Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jamieo2000
    • By jamieo2000 9th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jamieo2000
    Parked car damaged - New driver insurance question
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    Parked car damaged - New driver insurance question 9th Mar 18 at 7:59 PM
    Hi all,
    I'm sorry to join the forum and start with a question but I'm desperate for some advice please... I passed my driving test in January and have only had insurance for just over 2 months (2,137p/a), as today was the first bit of decent weather we've had in a while I decided to cycle to work and leave the car at home, upon my return my neighbours informed me that someone had driven in to my car today and had not left their details - they had however noted the registration of the car and showed me CCTV of the car hitting mine (although this isn't that clear).

I've been reading through my policy doccuments and researching online and it appears to me that even though I was not at fault (my car was parked and not being driven), If I try to claim off the person who caused the damaged via. getting their details through ASKMID, it will raise my premiums for the next 5 years as I will have to declare an 'Incident' - even though I wouldn't have to involve my insurance co. (I am aware I would have to tell them) - Is this really the case?, If so I don't know what to do, as either way I would loose money through no fault of my own - I have only seen the damage tonight by torchlight but I'm guessing it will cost me a few hundred pounds to put it right

Can anyone offer me any advice please? - Many thanks in advance,
    Jamie
Page 1
    • z1a
    • By z1a 9th Mar 18, 8:10 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    z1a
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:10 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:10 PM
    Have you informed police?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Mar 18, 8:31 PM
    • 35,568 Posts
    • 19,775 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:31 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:31 PM
    Hi all,
    I'm sorry to join the forum and start with a question but I'm desperate for some advice please... I passed my driving test in January and have only had insurance for just over 2 months (2,137p/a), as today was the first bit of decent weather we've had in a while I decided to cycle to work and leave the car at home, upon my return my neighbours informed me that someone had driven in to my car today and had not left their details - they had however noted the registration of the car and showed me CCTV of the car hitting mine (although this isn't that clear).

I've been reading through my policy doccuments and researching online and it appears to me that even though I was not at fault (my car was parked and not being driven), If I try to claim off the person who caused the damaged via. getting their details through ASKMID, it will raise my premiums for the next 5 years as I will have to declare an 'Incident' - even though I wouldn't have to involve my insurance co. (I am aware I would have to tell them) - Is this really the case?, If so I don't know what to do, as either way I would loose money through no fault of my own - I have only seen the damage tonight by torchlight but I'm guessing it will cost me a few hundred pounds to put it right

Can anyone offer me any advice please? - Many thanks in advance,
    Jamie
    Originally posted by jamieo2000

You are correct

Do dummy quotes online with and without this incident/claim in your history to see what difference it will make to future premiums
    • facade
    • By facade 9th Mar 18, 9:57 PM
    • 3,142 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    facade
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:57 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:57 PM
    Do NOT use your OWN name & address or your OWN registration number for the dummy quotes. Some people report that dummy quotes are followed up by insurers who have information about "undeclared claims/convictions" that can only have come from dummy quotes filled in online.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • missile
    • By missile 9th Mar 18, 10:01 PM
    • 9,443 Posts
    • 4,698 Thanks
    missile
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:01 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:01 PM
    It is a condition of your policy that you must declare all incidents. Your base premium will increase. It is unfair and whilst it may be unlikely, if you are caught not declaring consequences may be far worse for you.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • mojo1
    • By mojo1 9th Mar 18, 11:16 PM
    • 734 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    mojo1
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:16 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:16 PM
    1. Report this to the police. Driving away from the scene of an accident is a criminal offence.

2. Get their details from ASKMID. Call their insurance company and begin a claim.

3. Do dummy quotes. Be careful, use the private browsing mode of your browser and fake details. Get an idea of how much it is going to jack up your premiums, and then add that to the cost of the claim. You will have to do this every year for the next five years.

Basically their insurance company is liable for the increase in your premium, which is nothing compared to what the criminal will face when convicted.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 10th Mar 18, 8:02 AM
    • 3,293 Posts
    • 3,507 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:02 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:02 AM
    Yes it will, happened to me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,217Posts Today

8,439Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin