Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TheEffect
    • By TheEffect 9th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    • 2,239Posts
    • 1,753Thanks
    TheEffect
    New rental - Did not take water meter reading
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    New rental - Did not take water meter reading 9th Mar 18 at 8:34 PM
    I moved into a rental flat at the end of January. When completing my 'check in', they couldn't find the water meter, so this was left off the inventory.

I phoned Affinity Water who said the water meter was outside the block of flats, so I just set up a direct debit for £30 a month, as I couldn't see where the meter was.

I've only just noticed the water meter is on the sidewalk outside. It was covered with dirt so I could not see it.

My question is, I will get a meter reading tomorrow and give this to affinity water, however am I now liable for all of the unpaid water bills for the rental property, as I did not give a meter reading when I moved in.

How will they know how much water I've used since January to now?
    If the previous tenant has run up a large water bill and not paid it, how would they know how much of the meter reading is mine, and how much is theirs?

Page 1
    • Mickygg
    • By Mickygg 9th Mar 18, 8:43 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    Mickygg
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:43 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:43 PM
    It is very much up to you to provide the reading.

What probably has happened is the previous tenants provided a meter reading when they left so the water company will use this.

Ask the water company when they last got a meter reading, hopefully they will say end of January and all will be fine.
    • TheEffect
    • By TheEffect 9th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 1,753 Thanks
    TheEffect
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    It is very much up to you to provide the reading.

What probably has happened is the previous tenants provided a meter reading when they left so the water company will use this.

Ask the water company when they last got a meter reading, hopefully they will say end of January and all will be fine.
    Originally posted by Mickygg
    Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow.

On my online account, it only states a physical reading was taken nearly a year ago.

Reading Date Type
    20 26/01/2018 Estimated Read (When I moved in)
    20 07/04/2017 Company Actual Read
    0 05/10/2016 Company Actual Read

Looks like Company Actual Reading in April 2017 was 20. The estimated reading when I moved in on 26th Jan was 20... are they assuming zero water has been used between these dates?

The letting agent didn't know where the water meter was either, so not holding out much hope the previous tenant gave meter readings.

I'm dreading giving a reading and getting a £500 bill.
    Last edited by TheEffect; 09-03-2018 at 8:58 PM.

• TheEffect
    • By TheEffect 10th Mar 18, 8:11 AM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 1,753 Thanks
    TheEffect
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:11 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:11 AM
    I have spoken to Affinity Water this morning. They are sending someone out to take a meter reading.

They are saying according to their records, no one has lived at the property since 2015. I know there has been tenants here, and when I moved in, there was a letter from the water company dated a week . before stating 'Welcome to your new home, please set up an account with us', so I'm assuming the previous tenant must have let them know he left.

Affinity Water have told me not to worry though, as I will not be charged for water before my move in date. They'll take a reading and make an estimate.

My concern, is if they believe no one has lived at the property before me, they're going to assume I've used 2 years worth of water in 1 month since I moved in.

• t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 10th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 1,874 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    What they may well do is take readings a couple of weeks apart and estimate use from that.
    • Icecannon
    • By Icecannon 10th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Icecannon
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    They will estimate it on how many people live there, and also how much you use for your next month Of useage.

Water is not the expensive part of your bill, the standing charges etc are, so they are not to bother on charging you for the exact amount of water.

They Canít charge you for the time you were not there, you are worrying to much.
    Last edited by Icecannon; 10-03-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,299Posts Today

7,849Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin