Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beyou
    • By Beyou 9th Mar 18, 10:05 PM
    • 43Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Beyou
    Could I be fired?
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:05 PM
    Could I be fired? 9th Mar 18 at 10:05 PM
    Some money has gone missing at work that was given to me by a customer. The customer had given me the money and I immediately put it in the safe. I gave the customer the receipt. When the customer asked for the money back after they left our service, I emailed my colleague who is responsible for taking out money. He didn't reply to my email. A month later, the customer came back to ask for the money, I asked my colleague who asked me "where did you put the money?" I told them I put it in the safe and he said it wasn't there. Unfortunately, this was the second time something important had got lost (the first time was a cheque which again I was sure I put in the safe). Only one other person besides me and my colleague had access to the safe, that is my manager. Could I be fired for this?

Also, my job role has changed since I started 8 months ago but I didn't receive a new contract for the job that I've been doing....do companies have to give you a new contract for a job that you've been doing for 7 months?
Page 1
    • Masomnia
    • By Masomnia 9th Mar 18, 10:13 PM
    • 17,196 Posts
    • 38,131 Thanks
    Masomnia
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:13 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:13 PM
    Does your manager know? If not tell them what happened ASAP.

They don't necessarily have to give you a new contract if your role changes.
    I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. - P.G. Wodehouse
    • Beyou
    • By Beyou 9th Mar 18, 10:17 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Beyou
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:17 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:17 PM
    Does your manager know? If not tell them what happened ASAP.

They don't necessarily have to give you a new contract if your role changes.
    Originally posted by Masomnia
    Yes they know. I know my manager doesn't like me anyway so I guess it'll give them more of a reason to get rid of me.
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 9th Mar 18, 10:19 PM
    • 7,598 Posts
    • 12,726 Thanks
    dori2o
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:19 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:19 PM
    I would provide any and all information I could and be up front about everything.

Regarding contracts. An employer doesnt have to give any form of contract to anyone.

Everyone is deemed to have a statutory 'contract' from the first day of work. This gives every worker statutory rights that are set down by the government. This is what most people refer to as employment law.

You only really need a contract if your employer offers over and above your statutory rights, although it is always a good idea to have a signed document which confirms the companies/businesses terms and conditions/code of conduct etc.
    To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 9th Mar 18, 10:28 PM
    • 2,919 Posts
    • 4,307 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:28 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:28 PM
    Some money has gone missing at work that was given to me by a customer. The customer had given me the money and I immediately put it in the safe. I gave the customer the receipt. When the customer asked for the money back after they left our service, I emailed my colleague who is responsible for taking out money. He didn't reply to my email. A month later, the customer came back to ask for the money, I asked my colleague who asked me "where did you put the money?" I told them I put it in the safe and he said it wasn't there. Unfortunately, this was the second time something important had got lost (the first time was a cheque which again I was sure I put in the safe). Only one other person besides me and my colleague had access to the safe, that is my manager. Could I be fired for this?

Also, my job role has changed since I started 8 months ago but I didn't receive a new contract for the job that I've been doing....do companies have to give you a new contract for a job that you've been doing for 7 months?
    Originally posted by Beyou
    Under two years they can get rid of you for any or no reason.
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 9th Mar 18, 10:34 PM
    • 7,598 Posts
    • 12,726 Thanks
    dori2o
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:34 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:34 PM
    Under two years they can get rid of you for any or no reason.
    Originally posted by RichardD1970
    Unfortunate but true. Even if they cant use this to dismiss you, so long as they dont use a reason that falls within a protected characteristic (age, sex, disability) then they can let you go for any or no reason within the first 24 months of employment.
    To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 9th Mar 18, 11:44 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 6,078 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:44 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:44 PM
    Surely there must be procedures in place to account for any and all monies handled by your company? Is there no record you have to complete every time you put money in the safe even if it is just that you and the person who gave it to you both sign across the sealed envelope you put the money in? If there is no way you can prove you did put this money and the cheque in the safe, perhaps you could suggest these measures are put in place; who knows, it might help your case.

It sounds like a shambles to me.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Mar 18, 9:11 AM
    • 20,154 Posts
    • 15,877 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:11 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:11 AM
    What happened in the month between the customer first asking for the money and asking a second time? Did you do anything to locate the money then? Did you report that it was missing? Why wasn't the customer asking more urgently?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin