Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emperorstevee
    • By emperorstevee 9th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    • 83Posts
    • 27Thanks
    emperorstevee
    Creating an online shop
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    Creating an online shop 9th Mar 18 at 7:59 PM
    Hello everyone,

As you know, I help my girlfriend with selling things online, primarily through Ebay. Recently, I have been advertising some of the listings online. Whilst these ads get a lot of attention - a large number of people like and share the advertisement - it doesn't seem to be generating actual sales. I am considering the fact that it would perhaps be more effective to have these ads link to listings on an online store which I would own, that way the seller won't be exposed to a lot of other sellers that always manage to sell at a cheaper price. I've heard of a lot of successful people that start up a shop on Shopify and then use Facebook to bring traffic to their site. I would like to do something like this, where do you think the best place would be to start?

Thank you
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Mar 18, 8:19 AM
    • 60,307 Posts
    • 42,968 Thanks
    soolin
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:19 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:19 AM
    I recall that you were not doing too well on eBay as you were drop shipping, is that still the case? If so you need to address that question rather than just start up new shops all over the place.

I sell on eBay, also via a Facebook shop , etsy and SHpock , eBay is by far the biggest market by a huge margin, the other places are for odds and ends of sales. However, if you are drop shipping you will not be able to compete with other people who have stock in hand and will just waste time setting up other options.

Also, in previous posts there was a suggestion your goods were from China, and at one point you mentioned nerdy items so the suggestion is that these would be knock offs, so most legal outlets for sale would not be suitable for you.

However, assuming you have changed your stock and now have physical legal stock why not look at Amazon , it hasn't really suited me due to costs and jumping through a lot of hoops, but others seem to be doing well.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • fewgroats
    • By fewgroats 10th Mar 18, 8:29 AM
    • 428 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    fewgroats
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:29 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:29 AM
    You always start with research. What sells sells, but it might not sell forever.

Dropshipping doesn't work, if the items sold they would just sell, rather than be available to Dropship.
    ASK & ANSWER CHALLENGE. ASKS:3. ANSWER: 2.
    • Zandy_23
    • By Zandy_23 11th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Zandy_23
    • 11th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    Aside from Facebook ads you can also use Instagram to promote your products. Look for videos online that talks about online selling using facebook ads as there are a bunch. I've tried dropshipping a few months back but couldn't keep up with it due to my current work. Dropshipping sounds easy but there's a lot of work behind and most of which deal with research and promotions. Good luck!
    • LuxuryWoman
    • By LuxuryWoman 12th Mar 18, 12:51 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    LuxuryWoman
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:51 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:51 PM
    I agree with the above poster about Instagram, it's a very powerful tool as is Facebook if you know how to use it properly - search groups within Facebook for tutorials, you won't get far without paying for adverts and that is a tricky thing to learn, I mean weeks, maybe months of testing products and budgets.
    There is certainly money to be made selling products but like any business it's not 'get rich quick' you need to put in a lot of work and research to get off the ground.

Pinterest too is massive but again you need to put in lots of work to learn how to use it to your advantage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,282Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin