Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pizzarelli7348
    • By pizzarelli7348 10th Mar 18, 5:30 AM
    • 90Posts
    • 22Thanks
    pizzarelli7348
    New boiler installation and water stains on ceilin
    • 10th Mar 18, 5:30 AM
    New boiler installation and water stains on ceilin 10th Mar 18 at 5:30 AM
    Hi,

we have had central heating installed this week. This was replacing the electric storage heating we had in the house. Finally warm and so far so good.

On the last day of the installation on thursday, the plumber started to fill all the radiators in, put the boiler on . At the last minute he realised his son had forgotten to turn off one of the radiators in the bedroom upstairs( no carpet in this room just floorboards).
    By the time he realised 40 minutes had gone by. He quickly got a towel and closed the valve on the radiator and said not to worry.
    Pretty much straight after ( an by this time he was already gone) a few small water stains have started to appear on the ceiling downstairs. AT first they were grey and now they are turning yellow.
    I have called the plumber who has said "what do you want me to do? The house is old any way" and really being quite unhelpful. He is coming to have a look on Monday but to be honest we have lost trust in him ad I am very reluctant to let him back in the house. My question is: are the water stains going to settle or could it be that there is an ongoing leak between tubes and this is what's causing the water stains? The boiler is working well , I m just a bit worried as the pressure when not is use is just below 1. Could this be due to an ongoing leak?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 10th Mar 18, 6:10 AM
    • 2,068 Posts
    • 1,392 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:10 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:10 AM
    It depends whether they fixed what was leaking in the 1st place. It sounds as if they might just have left the bleed valve on the rad open in which case the leak is fixed.
    Unless an enormous amount of water escaped the ceiling should dry out and you can just redecorate.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Mar 18, 7:01 AM
    • 25,045 Posts
    • 92,579 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:01 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:01 AM
    You won't be able to obliterate the stain with normal paint. You will need something like Zinnser B I N.

Why aren't you looking at the pipes to see if there is some kind of a leak still present at that point? If you aren't going to let the plumber in the house, how can he check anything?
    Last edited by Davesnave; 10-03-2018 at 7:03 AM.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 10th Mar 18, 7:10 AM
    • 1,870 Posts
    • 1,125 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:10 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:10 AM
    Chances are it is fixed and the water is still working its way down. We had a bathroom leak to our kitchen years ago, tried to paint it out several times and in the end replaced the kitchen roof. It's quite straightforward if it's plasterboard, more difficult if it's plaster and lathe.
    • pizzarelli7348
    • By pizzarelli7348 10th Mar 18, 7:12 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    pizzarelli7348
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:12 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:12 AM
    I will let him in on Monday but I don't think he will want to do anything. If he was a more conscientious worker he would have come on Thursday ( or yesterday or this week end) when I informed him of the leak. If he was a good worker he would have lifted the floorboard after he realised the bleed valve on the radiator had been left open for 40 minutes!

He makes me angry though because now that has been paid he can't be bothered and has put us at the end of the queue.
    • pizzarelli7348
    • By pizzarelli7348 10th Mar 18, 7:13 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    pizzarelli7348
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:13 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:13 AM
    Thank you for the advice I think I will lift the floorboard myself and check for a leak
    • martindow
    • By martindow 10th Mar 18, 10:06 AM
    • 7,550 Posts
    • 4,281 Thanks
    martindow
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:06 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:06 AM
    Thank you for the advice I think I will lift the floorboard myself and check for a leak
    Originally posted by pizzarelli7348
    Check for leaks, or not, on the radiator and pipework you can see rather than under the floorboards. I imagine there is some visible evidence of where the original leak was where water ran onto the wall or carpet, so it should be straightforward to see if it is still leaking.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,667Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin