Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • valio247
    • By valio247 9th Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 4Thanks
    valio247
    Work closure due to snow
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    Work closure due to snow 9th Mar 18 at 6:49 PM
    I am employed part-time by a County Council run Children’s Unit, last week due to the snow the decision was made by senior management to close the unit for 4 days – rather like just about every school in the County. During this period I was due to have worked for 2 of those days for 6 hours per day (12 hours in total) and today learned that this time has been taken off my Annual Leave Allowance which I have disputed the validity of this decision.

There is a Policy covering inclement weather which states that if people are unable to attend work due to the weather they can agree with their Line Manager to take the lost time as Annual Leave or work extra shifts/time to make up the lost hours - fair enough.

However my argument is that the Unit was closed by Council Management therefore they cannot ‘force’ me to take this as Annual Leave. In reality I would not have been able to get into work for the first day however I would have attended the second day had the Unit been open.

Therefore my questions are: Given these circumstances can they make me take the 12 hours as Annual Leave and secondly as an alternative are they within their rights to request I work to make up the extra hours?

I would be fairly confident in stating that all the school teachers in the county who had time off due to school closures will not be taking it as leave or working extra hours and we share the same employer and policies. This would be my argument if they requested I work for extra time.

Many thanks for anyone's comments/thoughts.
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    • 20,117 Posts
    • 15,840 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    They can if the appropriate amount of notice was given - twice as long as the period of leave to be taken, which in your case may be 2 days (if the days due to be worked were separate) or 4 days (if they were consecutive).
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 9th Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    • 6,610 Posts
    • 5,103 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    Since this would have affected others, what is the unions position on the development?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
    • valio247
    • By valio247 9th Mar 18, 7:40 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    valio247
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:40 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:40 PM
    agrinnall - the closure was on first day of snow (one of the days I would not have been working), however no notice was given.

ohreally - it will have affected many 100's of people county wise, not sure on union as far as I am aware it has not escalated that far yet. Most people including many of my work colleagues are not happy but seem to go along with the inclement weather policy but my view remains that this scenario is different due to closure by senior management.

Thanks for the comments.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 9th Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    • 6,487 Posts
    • 8,414 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    ACAS's website suggests thast if they closed, they have to pay you.

Paying workers when an employer decides to close
    Workers who were ready, available and willing to work will usually be entitled to their normal pay:

if their employer fully or partly closes their business
    if their employer reduces their hours
    if other essential staff such as line managers are unable to get into work
    if staff who provide access to the building are unable to get into work.
    Some contracts and workplace policies will say what workers need to do in special circumstances like these. This might include things like working at the nearest accessible workplace, doing other duties or working from home.

Some contracts may allow employers to 'lay off' some staff without pay. However, it must be completely clear how the circumstances apply and anyone with employee status will usually have a right to a statutory guarantee payment. For more information see Lay offs.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Mar 18, 8:39 AM
    • 20,117 Posts
    • 15,840 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:39 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:39 AM
    agrinnall - the closure was on first day of snow (one of the days I would not have been working), however no notice was given.
    Originally posted by valio247
    In that case they cannot require you to take holiday for the first day.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 10th Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    • 4,273 Posts
    • 4,684 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    [There is a Policy covering inclement weather which states that if people are unable to attend work due to the weather they can agree with their Line Manager to take the lost time as Annual Leave or work extra shifts/time to make up the lost hours - fair enough.
    Originally posted by valio247
    As this is the policy, I suggest you request a meeting with your Line Manager, and discuss.

On the face of it, they are not reasonable in forcing you to take a day's holiday, but go to the meeting armed with the policy and ask why. If no sensible answer, then you will have to raise a grievance.

Do you or your colleague have a union?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,291Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin