Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Mar 18, 3:44 AM
    • 25,609Posts
    • 54,317Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Replacing a smoke alarm
    • 10th Mar 18, 3:44 AM
    Replacing a smoke alarm 10th Mar 18 at 3:44 AM
    Another thick question from me (aka DIY novice) I'm aftraid.

I have a Aico EI141RC smoke alarm that needs replacing. I could replace with the same product but I know there are others out there that will do the job. What I'd like to do is use the existing mounting base with minimum fuss, ie just slide the unit back in without hammering, drilling etc. Are smoke alarm fittings generally universal?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 1
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 10th Mar 18, 10:17 AM
    • 2,660 Posts
    • 1,519 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:17 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:17 AM
    You could replace it with the same or similar model from the same manufacturer. Use this link to select your use manual and see the instructions for removing it. Then slide in another one. why do you need to replace it?
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 10th Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    Risteard
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    You absolutely must not mix and match interlinked detectors. (And no - pattresses are not universal - they are brand specific.) Incidentally where is this detector located? Ionisation detectors are not the most appropriate in most locations. Generally they are used stumpy because they're cheaper rather than suitable for the location.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    • 25,609 Posts
    • 54,317 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    You could replace it with the same or similar model from the same manufacturer. Use this link to select your use manual and see the instructions for removing it. Then slide in another one. why do you need to replace it?
    Originally posted by Le_Kirk
    Because despite changing the batteries more often than I would have liked, I didn't realise that these devices have an expiry date

And mine is past it, even though it appears to be working.

Conclusion: no cutting corners, either replace like with like or change and fit new entirely.
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 10-03-2018 at 1:03 PM.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • dancing_star
    • By dancing_star 10th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    dancing_star
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    Because despite changing the batteries more often than I would have liked
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    90% of the time in the middle of the night, right?

Why DO they do that?
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 10th Mar 18, 3:40 PM
    • 2,660 Posts
    • 1,519 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 10th Mar 18, 3:40 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 3:40 PM
    The model number you show is a mains 230 volt version so the batteries are only for back up and should last quite a long time. You are quite right that they need to be changed as they do have a finite life. However, if you purchase the same model number, it should fit the same mounting base. This will save the hassle of having to remove the old and fit a completely new one, along with the wiring.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 10th Mar 18, 4:52 PM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    z1a
    • 10th Mar 18, 4:52 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 4:52 PM

Why DO they do that?
    Originally posted by dancing_star
    Yep, pretty sure mine all fail in the small hours.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 10th Mar 18, 5:01 PM
    • 8,041 Posts
    • 8,879 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 10th Mar 18, 5:01 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 5:01 PM

Why DO they do that?
    Originally posted by dancing_star
    Because battery voltage is related to temperature, and your house is usually coldest in the middle of the night.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,589Posts Today

6,712Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin