Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • simonali
    • By simonali 9th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    simonali
    Headlight failed
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    Headlight failed 9th Mar 18 at 6:46 PM
    Evening all,

My wife has a Vauxhall Mokka and one of the headlights has failed in a spectacular fashion. The car is over 3 years old, but not yet 4 and has what they call AFL headlights. They have requested a photo of the failed unit and have now replied stating that the whole thing needs replacing and that the cost to my wife will be £849!

I find it totally unacceptable that a sealed and obviously unrepairable headlight has failed after just 3.5 years and that we need to cough up 850 quid to replace a part that should reasonably expected to last as long as the rest of the car.

Is there any recourse we can take other than just rolling over and praying the other side doesn't fail while we're being shafted?

I would post a photo, but I'm not allowed to.
Page 1
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 9th Mar 18, 6:48 PM
    • 2,457 Posts
    • 1,609 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:48 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:48 PM
    Do you have a full dealer history as this will help when requesting a goodwill contribution. Ask the dealer to do this for you, or contact Vauxhall yourself if no joy
    • bob_a_builder
    • By bob_a_builder 9th Mar 18, 7:23 PM
    • 1,572 Posts
    • 757 Thanks
    bob_a_builder
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:23 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:23 PM
    What was spectacular about its failure - apart from the price
    • z1a
    • By z1a 9th Mar 18, 8:13 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 1,191 Thanks
    z1a
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:13 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:13 PM
    What was spectacular about its failure - apart from the price
    Originally posted by bob_a_builder
    I wondered that too.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 9th Mar 18, 10:51 PM
    • 7,471 Posts
    • 5,954 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:51 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:51 PM
    This is how car manufacturers are working in obsolescence now tin worm is irradicated. Lots of largely unecessary !!!8216;improvements!!!8217 that cost hundreds/thousands to replace.

IIRC an XF headlamp unit needs changing even if a couple of LEDs costing pennies fail and it will be £1200+

OP you can post a photo. Post a link with a space in the address and a regular will repost with a live link.
    Last edited by daveyjp; 09-03-2018 at 10:54 PM.
    • simonali
    • By simonali 10th Mar 18, 12:36 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    simonali
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:36 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 12:36 AM
    ht tps://pho tos.app.go o.gl/jPP8Ai5MJivnmfnp1

Remove the spaces and all will be revealed.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 10th Mar 18, 1:10 AM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 11,227 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:10 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:10 AM
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 10th Mar 18, 5:54 AM
    • 833 Posts
    • 1,849 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 10th Mar 18, 5:54 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 5:54 AM
    Just incase you don't have any joy with Vauxhall, you might want to keep an eye on eBay, there are a few nearside headlights of the same specification currently for sale, I'm sure an offside will turn up eventually. No guarantee it will last though.

It may be possible to convert to standard headlights but you would need to do some research on this, I'm sure there will be control unit and wiring differences.

Good luck with the dealer though, hopefully some form of goodwill will be offered.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    May's targets - Lose 1 stone - 6lbs off, 18/31 AFDs, 12/18 lunches.
    37 x £2 coins (#32) - Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022
    • simonali
    • By simonali 12th Mar 18, 7:02 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    simonali
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:02 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:02 PM
    No joy. Vauxhall Customer Care (there's a misnomer if ever I heard one) told us tough luck. My wife added almost every option to the car when she bought it brand new, took their finance, uses their insurance and has had it serviced on time every year at the same dealership. How much more of a better customer could she possibly be?!
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 12th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    • 2,814 Posts
    • 1,957 Thanks
    EssexExile
    I've had Vauxhalls since 1984, not found a good dealer yet & Vauxhall themselves have been no use.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 12th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    • 2,238 Posts
    • 3,049 Thanks
    Robisere
    I've had Vauxhalls since 1984, not found a good dealer yet & Vauxhall themselves have been no use.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Not criticism or sarcasm, but why then have you continued to buy Vauxhalls since 1984, if you are so unhappy with the dealers and manufacturer? I had two successive Vauxhalls ('95 and '98) that gave me grief, never had another.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 12th Mar 18, 9:06 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    That headlight is costing way more than I paid for my Mercedes (complete car) and have been running for over five years with no significant bills.
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 12th Mar 18, 9:12 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    JP1978
    Did you buy the car new? Thought that Vauxhalls had a lifetime warranty (100,000 miles) to the first owner? Was that started when you purchased (if you were the first owner)
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 12th Mar 18, 9:19 PM
    • 2,814 Posts
    • 1,957 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Not criticism or sarcasm, but why then have you continued to buy Vauxhalls since 1984, if you are so unhappy with the dealers and manufacturer? I had two successive Vauxhalls ('95 and '98) that gave me grief, never had another.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    The first two cars were great, the rest were supplied by my employer & they were great too. It's the dealers that were useless & the manufacturer did little to help.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 12th Mar 18, 9:23 PM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    m0bov
    How did you pay for the car? Is it on finance?

You'd need to pursue the SUPPLYING dealer under your SOGA, contact them and claiming under that, NOT the warranty.
    • jonnyd281
    • By jonnyd281 12th Mar 18, 10:48 PM
    • 515 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    jonnyd281
    Are you sure something hasn't hit the headlight, like a stone or something?
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 12th Mar 18, 11:33 PM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    LeeUK
    One of the things to do before buying a car is to see if the headlight bulb can be changed in under 5 minutes with no special tools. If not walk away.

£849 for a headlight unit that you have to change when the bulbs go? lolwut!
    • facade
    • By facade 13th Mar 18, 6:36 AM
    • 3,142 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    facade
    It doesn't look .like the bulb has gone.

AFAIK, vauxhalls of that age have a "proper" bulb (that you can change) behind that lens, and that ring is supposed to oscillate frantically when you go along, making the beams wave around like a searchlight looking for a German raider in 1939. (There was a software "fix" that made it slightly better...)
    There will be a servo motor of some sort attached to that ring, and that is what is broken.

I'd be looking to replace the headlamps with 2 bits of plywood with 7" round headlamps and a couple of indicators screwed to themt rather than pay £800 for a headlamp

The newer ones will be LED and even more expensive.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Mar 18, 9:16 AM
    • 17,356 Posts
    • 15,700 Thanks
    AdrianC
    "AFL" lights are Opel's "Adaptive Forward Lights", HIDs, so no normal filament bulb. What's failed is not the HID discharge unit itself, the "bulb", but the electro-mechanical unit that moves the beam around in response to areas the car perceives light is/isn't needed. They respond to a variety of inputs, including speed/weather/steering/indicators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCHG9148XcY

So, no, there's no choice but to replace the entire unit. Whether you replace with new or used is your choice, of course. If you can get a goodwill payment from Vauxhall, then great - but the car is out of warranty, so it's not guaranteed by any stretch. Use their goodwill (or lack of) to guide your future purchasing decisions.
    • I am spartacus
    • By I am spartacus 13th Mar 18, 10:45 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    I am spartacus
    We are all the manufacturers cash cows.
    All the modern improvements on items that can’t be repaired and have to have the whole unit replaced rather than the failed bit.
    When I were a lad my parents had a “proper” TV, when it went wrong and a thump on the top of it didn’t work, you got a “man” in, who took the back off replaced a valve or two and it was as good as new again (till next time) Now the whole TV thrown out and a new one brought.
    Also the printers where the replacement ink cost more per ml than petrol, and that's saying something!
    Morning rant over, thank you I feel better for that.
    I am, therefore I think.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,083Posts Today

5,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin