Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • eddyinfreehold
    • By eddyinfreehold 9th Mar 18, 11:26 PM
    • 158Posts
    • 117Thanks
    eddyinfreehold
    Transfer of No Claims Bonus
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:26 PM
    Transfer of No Claims Bonus 9th Mar 18 at 11:26 PM
    Has anybody had dealings with this company?

https://www.lancasterinsurance.co.uk/

I bought an old car and rang up to get an insurance quotation prior to it being delivered. The quote was acceptable and I noted the reference. The car was delivered and I rang up two days later to accept the quote and pay for it using the reference. My documents arrived by email and I was able to tax the car within the hour. Three weeks later I received an unsolicited phone call asking for the details and a copy of my no claims bonus & policy from another car I own as Lancaster wanted to transfer the NCB to my new policy. I did not agree to this on the original quotation but only told them I was accident free over the previous 5 years on another policy and more on a Motability policy (20years +). They then said that my quotation would have to charge another 5 to start a new policy with 0 years no claims bonus plus add a 30 administration fee. I told them I disagreed with their business practise and they should go back and listen to the sales pitch for the original quotation to see if I had agrred to 'transfer' my no claims bonus from one policy to another. I have never heard of this. I didn't even realise it was possible to transfer a no claims bonus.

Has anyone had a similar experience with Lancaster Classic Car Insurance? Their trading method seems like sharp practise to me.
Page 1
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 10th Mar 18, 8:56 AM
    • 6,962 Posts
    • 5,727 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:56 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:56 AM
    I believe ncb can only be used on one vehicle. Either you or they assumed it would be used on the new policy and they quoted accordingly. Not sure about sharp practice, more likely a simple misunderstanding.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Mar 18, 9:14 AM
    • 20,154 Posts
    • 15,877 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:14 AM
    Did you tell them that you had a NCB that you wanted to apply to the new policy? If so, then what they have asked is perfectly reasonable, and the charges because you have declined to use the NCB seem reasonable too.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 10th Mar 18, 9:14 AM
    • 33,457 Posts
    • 28,354 Thanks
    custardy
    Has anybody had dealings with this company?

https://www.lancasterinsurance.co.uk/

I bought an old car and rang up to get an insurance quotation prior to it being delivered. The quote was acceptable and I noted the reference. The car was delivered and I rang up two days later to accept the quote and pay for it using the reference. My documents arrived by email and I was able to tax the car within the hour. Three weeks later I received an unsolicited phone call asking for the details and a copy of my no claims bonus & policy from another car I own as Lancaster wanted to transfer the NCB to my new policy. I did not agree to this on the original quotation but only told them I was accident free over the previous 5 years on another policy and more on a Motability policy (20years +). They then said that my quotation would have to charge another 5 to start a new policy with 0 years no claims bonus plus add a 30 administration fee. I told them I disagreed with their business practise and they should go back and listen to the sales pitch for the original quotation to see if I had agrred to 'transfer' my no claims bonus from one policy to another. I have never heard of this. I didn't even realise it was possible to transfer a no claims bonus.

Has anyone had a similar experience with Lancaster Classic Car Insurance? Their trading method seems like sharp practise to me.
    Originally posted by eddyinfreehold
    Everyone would have the same experience with any insurance company.
    Your NCD is only acceptable on one vehicle.
    If you couildnmt 'transfer' it (a term nobody uses really) hen you would be stuck with one insurer.
    • eddyinfreehold
    • By eddyinfreehold 10th Mar 18, 9:24 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    eddyinfreehold
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:24 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:24 AM
    I was asked when getting the quotation whether I had had any accidents or made any claims in the last five years, and whether I had committed any motoring offences in the last five years. I was not asked if I had any no claims bonus or how long it was (4 years on the policy in question), and was not asked if I wanted to transfer it to the new policy. There was no paperwork or small print to agree or sign as the entire transaction was done verbally and on the telephone. For them to come back wanting to transfer my no claims bonus and charge me for the privalage without my consent looks very much like sharp practice to me.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 10th Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    • 5,253 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    I was asked when getting the quotation whether I had had any accidents or made any claims in the last five years, and whether I had committed any motoring offences in the last five years. I was not asked if I had any no claims bonus or how long it was (4 years on the policy in question), and was not asked if I wanted to transfer it to the new policy. There was no paperwork or small print to agree or sign as the entire transaction was done verbally and on the telephone. For them to come back wanting to transfer my no claims bonus and charge me for the privalage without my consent looks very much like sharp practice to me.
    Originally posted by eddyinfreehold

are you sure? because that's a standard question?
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 10th Mar 18, 9:50 AM
    • 10,118 Posts
    • 7,577 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:50 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:50 AM
    The daft thing is about NCD is that is is the PERSON, not a car, that has the entitlement, so why do insurance co.'s say you can only use it on one policy? You may have 2 cars, but can only drive one at a time FFS....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • eddyinfreehold
    • By eddyinfreehold 10th Mar 18, 10:00 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    eddyinfreehold
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:00 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:00 AM
    are you sure? because that's a standard question?
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    I am as sure as I can be. I didn't record the conversation. If taking the policy involved sending documents and faffing about I wouldn't have bothered with it and gone elsewhere. I am certain I declared no accidents, claims or conviction but equally as certain there was no no-claims bonus conversation. If there was I wouldn't have said 5 years. I think they have inferred this.

Out of interest I have made no claims in 20 years as the recorded keeper and driver of my daughter's motability vehicle. Four years ago when I took out the policy in question this had no bearing on the quotation and was ignored. I had to start from scratch again with a new policy and no no-claims bonus. When I took out the 3rd policy a few weeks ago I assumed that would be the case again.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 10th Mar 18, 10:23 AM
    • 9,973 Posts
    • 11,243 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:23 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:23 AM
    The daft thing is about NCD is that is is the PERSON, not a car, that has the entitlement, so why do insurance co.'s say you can only use it on one policy? You may have 2 cars, but can only drive one at a time FFS....
    Originally posted by GunJack
    You can only drive one at a time but if you have two cars then both of them are covered for fire and theft at all times and the NCD gives a discount on the premium for these risks as well as when the car is being driven.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 10th Mar 18, 10:40 AM
    • 6,962 Posts
    • 5,727 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Any classic policies i've looked at don't recognise or build up ncb. The extra 5 suggests your ncb is almost irrelevant for this policy. I would pay the 5 but push for the admin fee to be waived suggesting they didn't explain their quote was based on using your ncb on this policy.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    • 35,613 Posts
    • 19,827 Thanks
    Quentin
    You don't get NCD with mobility.

Look in the documentation you originally got which will show your details. Does it mention 4 years NCD there?
    • eddyinfreehold
    • By eddyinfreehold 10th Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    eddyinfreehold
    OK, Thanks for the input and advice everyone. I've ploughed through all the documents. The Proposal mentions NCD at the end and says 5 years (when it is 4), although I am certain I wasn't asked that question over the phone and am absolutely certain that I didn't want my existing policy and NCD mucked around with. I can only guess that by asking me if I had made any claim in the last 5 years (No) and whether I had any other policies (yes, 1 Motability and 1 private domestic & leisure, 4 years) that either their computer system or the person ticking the boxes on the phone quotation has put 2 and 2 together and filled in the NCD bit. The bottom line is that I was not asked if the proposed policy should take over the NCD on my existing one.

Anyway. They haven't phoned back yet to get it straight, I presume they are still listening to the tape of the proposal or have given up on it. What is really annoying is they do everything by telephone and 1) assume you have half an hour of your working day to deal with this at their convenience and 2) you have all the salient details at your fingertips wherever you are working.

As to the Motability Scheme there is no No-Claims bonus on the system. No insurer of another policy/car takes any regard of your driving record or claims or convictions if you are with Motability. It seems to live in a private bubble of insurance all of its own. In the old days you would have an insurance certificate and the Log Book yourself at home. Nowadays all these documents are kept in some vault at Mo tability HQ and if you are stopped by the Police I presume you must direct them to Motability HQ for details. You certainly have no paperwork to show the officer on the street.

If I manage to resolve this I will post an update. Thanks everyone.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 35,613 Posts
    • 19,827 Thanks
    Quentin
    As your docs say you had 4 years NCD then that is what they have used as part of their calculations for your premium

Await them coming back to you after listening to the call, but if you did say you had 4 years NCD to use when you had nil, then expect to have to pay the revised premium and admin fee.

If you didn't say this, then don't accept any premium increase! They should stand by their quote if that is the case
    • eddyinfreehold
    • By eddyinfreehold 10th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    eddyinfreehold
    Await them coming back to you after listening to the call, but if you did say you had 4 years NCD to use when you had nil, then expect to have to pay the revised premium and admin fee.

I didn't say anything about NCD, I said I had a Motability policy and another policy and had not made any claims or had any accidents or prosecutions when THEY asked "in the last 5 years" . I assumed the question related to my overall driving record and not any specific policy or NCD.

I just assumed I would have to build up a new NCD on the new policy.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Mar 18, 1:47 PM
    • 35,613 Posts
    • 19,827 Thanks
    Quentin
    If that's the case then no problems.

You can hopefully expect them to capitulate and apologize
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin