Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • curiosity101
    • By curiosity101 9th Mar 18, 11:12 PM
    • 101Posts
    • 41Thanks
    curiosity101
    What to do about neighbour parking Infront of my h
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:12 PM
    What to do about neighbour parking Infront of my h 9th Mar 18 at 11:12 PM
    Now I do actually know the answer. I have no right to the path and kerb outside of my house. And in reality don't really plan on doing anything about it, I just wanted to vent and hear some stories about what, if anything, other people have done in the past. Especially if there are some funny stories!

So my story... We live on a quiet cul-de-sac. Everyone has at least one car parking space on their driveway and several houses have room for up to 4. The house opposite us has a 1 car drive way and 4 cars ( 2 shiny land rovers that are religiously cleaned every week and never driven anywhere. And two standard family cars). The family is a mum, dad and the have a young (maybe 5 years old) daughter.

As they have lots of cars they always park outside of our house. The house next to them always parks on the other side of the road opposite our drive (but only have 2 cars so fair enough). The result is a minor inconvenience (makes me grumpy every time) that every time we reverse out we have to do a 3 point turn cause there isn't enough space to do it in one go.

Again, I know I don't have any rights, and don't plan on doing anything. But vent with me, tell me yours stories and any suggestions you've got (even if you're just joking). Someone at work suggested nails in front of their tyres so when they pull off they impale on them. I hoped the person was joking... I've also heard stories of people buying cars to park in front of their house permanently
Page 1
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 9th Mar 18, 11:21 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 1,203 Thanks
    treboeth
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:21 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:21 PM
    Just go out and blow the cars up and hit him with a baseball bat(think I saw it in cartoon or a dream once).

Anything people tell you they have done is either illegal(as above) or BS.

Either speak to the neighbour and appeal to their better nature or live with it.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 9th Mar 18, 11:27 PM
    • 1,873 Posts
    • 2,511 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:27 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:27 PM
    Can you beat them to it and park on the road outside your house every now and then? At least you will have the temporary smug satisfaction that you have inconvenienced them a little! If you have two cars you can play the game for a while and frustrate them.
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 9th Mar 18, 11:28 PM
    • 7,481 Posts
    • 5,959 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:28 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:28 PM
    Reverse into your drive and occasionally leave the car on the road.
    • curiosity101
    • By curiosity101 9th Mar 18, 11:30 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    curiosity101
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:30 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:30 PM
    Haha, parking outside of our own house would be hilarious. We only have one car so we'd be actively leaving our driveway empty
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th Mar 18, 12:41 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:41 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:41 AM
    Bird seed.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 10th Mar 18, 1:40 AM
    • 8,500 Posts
    • 8,810 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:40 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:40 AM
    Maybe take-up a garden hobby that deters people from parking too close? Large-scale splatter-painting or perhaps fire sculpture:

• fatrab
    • By fatrab 10th Mar 18, 5:18 AM
    • 844 Posts
    • 1,983 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 10th Mar 18, 5:18 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 5:18 AM
    Have you spoken to them about it? Do any of your other neighbours feel the same? Perhaps they're oblivious to the nuisance they're causing.

We have 2 next door neighbours in our street who have fallen out over street parking and neither of them can park their cars considerately!
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    May's targets - Lose 1 stone - 6lbs off, 25/31 AFDs, 15/18 lunches.
    37 x 2 coins (#32) - Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 10th Mar 18, 6:09 AM
    • 3,302 Posts
    • 3,537 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:09 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:09 AM
    Reverse into driveway, makes it a lot easier wjen leaving.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 10th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    • 1,613 Posts
    • 1,402 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    First

World

Problems
    • boliston
    • By boliston 10th Mar 18, 12:34 PM
    • 2,615 Posts
    • 2,162 Thanks
    boliston
    lots of people with a driveway park outside their house specifically to stop other people parking on "their" bit of road
    • telemarks
    • By telemarks 10th Mar 18, 12:47 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    telemarks
    Park outside their house and wait for them to complain?
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 10th Mar 18, 12:58 PM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    First

World

Problems
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    I'm sorry. Are we only allowed to post now if we are in the third world? How then would we be able to afford computers and internet and phones?

My word, the forum would be quiet if that was a prerequisite of posting...
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 10th Mar 18, 1:08 PM
    • 982 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    Muscle750
    If they park half on pavement which my neighbour does even thou he could get his crate on his drive notify the plod or whoever about obstruction etc Its like the old bat opposite me i asked her many years ago if she maybe just park up the road about 6 ft which was infact right outside her house as reversing off my drive would be easier ...............all i got was a load of chops now they have two cars and ive watched her actually line hers up right opposite our drive on purpose you cant win
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 10th Mar 18, 3:22 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 2,066 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Haha, parking outside of our own house would be hilarious. We only have one car so we'd be actively leaving our driveway empty
    Originally posted by curiosity101
    And? Parking around my house is like yours. We park our car across our drive, I fail to see what the issue is.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 10th Mar 18, 4:04 PM
    • 4,285 Posts
    • 4,332 Thanks
    DoaM
    ive watched her actually line hers up right opposite our drive on purpose
    Originally posted by Muscle750
    Why not park your car outside her house?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • ACG
    • By ACG 10th Mar 18, 7:04 PM
    • 16,847 Posts
    • 8,790 Thanks
    ACG
    We had a drive way that led to the cul de sac when I was younger. One of our neighbours kept blocking it.

My step dad asked the bloke to stop parking there and he just more or less said he will park where he wants.

The next morning he was banging on our front door. Turns out in the night my step dad had put his car on a truck and put it about 3 miles away and just told him the area it was in but not the street.

That resulted in a fight in our front garden (my step dad used to be a boxer so quite handy).

The bloke did it again!

So my step dad moved his car again about 30 miles away.
    Another fight in the front garden.

It never happened after that.
    • facade
    • By facade 10th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    • 3,156 Posts
    • 1,659 Thanks
    facade
    Have you tried asking them not to park there?

A neighbour came round to ask me for some spare valve cores so that he could get his wife's car home.
    Turned out she had parked outside someone's house the day before, and found a note under the wiper blade not to park there.
    She ignored it and parked there the next day, then when she got back to her car "vandals/hoodie wearing yoofs" had stolen the valve cores out of her tyres.
    Strangely, hers was the only car in the street it happened to.......
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 10th Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    • 2,501 Posts
    • 7,475 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    We had a drive way that led to the cul de sac when I was younger. One of our neighbours kept blocking it.

My step dad asked the bloke to stop parking there and he just more or less said he will park where he wants.

The next morning he was banging on our front door. Turns out in the night my step dad had put his car on a truck and put it about 3 miles away and just told him the area it was in but not the street.

That resulted in a fight in our front garden (my step dad used to be a boxer so quite handy).

The bloke did it again!

So my step dad moved his car again about 30 miles away.
    Another fight in the front garden.

It never happened after that.
    Originally posted by ACG
    I can remember in the 60s my dad going after a young bloke who told him not to park in "his spot" in the cul-de-sac where we lived. The bloke didn't even live there, but was going out with a girl there.
    It wasn't outside her house either. Dad couldn't park outside our house, so he parked further down in front of the house of someone who didn't have a car. Matey arrived as we were getting out, and told dad not to park there. Dad chased him around the car. The bloke was pretty nimble on his feet I'll say that!

No harm done apart from the guy's ego. These days I expect the cops would turn up.
    Last edited by Jackmydad; 10-03-2018 at 7:48 PM.
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
    • MenInBlack
    • By MenInBlack 10th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MenInBlack
    At least the person parking outside your house is a neighbour. I have had people park their cars on my street and outside my house for weeks when they don't live in the area.

I have had a car that religiously parks on my street and it has not been taxed since September 2016. I have reported it numerous times but the driver keeps driving off after several hours.

We still have a Merc parked at the bottom of the street and it is taxed and insured but it has been there for months. I have though any punching the tyres or scratching the vehicles but that would be illegal.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,975Posts Today

5,951Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin