Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 10th Mar 18, 6:19 AM
    • 3,062Posts
    • 42,147Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Saturday 10th March 2018
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:19 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 10th March 2018 10th Mar 18 at 6:19 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 10th March 2018

This is an !!!8220;over the garden fence!!!8221; type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It!!!8217;s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we!!!8217;re going to do today or what we!!!8217;ve achieved already. Everyone!!!8217;s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn!!!8217;t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don!!!8217;t post large pictures, or clip art !!!8211; links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don!!!8217;t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Nelski - if you have any contact with Holly please send our love and hugs, hoping she'll be back amongst us soon having received the best treatment for her x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, but laying water everywhere, it's been raining continuously since tea time last night, and is still going.

DH and myself now enjoying first peaceful cuppas - I'll be going for a shower soon then breakfast.

Dinner last night was a cheeky takeaway - we haven't had one for ages and fancied one, was very nice. Dinner tonight will be liver, bacon, sausage, chips, peas and gravy.

I had a voicemail from the repairers, to say that the engineer's van had broken down so my appointment to get the fridge freezer looked at had been cancelled and they had booked me in for the next available one which is Tuesday next week, rang them back to cancel that but managed to get re-booked for next Friday - I'll see if they turn up then. I'm so pleased I didn't take a day off work to be home, so now will only book this type of appointments on days' when I'm off so if they don't turn up I've not wasted a days' holiday. I have had this before where we've taken a days' holiday stayed in all day and no-one's turned up etc.

I did get the food shopping done just a bit later than normal as at least I knew the engineer wasn't coming by 8.30am so got organised and went straight to the SM, glad I did as it was packed already, now I remember why I go first thing! Once I got home I got going with the washing, drying and ironing, got the hoover ran over the house and I'd got up early and given the kitchen a good clean too so whilst not a show home, it's ok.

Today I'll be heading into town first thing to visit the building society, then home to continue with getting bedding washed and changed, and a few other jobs. We'll be visiting the parents at some point.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 10-03-2018 at 6:36 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th Mar 18, 7:05 AM
    • 3,647 Posts
    • 45,474 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:05 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:05 AM
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread nmlc, hugs to those in need especially Holly, ill be worrying about her.

CHS will be dropped at work soon I then need to get on with cleaning the boat, I've been out almost every day for most of the day either helping with child care or yesterday sorting out getting cars to the garage and delivering DD1 home. All three family cars are on the blink, mine, DD1's and DD2's.

DD1 and I had a lovely lunch out at Henry & Joe's in Newbury, an early mothers day treat.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 10th Mar 18, 7:12 AM
    • 3,979 Posts
    • 27,214 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:12 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:12 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. It's a horrible morning here with more rain following on from the overnight rain. It could be worse, it could be falling as yet more snow!! And it has been much milder this last day or two so not complaining!

Been thinking of dear HOLLY and hope they have got her somewhere where she can get the help she needs and is soon back with us. Happy Birthday to PHOEBE. I'm sure DUMPLING and her lovely Steve will be spoiling her rotten!

Just enjoying a coffee in peace before I need to get youngest DGD up. She has ballet lessons this morning and has to be dropped off at 9.00. Nearly as bad as a school day! All is going well up in Darlington with "Margot". Casting started yesterday and rehearsals start in earnest today.

DD's bf is picking youngest up after ballet to take her to a school friend's birthday party. It's at a lovely Italian restaurant in town and I am quite envious!

Not a lot else planned for today but I must pop in town at some point for a hair colour. The skunk look is back. Not a lot else needed so just a quick wander round then back home. Still not sorted the freezers out and logged what's in them, so must do that today. Doing jacket spuds for tea and I know there is a bag of prawns out there somewhere for Mr TA's filling. I prefer tuna mayo.

Have a good day all and ((HUGS)) for all in need/want of them. Take care xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 10th Mar 18, 8:03 AM
    • 1,607 Posts
    • 19,072 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:03 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:03 AM
    Morning allamas, what a wet day!

I have just caught up, thank you Nelski for updating us and if you do manage to speak to Holly, please let her know that I'm thinking of her as I imagine we all are.

Today I need to do a kitchen and bathroom blitz and that's it really. There is no point in trying to do the rest, the promised unpack and put away operation has failed to materialise and I am a bit fed up about that.

Time for toast.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Mar 18, 8:04 AM
    • 6,428 Posts
    • 40,668 Thanks
    Gers
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:04 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:04 AM
    Good morning everyone.

Raining here too and feels milder than before.

Yesterday’s events ran well. The house is full of flowers from family and friends and there are cards galore. The visitors arrived on time so there was a lot of chat. Happily they went out for a stroll through the. Botanic Gardens for a while to give DM some respite. Then we sat down for champagne with fish and chips - perfect.

Today I’m going to collect the ‘party food’ order from W aitrose for this evening. We have an afternoon tea at a beautiful hotel at 1pm. The place used to be the RAC club, fabulous old building.

Tomorrow will be back to ‘old clothes and porage’

My thoughts are with Holly.

Now, to start the day. Happy Saturday to everyone.
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 10th Mar 18, 8:13 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 3,556 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:13 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:13 AM
    Morning all, it's raining here, don't know what the temp is like.

Thinking of Holly,hope she's ok.

We are expecting Ds and family this afternoon, they've bought a car, so we're keen to see it. Menu for tea is planned.

Our 2 new windows are in, and look very nice, the guys cleared up after themselved pretty well then we did a quick vacuum round.

Happy birthday to those having a birthday, and thoughts to the sad, lonely, and unwell.

Take care folks,and have a good day
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 10th Mar 18, 8:26 AM
    • 12,429 Posts
    • 39,736 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:26 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:26 AM
    Morning

Its very quiet on here today lets hope everyone is getting a good sleep in.

No news from our Holly but I will try to call later though I have a feeling they wont let me speak to her or tell me anything. I will update the thread as soon as I know.

Im going to get her a card today from all of us so if anyone wants to add a message let me know and Ill add it in this weekend and post on Mon.

Managed to finish send the video yesterday but boy was it frustrating took me a couple of hours to get it done and be as happy as I could be with a cringeworthy piece then it took 5 hours to upload and send Wont be doing that in a hurry again.

Beef in red wine last night with sone new pots ...not sure about today but I do have a tikka curry portion in the free`er so think Ill have that with some nan and a chutney tray

Today is my befriending call then Im off to James' again for the morning Just the usual housey stuff today but the rain means I wont br repeating my successful first hang out of the year from yesterday.

Gers enjoy the special weekend

Have a good day all
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 10th Mar 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,837 Posts
    • 46,090 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:48 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:48 AM
    Good Morning All

Happy Birthday to your DM Gers, have a great day, the afternoon tea sounds lovely.
    Hope Holly's ok.

I was late in last night, went to a fundraiser for friends son's air cadets, nothing exciting but good company and I think they made a fair bit.

Boxercise this morning, it wasn't on last week due to the weather so will probably struggle today. Must go to the allotment this afternoon and then a friends party this evening - busy day!

Washing going on when I've had a shower then a load of birthday cards to write and post off.

Have a good weekend. Take care. XX
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 10th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    • 967 Posts
    • 12,651 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    Morning all

On early childcare duties as DD is going to Cardiff to meet with two of her old friends from University. We are hoping to take DGS to the East Somerset Railway today to see the steam trains. OH of course is keen. I'm not but it will keep them both amused today. I am hoping the rain keeps off.

Thinking of Holly H today.

Have a good day folks.

Gintot
    Last edited by Gintotmelinda; 10-03-2018 at 8:55 AM.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 10th Mar 18, 8:55 AM
    • 1,607 Posts
    • 19,072 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Nelski, in the card could you please add my love?
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    • 3,647 Posts
    • 45,474 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Nelski, please tell Holly I will keep her in my thoughts.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 10th Mar 18, 9:16 AM
    • 3,468 Posts
    • 31,813 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Nelski - would you please add to the card "hugs from maddiemay", thank you.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 10th Mar 18, 9:18 AM
    • 2,092 Posts
    • 25,725 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Just caught up on the news re Holly, that’s a lovely idea re the card Nelski can you send her my love and best wishes please.
    Up a bit later today, DOH has gone out to meet his eldest for breakfast and had an invite but decided on some me time instead, also gives them a chance to talk nothing but football
    Have a hay delivery coming today but not until 4 so will go over the yard around 3ish, Tilly could do with a good run so will walk her around the fields at some point. Tea will be something easy, perhaps beef burgers with coleslaw.

Have a good day folks x
    • Judi
    • By Judi 10th Mar 18, 9:31 AM
    • 16,132 Posts
    • 70,189 Thanks
    Judi
    Morning all,

Just a quick one...Lovely idea about the card Nelski...can you add my name to it please.

Must go...I'm surrounded by dead things....yes I'm at a cemetery. We decided in the week to give our dearly departed a visit and headstones a clean. Not an easy job for either of us....I get upset every time. It would have been easier on me if I could have had her remains cremated but couldn't because of emissions....something to do with the formaldehyde they were stored in.

Holly thinking of you.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 10th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    • 3,979 Posts
    • 27,214 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    NELSKI please add me to the card too, wishing HOLLY the best care and lots of love 'n hugs. Thinking of her xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • poppy811
    • By poppy811 10th Mar 18, 9:59 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 1,073 Thanks
    poppy811
    Nelski, could you add me to the card for Holly please
    Judi Yes the widows thread you mentioned has been a huge help to me. It is reassuring that others have the difficult thoughts and feelings particularly as my sister in law tells me I should be over it by now!
    I am going to give the lounge a clean and tidy and then am off to see the film His Darkest Hour with a friend.
    • Elona
    • By Elona 10th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 2,080 Thanks
    Elona
    poppy

I am not a violent woman but I want to handbag your sister in law !!!! Tempted to point out that as you actually love your husband it has ripped your life apart.

Nelski
    Could you send a hug and positive vibes from me to hollyH.

Middle dd and bf are calling for me at 11.30 so just about to pop in the shower, wash my hair and look out a nice top and trousers. DD said we are going to lunch but did not say where so will try to make sensible choices while still enjoying the meal.

The house is fairly tidy and I am skipping breakfast and having a light meal tonight to balance things out..

Hugs to all especially Holly
    • SuperMoose
    • By SuperMoose 10th Mar 18, 10:39 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    SuperMoose
    No news from our Holly but I will try to call later though I have a feeling they wont let me speak to her or tell me anything. I will update the thread as soon as I know.

Im going to get her a card today from all of us so if anyone wants to add a message let me know and Ill add it in this weekend and post on Mon.
    Originally posted by Nelski
    Please let Holly know that I'm thinking of her. Thank you

Good morning everyone
    Please put out food and water for the birds
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 10th Mar 18, 10:43 AM
    • 741 Posts
    • 9,954 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning Dailies
    I was up early( ish ) this morning as I went to bed yesterday at 8.30pm, so I slept 12hrs with only one loo break. Must have needed that, although I still don't feel right, I feel very down but I have no idea why IYSWIM.
    Mr Fix It is driving me up the wall, as last night and this morning he has been moaning about the state of the orchard where we keep our 'van. So we are looking into moving it but we still don't have a tow bar on the car. That brought problem number 2, getting someone to fit ( it takes 4hrs, apparently) when we have a day in the diary that doesn't have an appointment . Normally he would have fitted it himself but he has lost his confidence and is making mountains out of molehills. It must be the medication messing with his brain because he's usually so calm and collected . The weather isn't helping my mood as it's grey and raining. Wish I'd stayed in bed now .
    So on to today, I have no plans to speak of, just a general pottering about. Tea tonight ? I have no idea, perhaps I can persuade Mr Fix It into having a chinese takeaway . It might just cheer us both up ! ( or send us both over the edge )
    Righty ho ! I shall have another coffee before I actually do something productive, but honestly I cba today. At least I shall fill the DW and start that up, then sort out my shopping list for next week.
    Sorry for moaning today.

Nelski Please add my love and many hugs to Holly's card . I hope that she is now being treated in a more kindly manner than she has been lately by TPTB.
    Dumpling Happy Birthday to your DD Hope you all have a lovely day.
    Gers Champagne and fish and chips .... how decadent . Hope your DM is enjoying it all !
    TA don't you know the skunk look is in this year ! I have that look too .
    Take care all, hope everyone is having a good Saturday.
    Love and hugs to all.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 10th Mar 18, 11:06 AM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Good morning everyone.

Raining here too and feels milder than before.

Yesterday’s events ran well. The house is full of flowers from family and friends and there are cards galore. The visitors arrived on time so there was a lot of chat. Happily they went out for a stroll through the. Botanic Gardens for a while to give DM some respite. Then we sat down for champagne with fish and chips - perfect.

Today I’m going to collect the ‘party food’ order from W aitrose for this evening. We have an afternoon tea at a beautiful hotel at 1pm. The place used to be the RAC club, fabulous old building.

Tomorrow will be back to ‘old clothes and porage’

My thoughts are with Holly.

Now, to start the day. Happy Saturday to everyone.
    Originally posted by Gers
    Gers Was that you in a pink top at about 1000 this morning? I waved but couldn’t hang around.

Either way, please wish your mother ‘herzlichen Gluckwuncsh zum Geburtstag’

Nelski please add my best wishes to Holly.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

48Posts Today

3,152Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin