Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AdvicePlease
    • By AdvicePlease 9th Mar 18, 6:34 PM
    • 167Posts
    • 38Thanks
    AdvicePlease
    Bankruptcy and credit report
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:34 PM
    Bankruptcy and credit report 9th Mar 18 at 6:34 PM
    I know it is a really basic question (sorry!) but when will my bankruptcy come off my credit report?

I was made bankrupt in May 2012 and it was discharged on 2nd May 2013 - some reports seem to say it will come off after 6 years (so May 2018) and some seem to say 7 years (so May 2019)

Could anyone let me know which it is please? And how quickly would I see a difference in my credit rating?
Page 1
    • philnicandevan
    • By philnicandevan 9th Mar 18, 6:59 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    philnicandevan
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:59 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:59 PM
    Its 6yrs from date of being declared...

example

I filed Jan 2006 so off credit files in 2012

leave your credit files worries till a month or two AFTER discharge, once then look at the clean up sticky here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=677875

once everything is as it should be eventually try 30 day mobile contracts home shopping etc...while the bankruptcy shows on your files it will make lenders VERY twitchy eventually time is the only thing that will make your credit file look better
    Last edited by philnicandevan; 09-03-2018 at 7:01 PM.
    Not quite a newbie as you think (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..
    BSC 58
    • AdvicePlease
    • By AdvicePlease 9th Mar 18, 7:02 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    AdvicePlease
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:02 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:02 PM
    Thanks very much That is a relief that mine will finally come off in May this year
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,990Posts Today

6,015Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin