kings Lynn & just found there is a CIL "What i call tax" of £60 per sqm. But with 2 floors & a double garage will still be £19,000.00.
    • nubbins
    • By nubbins 10th Mar 18, 3:54 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    nubbins
    Unless you live in it for 3 years and then you are exempt
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 10th Mar 18, 4:31 PM
    • 845 Posts
    • 961 Thanks
    ProDave
    Unless you live in it for 3 years and then you are exempt
    Originally posted by nubbins
    But as stated before you MUST apply for the exemption before you start.
    • collectors
    • By collectors 10th Mar 18, 5:51 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    collectors
    [QUOTE=nubbins;74003251]Unless you live in it for 3 years and then you are exempt]

Unfortunately this is just to sell on to a builder. But if i can get it waved until the sale to a builder, it wont be so bad.
    • pink_pirlie
    • By pink_pirlie 10th Mar 18, 6:10 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    pink_pirlie
    There is a two stage exemption process -
    1) you must claim the exemption before commencing development and you cannot claim an exemption until permission is granted.
    So if the builder is a self builder then they can make the exemption application after they have bought the land and before they commence development.
    2) They would then submit part 2 of the exemption form once the development is completed.

This is the explained more on the planning portal,s website.
    Last edited by pink_pirlie; 10-03-2018 at 6:13 PM. Reason: Remove random characters
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin