Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Choll22
    • By Choll22 9th Mar 18, 9:27 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Choll22
    28 day exchange- any experiences?
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:27 PM
    28 day exchange- any experiences? 9th Mar 18 at 9:27 PM
    Last week we had an offer accepted on a house and were told that there was a caveat that we needed to exchange in 28 days. This is because the people we are buying from are are purchasing a new build, so presumably they have the same deadline?

We have had our mortgage agreed in principle and our broker is doing all the necessary stuff to get it in place, our current property has been sold and the last query is about to be resolved however we have yet to have a firm exchange/ completion date on it. Our solicitor is confident we can meet this deadline but we are still nervous about meeting this though if we do overrun itís unlikely to be by more than a couple of weeks. Our house is being bought by first time buyers so thereís no big chain behind us.

We have been told the notice to complete is for May/June.

Does anyone have an experience with this? And has there been any flex on this 28 days?

We are worried about going through, paying out, only to lose our house because we miss this deadline by a matter of weeks.
Page 1
    • Nicola83
    • By Nicola83 9th Mar 18, 10:08 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Nicola83
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:08 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:08 PM
    We've just bought a new build and reserved it 4th January and was told we had 28 days to exchange, however we didn't actually exchange until 15th Feb, which was 2 weeks over and our developers never bothered. Not sure if it works the same when there is a chain involved, but we are first time buyers and didn't have any issues with running over the deadline.
    • Choll22
    • By Choll22 9th Mar 18, 10:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Choll22
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:11 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:11 PM
    Thanks. From what Iíve seen most people buying a new build donít have many issues with it...Just nervous how it effects us further downthe chain.
    • Nadeshkarine
    • By Nadeshkarine 9th Mar 18, 11:55 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Nadeshkarine
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:55 PM
    I've not been involved in such a transaction but my concern would be what would be the agreed completion date - has the house they're purchasing already been finished?

My colleague exchanged on a new build, due to complete 4 months later...it ran over by 7 months. They weren't in a chain but still had to get their mortgage offer renewed and wait around with no recourse or ability to walk away unless it went over 8 months.
    Will they agree a fixed completion date with you and move into rented/temp accommodation if needed?
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 9th Mar 18, 11:55 PM
    • 7,835 Posts
    • 14,310 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    Last week we had an offer accepted on a house and were told that there was a caveat that we needed to exchange in 28 days. This is because the people we are buying from are are purchasing a new build, so presumably they have the same deadline?
    Originally posted by Choll22
    Our solicitor is confident we can meet this deadline but we are still nervous about meeting this though if we do overrun it`s unlikely to be by more than a couple of weeks. Our house is being bought by first time buyers so there`s no big chain behind us.
    We are worried about going through, paying out, only to lose our house because we miss this deadline by a matter of weeks.
    We have been told the notice to complete is for May/June.
    When you get to the end of March and are on day 27 of the 28, and you are not quite ready to exchange so you tell your sellers that they are going to have to wait another week or two for you, what are they going to do? Do you fear they will say "sorry we only said we would sell to you if you could exchange in 28 days and now we are on day 27, so if you can't exchange tomorrow you can't have the house, we are going to have to put it back on the market and try to find someone who can exchange in the next one business day from now."

I think that fear is unfounded. They have told you there is some time pressure and that they only accepted your offer on the basis you could be ready to exchange quickly, so that you are not tempted to be lazy about it. However, they are not expecting to complete their purchase until May / June you say. Which seems like plenty of time for overruns if you need another couple of weeks to wrap up whatever documentation or financial issues are outstanding at the end of this month.

I made an offer last October which was accepted on the basis that we would be in a position to complete by the end of the month (my own sale was well underway by that point). Optimistic but if you don't ask you don't get... They also said they would keep it on the market (no SSTC markers) until exchange - like it or not - although promised not to take any more viewings as long as progress was being made. In the end, things took a while longer than expected with my sale and there were delays with the solicitors and searches on the purchase. Then Christmas got in the way and in the end we didn't complete until January.

The seller didn't at any point actually threaten to cancel the sale. He was wanting a quick sale because he was frustrated by a 'timewaster' buyer earlier in the year and wanted me to know I was only getting it for the price I offered on the basis that I could complete quickly. But in practice, the last thing he would have wanted to do was to dump me and start the marketing process all over again and end up with a different buyer who didn't have a hope in hell of completing quickly and might be offering even less money.
    • kirtondm
    • By kirtondm 10th Mar 18, 10:31 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    kirtondm
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:31 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:31 AM
    The far bigger problem is likely to be the competion date.

Will your buyers be happy to exchange without a firm completion date?
    Will you?
    • pete-20-11
    • By pete-20-11 10th Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    pete-20-11
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    Ive been in this position, it was quite stressful especially when dealing with a council (the property was on a joint council/developer scheme).

Had a very good solicitor who was good at chasing the various people, plus the developer chased too.

Took 29 days in the end.

As others have said, if it takes a few extra days/weeks are they really going to walk away after all that work?!
    Last edited by pete-20-11; 10-03-2018 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Apostrophe
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,975Posts Today

5,951Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin