Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • simonali
    • By simonali 9th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    simonali
    Headlight failed
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    Headlight failed 9th Mar 18 at 6:46 PM
    Evening all,

My wife has a Vauxhall Mokka and one of the headlights has failed in a spectacular fashion. The car is over 3 years old, but not yet 4 and has what they call AFL headlights. They have requested a photo of the failed unit and have now replied stating that the whole thing needs replacing and that the cost to my wife will be 849!

I find it totally unacceptable that a sealed and obviously unrepairable headlight has failed after just 3.5 years and that we need to cough up 850 quid to replace a part that should reasonably expected to last as long as the rest of the car.

Is there any recourse we can take other than just rolling over and praying the other side doesn't fail while we're being shafted?

I would post a photo, but I'm not allowed to.
Page 2
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Mar 18, 11:25 AM
    • 17,602 Posts
    • 15,968 Thanks
    AdrianC
    When I were a lad my parents had a !!!8220;proper!!!8221; TV, when it went wrong and a thump on the top of it didn!!!8217;t work, you got a !!!8220;man!!!8221; in, who took the back off replaced a valve or two and it was as good as new again (till next time) Now the whole TV thrown out and a new one brought.
    Originally posted by I am spartacus
    But the big difference there is that bringing buying the new one is about the same price as an hour or two of skilled labour with overheads. It's not just repairmen that modern TVs have put out of business - it's Radio Rentals, too. New TVs are ridiculously cheap compared to what they used to be, some of which is due to technical advances (tubes are very hard to manufacture compared to even huge flat screens), and some of which is due to not designing-in repairability. Again, there's a vicious circle there - look at how simple an old TV was, with mechanical tuning for the handful of channels, and how much space there was internally.

And if you think I'm exaggerating...
    Spring 1980 Argos catalogue... page 199. Pye 14" colour portable TV, 225. Don't even ask about a video recorder... That's not Joe Public-level consumer technology for a few more years. Even 1980 is a generation after TVs with valves in - they died out with the transistor revolution in the 1960s.

After inflation, that's nearly 1,100 in today's money. Sod the inflation - even if you'd put it under your mattress, 225 buys you a Toshiba 32" Smart HD TV. You don't even need a video - just plug a cheap USB drive into it. Or watch the prog later online. Don't need smart? Happy to plug a 30 Roku into a USB port for that? 150 will see you walk out of the supermarket with a 32" TV under your arm.

It's the same with this kind of headlight. There's simply no comparison with old H4 headlights, dip or main only. This is technology that's been around for a decade - but could not have been dreamed of a decade before that. And now a single new headlight is more expensive than some of the cars with them fitted...
    Last edited by AdrianC; 13-03-2018 at 11:29 AM.
    • facade
    • By facade 13th Mar 18, 7:49 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 1,689 Thanks
    facade
    All this technology just seems like (expensive) solutions looking for "problems" to solve to me.

My H4 bulbs light the road up fine, and the only adaptive thing I need is the ability to dip them when faced with oncoming traffic.

Even the TV you refer to, I know I got a better picture on my old 625 line panasonic than I get from the blocky low bit rate SD broadcasts that take up most of the channels now, and it was still working fine at about 20 years old when they turned off analogue transmission.
    (Indisputably 1080p provides a better picture, but there aren't many free HD channels.)

I'm not saying that the modern stuff isn't technically "better" and more advanced, just that I don't really need it to be, and certainly don't want to pay a massive premium for it.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • ic
    • By ic 13th Mar 18, 8:00 PM
    • 2,591 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    ic
    Did you buy the car new? Thought that Vauxhalls had a lifetime warranty (100,000 miles) to the first owner? Was that started when you purchased (if you were the first owner)
    Originally posted by JP1978
    I thought this too, but its long gone...
    Vauxhall has announced that its much trumpeted 'lifetime warranty', which lasted 100,000 miles and an unlimited amount of time for the first owner of the car, is being dropped as of January 2015, in favour of a traditional three year/ 60,000-mile transferable warranty.
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 13th Mar 18, 8:21 PM
    • 1,367 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    z1a
    Spring 1980 Argos catalogue... page 199. Pye 14" colour portable TV, 225.[/URL] Don't even ask about a video recorder... That's not Joe Public-level consumer technology for a few more years. Even 1980 is a generation after TVs with valves in - they died out with the transistor revolution in the 1960s.

by

And if you think I'm exaggerating...
    [URL="https://issuu.com/retromash/docs/argos-no13-1980-springsummer"
    No, I bought a Ferguson videostar 3V23 in 1981. Cost me 699 though!
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 13th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    • 2,791 Posts
    • 8,521 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    In a few years all cars will be fitted with adaptive LED lights. We'll all be used to them, and if you want an H4 bulb for your "classic" then it'll cost you an arm and a leg.
    The problem that early adopters of anything have is that they pay a big price for often relatively unreliable kit.
    Anyone remember how CD writers for the PC were when they first became available?

For myself though, I still miss acetylene lights on cars. . .
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
    • facade
    • By facade 13th Mar 18, 9:51 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 1,689 Thanks
    facade
    For myself though, I still miss acetylene lights on cars. . .
    Originally posted by Jackmydad
    And to prove you are right about rising prices of the "classic" stuff, calcium carbide is now 22 a kg
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Mar 18, 11:31 PM
    • 17,602 Posts
    • 15,968 Thanks
    AdrianC
    No, I bought a Ferguson videostar 3V23 in 1981. Cost me 699 though!
    Originally posted by z1a
    2,869 today, after inflation.

When I said "not Joe Public-level consumer"...
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 14th Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    • 2,791 Posts
    • 8,521 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    And to prove you are right about rising prices of the "classic" stuff, calcium carbide is now 22 a kg
    Originally posted by facade
    Ouch!
    "Sorry occifer, but my lights had blown out and I never noticed!"
    There was apparently a move at some time in the 1920s to sell acetylene in small exchangeable bottles. I remember seeing a motorbike in (probably) Classic Bike or similar fitted with such a cylinder. Apparently it never caught on. Electric lights came in and killed the idea.
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

55Posts Today

2,909Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin