Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dan27
    • By Dan27 9th Mar 18, 9:08 PM
    • 172Posts
    • 51Thanks
    Dan27
    ESA and Carers Allowance
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:08 PM
    ESA and Carers Allowance 9th Mar 18 at 9:08 PM
    Is Carers Allowance worth claiming if I care for somebody else whilst I'm on ESA. If so how would it effect my ESA? I've tried to research it online. The way I read it is if I was awarded ESA The full amount of Carers Allowance will be deducted each week from my ESA amount. But I would then be entitled to Carer Premium as a top up to my ESA. I'm just trying to work out whether it's worth me applying or not? As I don't know whether to or not?
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 9th Mar 18, 9:33 PM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 2,550 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:33 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:33 PM
    Is Carers Allowance worth claiming if I care for somebody else whilst I'm on ESA. If so how would it effect my ESA? I've tried to research it online. The way I read it is if I was awarded ESA The full amount of Carers Allowance will be deducted each week from my ESA amount. But I would then be entitled to Carer Premium as a top up to my ESA. I'm just trying to work out whether it's worth me applying or not? As I don't know whether to or not?
    Originally posted by Dan27
    If you care for this person for at least 35 hours per week and they claim Daily living PIP/mid/high rate DLA or AA then yes you can claim Carers Allowance.

ESA will take off the CA from your ESA and add a premium of 34.60 per week. Carers Allowance will then pay you 62.70 per week. You would then be 34.60 better off per week.

If the person you're going to claim Carers Allowance for claims SDP (Severe Disability Premium) then they would lose this. I'd advice you to check they aren't claiming this before you make the claim for CA.
    • Vickimichelle
    • By Vickimichelle 10th Mar 18, 12:14 AM
    • 1,642 Posts
    • 6,107 Thanks
    Vickimichelle
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:14 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:14 AM
    I'm on ESA & care for my son who is on DLA, I can't claim carers as I get too much money (I think the limit is 116 a week) but get a carers premium as I have an underlining entitlement to carers.
    • Dan27
    • By Dan27 10th Mar 18, 2:24 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Dan27
    • 10th Mar 18, 2:24 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 2:24 AM
    Thank you both for your answers. I'm jumping the gun a little. My Dad has recently applied for Pip which he will likely get awarded hopefully. I have been doing alot of care recently over the last few months since his became very ill. He doesn't get any income based benefit at the moment but is part of a joint ESA claim with my mom. They don't get any SDP as far as I'm aware so it looks like once my dad has pip awarded hopefully. It may be good idea for me to swiftly apply for Carers Allowance.
    Last edited by Dan27; 10-03-2018 at 2:28 AM.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 10th Mar 18, 6:32 AM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 2,550 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:32 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:32 AM
    I'm on ESA & care for my son who is on DLA, I can't claim carers as I get too much money (I think the limit is 116 a week) but get a carers premium as I have an underlining entitlement to carers.
    Originally posted by Vickimichelle
    Are you sure about that? Carers Premium is only added when taking into account as Income for a means tested benefit.

How are you paid this Carer Premium? It's 34.60 per week and it's added to an existing Income Related benefit.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 10th Mar 18, 6:34 AM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 2,550 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:34 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:34 AM
    Thank you both for your answers. I'm jumping the gun a little. My Dad has recently applied for Pip which he will likely get awarded hopefully. I have been doing alot of care recently over the last few months since his became very ill. He doesn't get any income based benefit at the moment but is part of a joint ESA claim with my mom. They don't get any SDP as far as I'm aware so it looks like once my dad has pip awarded hopefully. It may be good idea for me to swiftly apply for Carers Allowance.
    Then he does claim an Income Related benefit because of the joint claim. No they wouldn't get SDP because you need a disability benefit for this as well as the other criteria.

Does your mum claim a disability benefit? DLA/PIP/AA?
    • Dan27
    • By Dan27 10th Mar 18, 8:06 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Dan27
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:06 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:06 AM
    Then he does claim an Income Related benefit because of the joint claim. No they wouldn't get SDP because you need a disability benefit for this as well as the other criteria.

Does your mum claim a disability benefit? DLA/PIP/AA?
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Yes but again she doesnt get severe disability payment as far as I'm aware. Just gets enhanced disability as part of ESA
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 10th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 2,550 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    Yes but again she doesnt get severe disability payment as far as I'm aware. Just gets enhanced disability as part of ESA
    If she claims daily living PIP, DLA mid/high rate care or AA and your dad is awarded PIP daily living then they can claim the couples SDP which is 124.90 extra per week on top of the ESA. If you claim Carers Allowance for you dad then they will lose out on 62.45 per week because only 1 of them would be able to claim SDP. If this is the case i'd advice you to think carefully before claiming CA.

Lots to think about IF your dad is awarded the PIP.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 10th Mar 18, 10:51 AM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 2,550 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:51 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:51 AM
    I just seen your other thread here. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5805219 and noticed that you claim Contribution based ESA. Unfortunately this means you won't be able to claim Carers Allowance because of the overlapping benefit rule. The Carers Premium can not paid on top of a Contribution based benefit, they are only paid on top of Income Related benefits.
    See here. https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/benefits-and-tax-credits-you-can-claim-as-a-carer
    • Dan27
    • By Dan27 10th Mar 18, 11:13 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Dan27
    I just seen your other thread here. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5805219 and noticed that you claim Contribution based ESA. Unfortunately this means you won't be able to claim Carers Allowance because of the overlapping benefit rule. The Carers Premium can not paid on top of a Contribution based benefit, they are only paid on top of Income Related benefits.
    See here. https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/benefits-and-tax-credits-you-can-claim-as-a-carer
    My contributions one has now run out and I now claim income related esa. I've been switched for a few years now.
    • Dan27
    • By Dan27 10th Mar 18, 11:16 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Dan27
    If she claims daily living PIP, DLA mid/high rate care or AA and your dad is awarded PIP daily living then they can claim the couples SDP which is 124.90 extra per week on top of the ESA. If you claim Carers Allowance for you dad then they will lose out on 62.45 per week because only 1 of them would be able to claim SDP. If this is the case i'd advice you to think carefully before claiming CA.

Lots to think about IF your dad is awarded the PIP.
    Yes because I don't know yet but it's very Likely will be awarded thank you for your help. Still don't know what to do or whether to advise them to apply for SDP when my dad gets his pip award. Is that better then to have some confidence.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 10th Mar 18, 11:24 AM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 2,550 Thanks
    poppy12345
    My contributions one has now run out and I now claim income related esa. I've been switched for a few years now.
    Ah yes, i see it was a different person with similar name :P lol.

The best thing to do is wait to see what happens with the PIP award. If successful then obviously couples SDP will be better for your parents, otherwise they will lose out on money.
    • epitome
    • By epitome 10th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    epitome
    Dan27,

You currently get ESA IR. Your ESA C ran out a while back.

Your parents claim ESA IR.... does anyone else live with them?
    Your mum gets what...DLA or PIP is it DLA Care Middle or High or PIP Care (Daily Living) standard or enhanced?

If your dad gets PIP care standard or enhanced and they live with no-one else. and your mum gets the required DLA or PIP. Then they would qualify for the additional SDP at 125 per week couple rate (62 each). But this money is supposed to be used by them to pay for additional services -like you to help care for them, i,e, they pay you your expenses.

As you are on ESA if they pay you to care for them it can theoretically cause problems for you because you should declare any income to your ESA. So the easiest way to do it is for you to claim Carer's Allowance, you still get the same money 62 per week the DWP automatically takes this off your ESA IR as income, but they give you a premium of 34.95 per week, which you would not get if you did it the other way round your dad giving you the 62 a week that he gets.

Based on what you said so far, if you claim CA you will be 34.95 a week better off on benefits.

You can claim CA to care for your mum now assuming she has the requisite DLA/PIP and assuming no-one is already claiming CA to care for her.

Is anyone already claiming CA to care for your mum?

If no-one is paid CA to care for your mum...but you are paid CA to care for your dad, then your mum can apply for single rate SDP 62 per week on her ESA claim. In other words she won't lose the whole 125 if you claim CA for your dad.

Also you claiming CA can entitle you again to ESA Conts in the future -should you need it- In 2020 you could be entitled to ESA Conts again....this can be quite useful for some people.
    Last edited by epitome; 10-03-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 10th Mar 18, 1:11 PM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 2,550 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Dan27,

You currently get ESA IR. Your ESA C ran out a while back.

Your parents claim ESA IR.... does anyone else live with them?
    Your mum gets what...DLA or PIP is it DLA Care Middle or High or PIP Care (Daily Living) standard or enhanced?

If your dad gets PIP care standard or enhanced and they live with no-one else. and your mum gets the required DLA or PIP. Then they would qualify for the additional SDP at 125 per week couple rate (62 each). But this money is supposed to be used by them to pay for additional services -like you to help care for them, i,e, they pay you your expenses.

As you are on ESA if they pay you to care for them it can theoretically cause problems for you because you should declare any income to your ESA. So the easiest way to do it is for you to claim Carer's Allowance, you still get the same money 62 per week the DWP automatically takes this off your ESA IR as income, but they give you a premium of 34.95 per week, which you would not get if you did it the other way round your dad giving you the 62 a week that he gets.

Based on what you said so far, if you claim CA you will be 34.95 a week better off on benefits.

You can claim CA to care for your mum now assuming she has the requisite DLA/PIP and assuming no-one is already claiming CA to care for her.

Is anyone already claiming CA to care for your mum?

If no-one is paid CA to care for your mum...but you are paid CA to care for your dad, then your mum can apply for single rate SDP 62 per week on her ESA claim. In other words she won't lose the whole 125 if you claim CA for your dad.

Also you claiming CA can entitle you again to ESA Conts in the future -should you need it- In 2020 you could be entitled to ESA Conts again....this can be quite useful for some people.
    Originally posted by epitome
    Which is all pretty much what i've been saying. The OP father hasn't yet got a PIP award....
    • Vickimichelle
    • By Vickimichelle 3rd May 18, 11:28 PM
    • 1,642 Posts
    • 6,107 Thanks
    Vickimichelle
    Are you sure about that? Carers Premium is only added when taking into account as Income for a means tested benefit.

How are you paid this Carer Premium? It's 34.60 per week and it's added to an existing Income Related benefit.
    Yes, I'm on CB based ESA in the support group so get more than the 116 I can earn to claim carers for my son on DLA. Due to this I instead get the carers premium due to my underlining entitlement. This means I now get CB & IR ESA.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,609Posts Today

7,573Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin