Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hoc
    • By hoc 9th Mar 18, 7:09 PM
    • 234Posts
    • 140Thanks
    hoc
    Extra multiple accounts- empty out or close?
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:09 PM
    Extra multiple accounts- empty out or close? 9th Mar 18 at 7:09 PM
    I have a number of accounts from the easy high interest heydays which are really no longer worth the trouble following repeated interest cuts and in some cases additional requirements like direct debits. A good example would be my 3 Bank of Scotland accounts. In some cases it will no longer be possible to have multiple accounts such as the 2 TSB accounts I have.

What is the general MSE recommendation on what to do? I can close/switch or keep open with a few quid. I see benefits in both short and long term but can't decide.
Page 1
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 10th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    • 4,986 Posts
    • 13,267 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    My own approach is to close down the instant access type accounts that savings products mature into, but retain other accounts for a while (depending on circumstances) if there is no cost of doing so. I'd always keep at least one account going with each FI.

After April I probably won't need my 123 account or one of the BoS accounts, but neither will be closed. I'll downgrade the 123 to an Everyday account and the third BoS will be fed with a small SO once a month so it has some activity going on, even if the average monthly balance will be low.

I was in two minds about closing my 123 Credit Card last year when the cashback was reduced, but kept it running in an inactive state. I'm glad I did as I'm now hoping to be able to reactivate the account and start using it again.

For the same reason I'd also consider opening accounts which have some attraction, but possibly not fitting in with my current needs. For example the Natwest Savings Builder account is not an especially attractive account, but if I didn't have one I'd probably be applying for one before I switched or closed my NatWest current account. It has some uses and there's no telling when it might be withdrawn or made less attractive for new customers.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • colsten
    • By colsten 10th Mar 18, 11:43 AM
    • 9,010 Posts
    • 7,757 Thanks
    colsten
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:43 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:43 AM
    I am closing savings accounts as and when they no longer serve any useful purpose. For example, 5 of my 6 Tesco savings accounts will be closed when Tesco stop doing DDs. The 6th one stays for the time being as it has a decent-ish interest rate for an instant access account but see above.

Most of my interest-earning current accounts will remain for as long as I am able to meet the eligibility criteria for earning interest / rewards, either directly in the current account, or in a linked savings account. I also retain a few dormant current accounts in case another suitable switching offer appears. Another account I retain is my Nationwide FlexAccount, as it's one of the oldest accounts I have and as I value the free travel insurance that comes with it (no longer on offer for new applicants).

Like with so many things, it all depends on your personal needs and choices, and there is no single answer that applies to everybody.
    • hoc
    • By hoc 10th Mar 18, 2:28 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    hoc
    • 10th Mar 18, 2:28 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 2:28 PM
    Don't inactive accounts get flagged and eventually cause issues e.g. banks informing they will close your accounts?

I'm not talking about savings accounts, those are quite obvious and sensible to close. Something like holding onto a second and third BOS or second TSB account which in future may not be possible to reopen which I may then regret if one day interest rates ever go back up to 5% levels. But not if it risks getting a letter saying all my accounts with that institution will be closed as has been reported increasingly on here.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 10th Mar 18, 3:05 PM
    • 30,152 Posts
    • 18,004 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 10th Mar 18, 3:05 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 3:05 PM
    Don't inactive accounts get flagged and eventually cause issues e.g. banks informing they will close your accounts?
    Originally posted by hoc
    But they wouldn't remain inactive would they? You'd be cycling cash through them to keep them ticking over.

I still have an RBS Select potential donor account left over from the YB/CB bonanza 3 years ago. It didn't see any action for 2 years, but now sees the odd transaction now and again just to avoid any dormancy policy rules.

When I emptied several of my 3% current accounts (a few BoS and maybe a brace of Lloyds) a couple of years ago I carried on with the monthly funding merry-go-round. I even left my Tesco 750 credits going in each month, just to double up the activity levels.

Some of our YB CADs have been empty for a good while now, but they still see 1K a month passing through.

In short, I'd keep all the accounts you have now...because you've far more to lose than you have to gain by closing them.
    • hoc
    • By hoc 10th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    hoc
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    My understanding was a small balance and small activity would cause issues. I have BOS accounts with 5k for the interest. I was planning to reduce balance to 50 quid and do a monthly SO of a fiver and occasionally spend but I'm not sure this is good enough. I don't want to cycle larger amounts.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 10th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 30,152 Posts
    • 18,004 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    My understanding was a small balance and small activity would cause issues. I have BOS accounts with 5k for the interest. I was planning to reduce balance to 50 quid and do a monthly SO of a fiver and occasionally spend but I'm not sure this is good enough. I don't want to cycle larger amounts.
    Originally posted by hoc
    I think you should close them, to save you inconvenience and worry.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 11th Mar 18, 7:18 AM
    • 468 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    18cc
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:18 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:18 AM
    If you do decide to close any of your current accounts you may find it easier to 'switch' them into an existing account rather than go through the hassle of actually closing it

The switch will close it for you and in my opinion applying for switch is much quicker and easier and trying to close an account down other people may agree or disagree
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,059Posts Today

5,628Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin